2F with Affordable Fuel Injection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VSS works with the O2 sensor to control idle functions. My guess is you have a problem in this area?????

The Affordable product doesn't incorporate VSS. Runs w/o it. Checked timing SAT. Could be a tight exhaust valve or something wrong with the FI setup or?

Squidly, the VSS controls several functions, and everything that happens below 2 mph (all idle functions). You claimed you had idle problems, now you claim Affordable does not use a VSS, so my guess is that Affordable doesn't have it figured out?????????

Hello Jim. Affordable supplies the following sensors as part of their complete kit:
  • Coolant sensor
  • MAP sensor
  • Heated O2 sensor
Others here on this site have successfully used Affordable's system. I just haven't been able to find anything on the idle issue.

BTW how do you like the new Brea town council?

Squidly I installed the affordable kit on a friends cruiser. It was a nightmare because all the parts they sent were aftermarket junk. First off the o2 was biased full rich (Replaced o2 with bosch unit). Two of the adapter bolts that screw into the intake were too long so they bottomed out and didn't properly seal. I noticed this fairly early on and chopped a 1/4 off the bolts to remedy problem. Then their solder joints inside the distributor corroded and caused some crazy symptoms. Once I fixed that it had an intermittent miss which I chased down to a junky aftermarket distributor cap they supplied. Let's see what else, the fuel pump they supplied had a 1/2 inch barb to fit onto a 5/16 hose!? That was hell trying to find an adapter and after a bunch of phone calls to norm at afi I believe he had one made and sent it to us. Oh then it developed a horrible intermittent no start/ driveability issue which turned out to be a bad socket in the ecu for the prom. (Replaced ecu) after all that it's been running great!

Hi Roma, thanks for the reply. The adapter bolt issue was encountered during installation and was resolved the same way you did it. The distributor is a DUI model that was purchased separate but sent to AFI for their modification to work with their FI package so I'll check it for bad solder joints. The engine also has Man-A-Fre forged pistons and RV cam, and a header. It sounds like the O2 sensor could be the culprit or contributing cause as well. I haven't driven it enough to get an idea of the truck's fuel consumption as I just got it back from the shop and haven't gotten it tagged. It'll be tagged this morning though so I'll give it a lengthy run.

Squidly, I still believe you'll have drivability issues until you install a VSS, and in the mean time I hope you don't become one of those who bad mouth TBI because of your issues.

Jim haven't really had any drive ability issues since the install other than the initial ones in the beginning. So maybe it will be ok without the vss. the truck has been on several lengthy out of state trips including a cross country run to the San Juans which got up to 13 and 14k feet altitude. (Drove up to pikes peak)
Squidly I'd make certain that you have zero exhaust leaks with that aftermarket header
Leaks up stream of the o2 since will be read as a lean condition and the ecu will try to compensate by dumping additional fuel

Roma042987, your open road driving is not a serious issue with or without a VSS (especially without cruise control). Squidly's complaint involved idle functions, roughness with cold start, cold idle, and his problems would probably exist even with a warm engine. The entire temperament of the engine is controlled by the VSS/02 Sensor, and I don't know how AFI programmed for cold start, fuel enrichment on starting, automatic choke function, and throttle position switch not letting the engine die every time driver lets off the throttle/stopping at a red light. I'm quite sure AFI is a thousand times smarter than I am, so guess I just need to keep my big mouth shut?????

Walked in the house from the revenue office with the tag yesterday and got called into work. Will give it a run today.

Well I gave it about a 30 mile run yesterday. Popped and sputtered cold. Ran better warm but would still die when approaching stop signs unless I caught it by downshifting. Fuel gauge barely moved. Unfortunately it died on me at a stop sign near the house and would not restart. No click, no roll, no nothing. Got it back to the house right before dark. The leads on the multimeter aren't long enough to reach inside the cab for me to check the starter so my daughter is coming up to help me.

Well I gave it about a 30 mile run yesterday. Popped and sputtered cold. Ran better warm but would still die when approaching stop signs unless I caught it by downshifting. Fuel gauge barely moved. Unfortunately it died on me at a stop sign near the house and would not restart. No click, no roll, no nothing. Got it back to the house right before dark. The leads on the multimeter aren't long enough to reach inside the cab for me to check the starter so my daughter is coming up to help me.
I've already decided to keep my big mouth shut.

Did you check for any codes? When its cold on open loop you are pretty much solely relying on the prom programming and the ecu cant adjust. You said you checked the timing, but how did you do it? Did you jump the terminals before doing so? Also their is a wire to unplug at the coil if you have spark control for setting timing. Try backing off the timing like 10 degrees and see what it does. Also their is a procedure for initial tbi setup to initialize the iac correctly and one or 2 other items when you first do a conversion. I have that info at work and not at home but a search on google may find it. If you really want your cruiser to run well, put a vss on it and spark control(not the knock sensor controller), and then take it to a tuning shop that is familiar with tbi and has a dyno. It will be like 1000 buck to tune-but if they are fairly good you will have a really well running rig.

Hey Jim, what is your EBay store listed under or how do I find you on EBay?
Would like to check out what all stuff you offer.

Cheers, Allen

Hey Jim, what is your EBay store listed under or how do I find you on EBay?
Would like to check out what all stuff you offer.

Cheers, Allen
Either tojoproducts.com or thetojoman on ebay

I installed the AFI kit this summer as well. Took a lot of chasing down both install issues and replacing parts, but it's pretty good now. When I first installed it, it wouldn't run at all at idle using the dizzy timing, and that turned out to be a matter of reversing the leads on the ignition module. Andy at AFI helped me sort that one out, otherwise I might not have found it. After that, the air bypass valve was cracked and caused an intermittent vacuum leak, the o2 sensor crapped out, and the ignition module also died. All of those replaced, then a fuel pressure issue so Norm sent me a new injector pod with regulator which helped. It's my DD, so I've been figuring out things as I go, and now it seems quite drive-able. No issues at stop signs, no issues with idle, no cold start issues, a little rough for the first couple minutes when cold but nothing I can't deal with and not as bad as it was with a carb. Hot starts are way better than a carb, and altitude doesn't matter. Mileage so far is unchanged from my carb. Oh, and it doesn't like the 0 degree base timing, it likes 7 degrees advanced much better. I've tried every timing position from 0-15 advanced and 7 is the best. PM if you have specific questions on your system, as I think I've been through everything possible on it at least once if not more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom