2LTE Smokey Start Up Fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! I have a 1996 Toyota Hilux LN112 with the 2LTE and A343F trans. About 220k km. I've owned this truck now for 10 months and it's been a journey. After reading on here I've implemented a lot of the reccommend upgrades/modifications. When I got the truck there was white smoke on cold starts (65 degrees F after sitting over night, so not actually cold haha) and misfiring for about 15 seconds then smoothing out.

The solution for that issue was a few things that improved as I did these. New fuel filter, which wasn't too bad. New fuel filter housing, I found out by pressing firmly down to prime it and diesel fuel leaked out of the top part past the o-ring. Later on, I found out that the battery was weak and suprisingly helped a good bit with that first start in the morning. Decreased the amount of cranks from about 8 turns to 4-5. New air filter that wasn't too bad either. Some fuel injector cleaner improved it barely I think.

After those replacements, looking for diesel tracing the fuel lines all the way back to the tank, she starts up significantly better in the mornings. So I was probably getting air into my fuel lines. At this point there was zero white smoke on start ups and no misfiring.

The glow plugs were replaced since it was $80 and we removed them to do the compression test. This didn't make a difference though, although I thought it would since I had to do 2 glow cycles origionally to get the engine to turn over on first attempt. All cylinders averaged 450 psi which was good news. We checked this while the engine was cold.

Also, the butterfly plate removal when I did the EGR delete did help a little I think with start up. Definetly noticeable difference on acceleration. Engine shut off was more rough, but no more than the other landcruiser guys I hang out with. Worth the trade off for sure. Below is the link of the kit I bought.

The last thing that really made my start ups in the morning flawless were the fuel injectors. Getting some grey smoke at higher speeds while accelerating and a rough idle (a strong steady vibration) that would smooth out once reved led me to believe the injectors might be the culprit. Also, the truck was just slowww. Idle was around 850.

Also, the turbo was replaced with a rebuilt CT20 from Japan. Has a one year warranty. The truck had a slow coolant leak. After process of ilimination, we determined it was that. Didn't have a boost guage on at the time so I don't know what the boost levels were then but it improved the acceleration. We also got 2 new gaskets for the venturi assy since they were degraded. I now have a boost guage and am getting 12 psi of boost. Coolant hasn't gone down for months! The old turbo was corroded on the inside leaking coolant slowly and instantly burning it off.

The injectors were discontinued so I bought some one ebay from here 4 x Diesel Fuel Injectors for Toyota Hilux 2LTE 95-97 23600-59235 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/134840197925
Ordered the little crush washer and copper washer that the injectors get seated on. Also new copper washers with the two little holes in them for the fuel return rail if that's what its called. Really helpful btw to have a torque wrench to ensure you don't leak diesel fuel or over tighten them. Made sure each line was bled of any air and regularly checked for any leaks. All good.

This Austrailian company let me know that they were pressure tested before sent out and were the release pressure was at 155 psi

Now my truck has completely driving characteristics. I remember prior, the truck would rev up slowly from idle. Now it's reving up fast and way more response which is nice. BUT, now when I rev it, dark grey smoke comes out the tail pipe. It's also running richer based off the smell and I think increased EGT's. Just got the guage installed for that a couple days ago. Took it on a drive and going up any hill over 3k rpm, the temp pushes 1300 degrees pre turbo. Cruising at around 60 mph they're reading around 1000-1100 degrees. I also am getting smoke when I hit over 12 psi of boost.

What I've done so far:
- Attempted to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, pressing the brake pedel several times and leaving the headlights switch on overnight
- Also checked the capacitors inside the ECU box for any swelling or leaking. No corrosion anywhere, all good and clean
- I've been emailing the fuel injector company, they doubt it's the injectors, they also have good reviews. Maybe thinking someone tuned the truck to compinsate the faulty injecors. I don't know. They verified that I was sent the correct ones as well. They have a 1 year warranty if I want to replace them.
- Adjusted the Solenoid Spill Valve on the fuel pump counter clockwise a 1/8 until I reached a whole half turn, didn't make a difference at all really. Put it back to the orgional position
- Measured the resistance of the grey and biege resistors on the side since I'm looking into the resistor mod anyway. They seem fine and measured as follows:

Grey .580k ohms with the number 011 on it
Biege .414k ohms with the number 011 on it

This link I found on the resistor mod which led me to figuring out what they origionally were. The were very close so don't think that's the issue

Next I'm looking into installing an adjustable bleed valve on the vacuum line leading to the electronic boost sensor and doing the resistor mod on the fuel pump

I know this was a lot but hope I can help someone

@GTSSportCoupe you're a legend for helping all of us 2LTE owners. If you have any recommendations for me I'm all ears

- Egr delete 3L / 2LTE Egr Block plate kit - https://www.northwesttoysllc.com/3L-2LTE-Egr-Block-plate-kit-p/580030.htm comes with gaskets. Pricey option but easy

IMG_2139.jpeg

IMG_2791.jpeg

IMG_2806.jpeg

IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_2127.jpeg

Oh yes, this blue Hilux has made an appearance in my content several times. It’s great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom