2LT starts blowing blue smoke ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bugger - i notice 2 days ago that my wee landcruiser SWB that has a 2LT has just started to blow a heap of blue smoke , so had a look the oil -dirty among other things , but was half way up the dipstick , so changed out the oil & filter & sure enough same thing , so put that "stop smoke" in the engine oil & its partially stopped the blue & more black now - bbbuuugggggggggeeerrrrr !!!!!- ( I have just started building this 14B as a turbo version & haven't even started the gearbox & T/case yet - so be awhile when its all ready ),

The cruiser is my daily driver . I am pretty certain its the "rings" in the 2LT , curious if anyone has re-ringed & lapped the valves in a 2LT ? does the 2LT have sleeves or not ? what did it cost you to do it ? what are the symtoms of a cracked head in a 2LT ( theres no water in the oil or vice versa ) ?

i'm gettn a bit paranoid of it when ever i drive it , spend more time looking in the side mirror than looking infront of me - LOL

Last edited:
Bugger - i notice 2 days ago that my wee landcruiser SWB that has a 2LT has just started to blow a heap of blue smoke , so had a look the oil -dirty among other things , but was half way up the dipstick , so changed out the oil & filter & sure enough same thing , so put that "stop smoke" in the engine oil & its partially stopped the blue & more black now - bbbuuugggggggggeeerrrrr !!!!!- ( I have just started building this 14B as a turbo version & haven't even started the gearbox & T/case yet - so be awhile when its all ready ),

The cruiser is my daily driver . I am pretty certain its the "rings" in the 2LT , curious if anyone has re-ringed & lapped the valves in a 2LT ? does the 2LT have sleeves or not ? what did it cost you to do it ? what are the symtoms of a cracked head in a 2LT ( theres no water in the oil or vice versa ) ?

i'm gettn a bit paranoid of it when ever i drive it , spend more time looking in the side mirror than looking infront of me - LOL

That sounds like a turbo leaking oil into the intake (or exhaust). No sleeves on the 2LT.
Symptoms of a cracked head : white smoke, bubbling in the coolant, water level dropping,...
How many miles and how good does it start ? do you have a lot of blowby ?

Denis ,

it has s***loads of "Blowbye" , way too much , it starts straight away - after 10 seconds on the glow plug, its done around 235,000 klm - only had it 5 months , so it could have done more , especially being a jap import .

The excessive blowbye ,makes me think rings aswell as the black smoke when i put the thick " Stop smoke" concentrate in it. I'm reall
y curious to pull the head & sump off just to have a look , but rahter spend money gettn my new driveline done sooner .

disconnect the crossover tube and drive it for a while with the tube off. this will tell you if it is the turbo or not...

disconnect the crossover tube and drive it for a while with the tube off. this will tell you if it is the turbo or not...
I've seen a turbo blow blue from the exhaust, with the intake disconnected. It was OK before sitting unused for about 2 months.

if it has lots of blowby you would need either , starting fluid to get it running
anyways if it spitting oil out the crossover tube and no blue smoke, then it is the compressor seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom