2F with Affordable Fuel Injection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having trouble figuring out what to do about an air cleaner. Did a search but didn't find anything on how to remedy this situation. Probably missed it or used the wrong search terms as I'd bet its here somewhere. Any ideas?

Can you try explaining your problem better. What do you have and what do you need?

TBI Air Cleaner

Squidly, you might want to look at Ebay #251251808728 and #251232624765.

I never saw an AFI photo of the 2F TBI setup with an air cleaner and wondered this myself. It's a 'complete kit' - but no air cleaner is a pretty significant omission, I think. Does AFI suggest or recommend anything?

I never saw an AFI photo of the 2F TBI setup with an air cleaner and wondered this myself. It's a 'complete kit' - but no air cleaner is a pretty significant omission, I think. Does AFI suggest or recommend anything?
I just checked AFI's website, I didn't see VSS, Linkage, Air Cleaner, Distributor, Coil, Ignition Module, or Knock Sensor?????

Couldn't you use one of these TBI to 2F Air Cleaner Adapters as sold by Man-A-Fre, or make something similar?

tbiacadaptRW.jpg

It's part number 17705-TBI.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/4PlusTBIComponents.htm
tbiacadaptRW.jpg

Last edited:
edwjmcgrath and DAD2SIX you're right. I did a lousy job of identifying the problem. The issue is that my 2F is finishing up an overhaul and I went with AFI's FI kit. The original air cleaner will not fit the throttle body set up and I didn't think it through prior to purchase or I would have gotten Jim Downey's air cleaner (of which there are no more :frown:).

Now I need to sort out options and the Man-A-Fre adapter looks like it should do the trick but someone else may have taken another approach that was successful. Also entertaining an idea involving aluminum pizza pans :hmm:

Thanks for the replies!

we used the man a fre adapter pictured. Except that we ordered direct from the manufacturer...it is made by 4plus (lcwizard here on mud). using the stock air cleaner with adapter there is about a 1.5 to 2 inch gap between the adapter and the air cleaner..not sure what we will do here but it is lined up properly so maybe a donut gasket of some sort will be used

edwjmcgrath and DAD2SIX you're right. I did a lousy job of identifying the problem. The issue is that my 2F is finishing up an overhaul and I went with AFI's FI kit. The original air cleaner will not fit the throttle body set up and I didn't think it through prior to purchase or I would have gotten Jim Downey's air cleaner (of which there are no more :frown:).

Now I need to sort out options and the Man-A-Fre adapter looks like it should do the trick but someone else may have taken another approach that was successful. Also entertaining an idea involving aluminum pizza pans :hmm:

Thanks for the replies!
I'm going to make more adapters and air cleaners, they'll be in my ebay store when done.

we used the man a fre adapter pictured. Except that we ordered direct from the manufacturer...it is made by 4plus (lcwizard here on mud). using the stock air cleaner with adapter there is about a 1.5 to 2 inch gap between the adapter and the air cleaner..not sure what we will do here but it is lined up properly so maybe a donut gasket of some sort will be used

Afi used to carry Jim's adapter. Now they are sourcing the flatter one which doesn't allow you to use the man-a-fre adapter..

That being said if you use Jim's adapter it will work.

I'm going to make more adapters and air cleaners, they'll be in my ebay store when done.

That is great news. Your adapter and air cleaner are the best.

Breather.jpg

Took a while to get this posted. Here is the air cleaner. Truck back fires at idle cold and if it sits idling for a while. Any ideas?

Hi all,

Thanks for the tip Trollhole !

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also a 89-98 Cadillac Deville Seville or Eldorado 4.9liter air cleaner will work as well. I've seen a few people use those.
View attachment 842780

Hi all,

On the TBI conversion on the 2F in my FJ40 I am using a custom adapter between the throttle body and the stock 2F air filter housing. It is made of stainless steel. It started out in life as a sauce pan. :lol: Seriously! :hillbilly:

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom