2L-T Starter on last leg (1989 LJ73) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So unfortunately my starter is going bad and I have to order a new one, probably the solenoid. Most days it will start fine, but on cold days when it takes that just little bit of an extra crank it will crank and then it sounds like the starter disengages from the flywheel and just spins freely. The truck push starts no problem.

I replaced the battery about 6 months ago, Glow plugs need replacing, and injectors need rebuilt. Other than that the truck runs great.

I'm about to pull the starter today after work, however was wondering if you guys knew a part number or other starters that would work? possibly one that i could get sent to my FPO address from the states? I can order it from Euro4x4, but it's almost 200 euro, haha.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Andrew

Don't replace the whole starter! Just replace the solenoid contacts. They are cheap and easy to replace! The contacts are a common wear item for starters and cause the symptoms you are having. It's like saying your tires are worn out so you need a new car.

Andrew, If you are in SoCal, there are probably several places within an hour from you that can rebuild the whole thing for a reasonable price or where you can purchase the contacts to do it yourself (if you feel comfortable doing it). If you need a steering box or pump rebuilt, I can highly endorse Meridian.

I can't say with certainty, but I would imagine Spain has quite a few "Talleres" to repair/rebuild starters as well.

I believe the Starter part number you are looking for is: 28100-54090
Maybe this Bosch may cross: 0986015331

Last edited:
Here's, the starter. Im going to try to find a rebuild kit, and rebuild it myself. At least replace the contacts myself.

IMG_20180131_182425.jpg

Andrew, If you are in SoCal, there are probably several places within an hour from you that can rebuild the whole thing for a reasonable price or where you can purchase the contacts to do it yourself (if you feel comfortable doing it). If you need a steering box or pump rebuilt, I can highly endorse Meridian.

I can't say with certainty, but I would imagine Spain has quite a few "Talleres" to repair/rebuild starters as well.

I believe the Starter part number you are looking for is: 28100-54090
Maybe this Bosch may cross: 0986015331

There are plenty of talleres here in spain, however I like to do a lot of the work myself. Finding parts in spain without going through a mechanic is another story. Luckily euro4x4 has a good selection, getting delivery is a different story, plus with IVA things come out to be more expensive.

- Andrew

Just ordered the plunger and contacts from Euro 4x4. I should receive it tomorrow or Tuesday. For now the truck is just sitting in my drive way... Has anyone replaced the plunger and the contacts before on one of these? if not i'm sure i'll be able to figure it out, I'm gonna start dismantling the starter on tuesday since i'm off work that day.

If no one else has done this i'll also take some pictures and post it here and on my instagram.

I did the plunger and contacts in my Hilux with the starter still installed. It's not hard at all. Make sure you clean up all the copper and torque the contact nuts down to correct torque. Should't take you more than half an hour.

I did the plunger and contacts in my Hilux with the starter still installed. It's not hard at all. Make sure you clean up all the copper and torque the contact nuts down to correct torque. Should't take you more than half an hour.

Whats the torque specs for the nuts?

The FSM has no specified torque but those contact fasteners are often able to slightly loosen with the diesel vibration. The 2LT shakes a lot. Just make sure they are on there pretty good. I like marking all of the critical fasteners on my rigs so you can see any movement at a glance. Those nuts and any of the fasteners for the grounds are always the first thing I look at when there is an electrical symptom.

The FSM has no specified torque but those contact fasteners are often able to slightly loosen with the diesel vibration. The 2LT shakes a lot. Just make sure they are on there pretty good. I like marking all of the critical fasteners on my rigs so you can see any movement at a glance. Those nuts and any of the fasteners for the grounds are always the first thing I look at when there is an electrical symptom.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I will do a write up when I get the parts on hand.
- Andrew

I replaced the contacts and the plunger, i will upload an album little later. There are some pictures on my Instagram if you wanna check them out. @mechanics_dram

When I get up tomorrow, I'll post what i did and a full album.

So i put the starter back in and it sounds exactly the same. maybe a relay?

Yep, bad connection somewhere or the solenoid is on it's way out/ actual winding inssue. When you had the starter out did you bench test the plunger/ bendix gear action? If it works on a bench it's low voltage or bad connections/ ground in the truck giving you issues. Bench test is safer than hotwiring the starter to diagnose further.

Yep, bad connection somewhere or the solenoid is on it's way out/ actual winding inssue. When you had the starter out did you bench test the plunger/ bendix gear action? If it works on a bench it's low voltage or bad connections/ ground in the truck giving you issues. Bench test is safer than hotwiring the starter to diagnose further.

I'm gonna pull it again on Sunday and see if i can find somewhere that can bench test it, after making sure all connections are tight and clean. I jumped it from the battery and the plunger worked from what I could see. If i can't find a place to bench test it i'll probably have to order the whole thing. I tested the Relay, it was good.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for everyone's help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom