2H stalling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2H/H55 in an American market 62.

About two months ago, I had to brake hard at a light and the engine stalled right as I came to a stop. The same day, as I came to my driveway (down a bit of a hill), I braked a little harder than normal and stalled again.

I didn't do anything about it.

Lately, in the last week or so, it stalls much more often. It seems to happen on hills, whether going up or down, and also when I have to brake hard. I'm thinking it's a fuel delivery problem that's made worse when the fuel level changes, as on a slope or when braking hard and the nose is diving down.

I don't know anything about diesel fuel delivery in general or how fuel gets from the tank to the engine on this motor.

What should I start looking at and what sorts of tests should I conduct to narrow down the issue?

Thanks,

Ara D.

I'd also consider the low oil pressure shutoff function of the EDIC (if the EDIC is still fitted). Oil level and pressure OK?

I don't know anything about diesel fuel delivery in general or how fuel gets from the tank to the engine on this motor.

Thats fairly simple, there is a feed pump attached to the side of the fuel injection pump. It brings up more than the engine needs and recycles the excess back to the fuel filter. Incorporated into the feed pump is hand pump for when you have air in the fuel system.

All I have read the past years about stalling is diesel line with tiny rust air inlet, seems to be very difficult to find.
If it stalls on low pressure then it should start and shutoff, especially when parked nose UP hill. EDIT: nose uphill parking is low oil pressure edic cut off (one time with 650 rpm) , sorry, so parking nose DOWN hill makes the edic not switch off for low oil pressure
SO I prefer parking nose downhill.

The oil pressure sensor could go bad (never read of that) but if it makes contact the engine switches of, easy to try and remove the cable and test.

Last edited:
If you don’t want to put an oil pressse gauge on to check it - disconnect the EDIC and drive around for a week to rule it out (have to lift the bonnet to shut it down).

@duncanrm It was the oil pressure cutoff.

I didn't realize it because my oil pressure gauge was only reading slightly low, but well within what I thought were tolerable margins.

As it turns out, it was 6 quarts (!!!!!) low.

No more stalling. But now I have to figure out how I lost that much oil in a couple of months.

@duncanrm It was the oil pressure cutoff.

I didn't realize it because my oil pressure gauge was only reading slightly low, but well within what I thought were tolerable margins.

As it turns out, it was 6 quarts (!!!!!) low.

No more stalling. But now I have to figure out how I lost that much oil in a couple of months.

Oh ! 6 qts on a total of 10.9qts (dry fill) ! It is a lot ! The Cruiser God may not be very happy ... ;)

Did the exhaust puff blue smoke ?

No blue smoke. I do get white smoke when I first start it.

Maybe I should look closer, though. One day a couple of months ago, someone beside me at a light tried to tell me something about the exhaust, but I blew him off, thinking he didn't realize I had a diesel engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom