2F Welch Plug (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

klinetime574

TLCA #27404
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys

I need some advice/ info on my welch plug.

I got the plug from Toyota. Part #90330-24013

The plug that was in there was pounded in too much so it was leaking. I removed it and tried my hand at inserting a new one. Used a wheel stud about 2/3 the diameter of the plug so that is where the marks on it came from. Ideally the plug would flatten out and I would be convinced it is good, but it is still ever so slightly domed.

Does anyone have experience installing these that could write about the process and give some feedback on my pictures?

Plug removed:

65e87404.jpg

Installed:

618f4759.jpg

Thanks guys! Hope you had a Merry Christmas :)

Can you replace this with a similar fix like the galley plug. Tap and use threaded plug.

You could, but wouldn't that negate the purpose of a freeze-plug?

No, it's a press-fit plug, like a freeze plug, but for the oil circuit. I had a new one installed when the motor was rebuilt, but the machinist did it when I wasn't around...

Was the old one flat?

Posted after Pighead -- Is that a freeze plug or oil plug? Isn't there an oil plug there, somewhere, behind the Bellhousing?

This is part of the oil circuit.

Isn't there an oil plug there, somewhere, behind the Bellhousing?

Yes that's what I am referring to. See the third photo in this post.

The welch plug is meant to expand in the hole. If it is hammered past flat its diameter is smaller than if the disk was flat. So You want this to expand as much as possible. I just don't know if mine is tight enough. And then it needs some sort of sealing border.

Here are some photos of the plug un-installed:

cd528889.jpg

e14fba91.jpg

Where it is on the back of the motor. Notice all the oil:

81b855fb.jpg

Last edited:
Is that in backwards?

Nope. You put the plug in with the domed side out and then hammer in the center to expand it in the hole.

The faint ring marks you see are from a socket. I was using a bunch of things to try and get it more flat. (most effective sealing)

Is there anything about it in the FSM ?

Last edited:
I didn't see anything about it. Or about freeze plugs for that matter.

No, it's a press-fit plug, like a freeze plug, but for the oil circuit. I had a new one installed when the motor was rebuilt, but the machinist did it when I wasn't around...

Was the old one flat?

Posted after Pighead -- Is that a freeze plug or oil plug? Isn't there an oil plug there, somewhere, behind the Bellhousing?

Looks like the Camshaft seal maybe?

Edit: Nevermind...that's up on top. hmm...

The question wasn't about what the plug is sealing. I know what it seals. Part of the oil circuit.

I just need to know how to properly seal this dumb plug. I need an old timer! Jim C? haha

This little detail is holding up my reassembly. :mad:

I wanna :steer: my 60 again

I put some Silicon Ultra Black on it. What I had at hand. Supposed to be the most oil resistant.

Do you guys know if it would be safe to run the motor without the flywheel and other parts? Basically like it sits in my photo of the back of the motor?

I would run it to check, but you need the bell housing and flywheel for the starter to work. You could run it and take it all apart again and check. Probably overkill.

John

Yeah. I don't know what I'll do haha. But it would be acceptable to run with no transmission?

If it were me doing this, I'd find a brass or other metal dowel that was just smaller that the hole and use a fresh plug with a dollop of good sealant and wale on it, till flat. That should do it. What else could you do but put the block in a 10-top press ?

Good point about the sealant on the plug first Spike.

I see no problem running with out the tranny. Make sure everything up at the front of the engine is safe and that the engine is not going to move up or down you don't want the fan to hit the radiator.

John

If it were me doing this, I'd find a brass or other metal dowel that was just smaller that the hole and use a fresh plug with a dollop of good sealant and wale on it, till flat. That should do it. What else could you do but put the block in a 10-top press ?

What sealant would you recommend? Would Black RTV be okay? Or is there something better?

I don't mind trying again. I have another plug, and I'd probably feel better about it the second go round.

Thanks for the advice Spike Strip. I'll try it after my trip. Leaving for California on a 6 a.m. flight tomorrow morning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom