2LTE pyro readings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers said:
one man's aceptable is another man's "horribly" loud...
to me, if it was a strickly bush rig then dumping it there MIGHT makes sense but i like them out the side at the back...
cheers

Exactly. Another point, if its near the front, sitting in traffic or putzing on the trail with your window open. You would be sucking fumes everytime the wind changes. Yuck!

Out the back!

brownbear said:
Exactly. Another point, if its near the front, sitting in traffic or putzing on the trail with your window open. You would be sucking fumes everytime the wind changes. Yuck!

Out the back!

That's the reason for it being illegal in BC anyway...I would think...

gb

Last edited:
light_duty said:
If you talk to the Allhead people, they're convinced the heads crack because of cavitation produced by the stock water pump, as well as temp shock caused by steam trapped in the head. In fact, if you buy a head from them, it comes with a kit to allow the gasses to escape the head - they actually tap a fitting into the head and run a hose out of the head to vacate the steam.

But I guess the overall idea is to reduce stresses on the head, and there's no doubt that lower combustion temps equal lower stress.

Robin

[Edit: just as a comparison, my truck was running about 800F with factory exhaust on the highway between Calgary and Lethbridge at a steady 100 kph.]

I'm gaining progress on the engine replacement in my Hilux and had a question concerning the cavitation that the 2LT engine produces...would there be any benefit to running the additive for the cooling system you run in a Ford Diesel to reduce cavitation?

bk

Here a pic of a 2LTE head the half moon machined into the head (factory) is a weak spot (The aluminum 2C heads look identical and crack the same way right between the valves). I would guess that the half moon is to lower compression or to create a quenching effect. I would hope that Toyota didn't intentionally make it a weak spot but it's kinda suspect. I can't count on my fingers and toes how many 2L heads I have changed but they all could have been avoided by proper maintenance. Over half was probably due to running straight water in them leading to rust and clogged cooling systems. Any diesel that you lower the EGT's will make it last longer just the 2L could use it more since it is overworked most of the time. I'm sure it will last alot longer with a freeflowing exhaust.

Last edited:
Wayne are you talking pre or post trubo on these readings, I am replacing my TO4B .60 A/R that came with my 80 bj40 3B with a 48/42 AR T3 and am thinking of putting the pyro in the manifold and thinking those #s for pre turbo are ok but not much more for extended periods. Am I correct ?

Myrle

crushers said:
so i finally got around to installing the pyro into the LJ78 i have been taking on the River Shiver pre-run runs and it is a good thing i did.
the LJ78 that has the stock exhaust was running a bit on the hot side hitting 1100F fairly easy when accelerating. the run last week i crunched the exhaust on the test run LJ78 and thought nothing of it but once the pyro was installed the damage was easily read in teh pyro. the temps run steady at 1000F on the highway even when not accelerating and when climbing the hills in the bush it read 1200F very quickly.
On tures the muffler arrives that i like to use so the new 2 1/2" exhaust will be installed on this truck and i will report back any change that i find with the higher flowing exhaust on the pyro...
i really feel that the high EGTs is the downfall of the 2LT and 2LTE heads...
cheers

on the 2LTE i was runniung the pyro about an inch from the exhaust turbines. on the PZand HZ it is reading in the actual exhaust manifold...
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom