2H / H55F transmission tapping sound help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay hopefully I can explain this. Recently I’ve been hearing/feeling a sound coming from I think to be my transmission. The problem started a little bit ago but I’ve finally gotten around to try fixing it.

So after right around 20min of driving I’ll start to hear a gentle tap noise seeming to come from the transmission about 4 inches towards the engine from the shifter boot. I can feel it on the trans tunnel, don’t feel it in the shifter. After about an hour it becomes a tap and a scratch sound.

The puzzling part is that it can happen in every gear, even neutral and reverse but more specifically it happens when I hit a bump/small crack or some sort of vibration happens to shake the car. I can hear the sound happen if I smack the shifter against the 1/2 gear wall and the 5/R gear wall. It almost feels strictly vibration based but after the car warms up for 20min???? It sounds like how a bad ball joint sounds when you hit bumps.

I took the shifter boot off and can’t see up in there. Tried investigating down below but can’t see as well. Really don’t want to have to tear this thing apart but looks like it might be leaning that way.

Attaching pictures of where the sound seems to be coming from.

Anyone had this issue before or have an idea of where to start?

1986 HJ60 2H/H55F

2F3D094C-996E-45DD-B727-E5A82DE17798.jpeg

FAD315B5-9CD5-4CB6-BF9B-DE2E28E41A8E.jpeg

FJ60 transmissions are excellent noise transmitters too. I know from first hand experience that what sounds like a transmission “problem” is not necessarily a transmission problem at all - just the transmission clattering a bit because the engine isn’t running smooth.
While that may not be the case in your instance- it’s certainly possible.
Your transmission is old with likely a ton of KMs/miles on it.
My take on these robust transmissions is that there’s a loooooong way to go before hearing some strange noises and total transmissions failure — like another 80K to go.
The conclusion I came to with these transmissions is to drive it until it seizes — then buy another one. Don’t waste your time and money trying to fix an old one. Everything inside it is worn out.

FJ60 transmissions are excellent noise transmitters too. I know from first hand experience that what sounds like a transmission “problem” is not necessarily a transmission problem at all - just the transmission clattering a bit because the engine isn’t running smooth.
While that may not be the case in your instance- it’s certainly possible.
Your transmission is old with likely a ton of KMs/miles on it.
My take on these robust transmissions is that there’s a loooooong way to go before hearing some strange noises and total transmissions failure — like another 80K to go.
The conclusion I came to with these transmissions is to drive it until it seizes — then buy another one. Don’t waste your time and money trying to fix an old one. Everything inside it is worn out.
Honestly good advice, I appreciate it. It just drives me up a wall hearing the tapping and scratching. Especially if I end up going out of town in it haha

I disagree with not rebuilding a H55f, it can be well worth the effort.
I had a intermittent noise at every revolution of the mainshaft middle bearing which had lost half the circumfence of the outer bearing race surface. Rebuild with new bearings and some other better to be replaced parts and it is just as expected since, sweet as since 50.000 km. On top of it it is also a good clean job and can be fun. There is also a satisfaction in repairing things rather then replacing them. For some. Of course I wouldn't mind a brand new out of the crate gearbox - but it is also not as easy available or affordable in most parts of this world. Just my two cents.
Those noises can drive someone crazy .....that tapping noise might come from somewhere outside the gearbox, by the way - have you checked all the bolts in the area and the oil level ? Does the noise alter when opening or just slightly touching the clutch or accelerator ? Is it really the same in every gear and neutral, load vs coasting vs engine braking -that would clearly indicate something outside of the gearbox. Try to "manage" the sound . Also consider the universal joints and transfer box, - hi vs low ... Maybe put the axles safely on stands and run it like this ... be very careful if you do that...
Good luck finding it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom