2H and 3B owners to pls reply (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Incorrect, both Cruiser have the H55f 5 speed. The bearings in my HJ were growling pretty good though when I owned it, so I'm sure that was slowing the truck down and reducing fuel mileage.

Wow, you aren't getting proper mileage then. I have a 2H/H55f that gets 650km per tank and 2 x 2H/A440 that get 525km per tank.

Just thinking about it, the two autos also have a/c. What about your trucks?

Never had a 2H but I love my 3B. You dont have to worry about getting speeding tickets and it gets great gas mileage. Very loud, but you get used to it after a short time. 4 Low, 1st gear is amazing. Sounds like you need to pick the best maintained truck to me.

my 2h/auto was getting 650+km per tank on 235's
i put 32's on a couple weeks ago now i get <550km a tank

I like my 3B with a turbo on it. Happily getting 30mpg on the highway pushing 33x12.50's... no problem cruising at 70mph thanks in part to the rubber overdrive - my tranny is an H41 so no 5th gear for me at the moment.

I've driven a 12HT and was really impressed with the smoothness and the power. That siad, I'd stick with the advice given earlier about picking the best truck overall. Each engine is going to have its pros and cons - it's just one point in the whole equation - get the most dependable rig overall that is in the best shape you can afford.

I have been getting 8km/L or 12.5 L/100KM generally with the 2H/H55f in a 60 series.

12.5ltr seems a bit much to me.
Although i've only owned my HJ60 for 6months now my old man bought it new back in 84 and it has always got around 11.0ltrs per 100km, so about 800km to a tank. I'm running standard size tyres and a five speed.

12.5ltr seems a bit much to me.
Although i've only owned my HJ60 for 6months now my old man bought it new back in 84 and it has always got around 11.0ltrs per 100km, so about 800km to a tank. I'm running standard size tyres and a five speed.

Well, I live in the mountains and, unfortunately, the bulk of my miles are commuting in 30km/h average flow for an hour every day.

I consider it pretty good mileage considering.

I got about 790km to a tank this summer on easy highway driving. 1.13 liters per euro mile, that's pretty good i think.
sloppy city driving gets me 1.3liters per mile.
Dont know how much this is in gallons per your mile.
( AT35's and 4speed, turbo IC 2H at 1,1psi max. at highway speed 70-90kph is around 0.4-6psi)

Wow, you aren't getting proper mileage then. I have a 2H/H55f that gets 650km per tank and 2 x 2H/A440 that get 525km per tank.

Just thinking about it, the two autos also have a/c. What about your trucks?

My dads BJ has a/c, my HJ didnt. My HJ ran rich as hell too, If i punched the throttle at about 2200rpm in 3rd, i could blow a cloud of black smoke the size of my truck. And when I left lights I was always blowing black smoke when on the throttle. It probably wasn't good, but I loved it.

I got about 790km to a tank this summer on easy highway driving. 1.13 liters per euro mile, that's pretty good i think.
sloppy city driving gets me 1.3liters per mile.
Dont know how much this is in gallons per your mile.
( AT35's and 4speed, turbo IC 2H at 1,1psi max. at highway speed 70-90kph is around 0.4-6psi)

:confused: Euro mile?
For the same type of use in a bj60 I'm getting similar fuel consumption figures as Kim (~12l/100km). Either slow going stop and go or due to an annoying driveline vibration highway cruising at min 105km/h, which doesn't help. I loaned the truck to my father for the summer and driving more conservatively he was getting a reliable 10l/100km. My fj40 has more power than the 60 but at the cost of double the fuel bill.

Pick the better condition truck out of the two and you should be equally happy. Though if the 2H is stock and the 3B is a conversion into the 89, then I'd probably chose the 2H.

I have been in Mel Lowe's turbo'd 3B and I drive a 2H...both installed in '88 FJ62 bodies. Mine has the 5-speed, Mel had the 4. I like mine better, and aside from overall cleanliness and pride of ownership, I think Mel probably wished he had the 2H too. He's now in a fully built truggy 60 with the 2F, which is stupid quiet in comparison, and he does not miss his BJ62t.

With the naturally aspirated diesel 60s, plan on being very patient, or turbo it. They're both dogs, but relatively efficient.

650kms on a tank? I only get 270kms on a tank HJ60 automatic.. There must be something wrong with my HJ...:( Any suggestions?
New fuel filter, air filter, new oil change.

650kms on a tank? I only get 270kms on a tank HJ60 automatic.. There must be something wrong with my HJ...:( Any suggestions?
New fuel filter, air filter, new oil change.

Is someone stealing your diesel at night? Are you running 44''s on stock gears?

But in all seriousness is your transmission shifting properly and in good condition?

Yeah, I average 677 kms on a tank and it's mainly (mileage wise) worst case scenario driving, steep mountain driving and city stop and go. That's about 18 US MPG. And its the average for the last 6 years so it should be pretty accurate. I've got the 5 speed which probably gets me 3 or 4 more MPG than the Auto.

270 km on a tank seems like leaking tank and dragging brakes mileage.

Is someone stealing your diesel at night? Are you running 44''s on stock gears?

But in all seriousness is your transmission shifting properly and in good condition?

Not really i think lol..
Transmission has a little flare on the third shift..

I have an 85 BJ60 an 87 HJ60 and an 89 HJ61
85 3B will consistently give 700 km to a tank with 31.5 tires and the 87 2H is not that far behind same tires .
Both of the 6's are way smoother and more quiet than the 3B with the 12ht being the best.
3b's and 2h's drive very similar to each other however the 2h does pull a little better on the hills.

All 3 are in front of H55's

Yeah, I average 677 kms on a tank and it's mainly (mileage wise) worst case scenario driving, steep mountain driving and city stop and go. That's about 18 US MPG. And its the average for the last 6 years so it should be pretty accurate. I've got the 5 speed which probably gets me 3 or 4 more MPG than the Auto.

270 km on a tank seems like leaking tank and dragging brakes mileage.

Let me double check the brakes doesn't "seem" like its dragging. I'll remove the tires & check the brakes might be seized or something.. As i remember if its seized it will drastically slow down a car or smell burning brakes/hot rims..
Truck has a/c but haven't used it since its too cold. Tires are just 27 x 15.. I'm just getting half the mileage you guys have... :bang::( Full tank up to the lowest first mark is around $50.00 Canadian dollars.

This is not good... I thought it just consumes a lot of diesel since its a 4 liter beast..

Last edited:
I've not had my HJ60 for very long, and just completed a 2500 mile round trip, from central France through Spain to Southern Portugal and back, towing a very large horse trailer.
Fuel consumption was fairly high as you'd expect towing 2.4 tonnes, I was averaging 185 miles per 3/4 of tank. never let it drop below a 1/4.
On the way back with an empty trailer, weighing in at 1.6 tonnes, the mileage went upto 200 miles per 3/4 of a tank.

Powerwise, plenty of power even towing 2.4 tonnes, however speed was down drastically on the long steep climbs along the route.
Average speed for the trip down was 25-30 mph up the hills.
On the way back with only 1.6 tonnes, speed was up to 45-50 mph up the hills.
The gradients were 5 - 7 % and went on for several miles.

On the way back I had a head wind, and that dropped mileage down to 70 miles on half a tank.
This was due to the trailer acting like a parachute.

But, the 6 cylinder engine was a smooth ride, shame it was not a turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom