28575r16"lt" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting ready to buy tire chains, looking at the RUD Grip 4x4 that everyone seems to love so much. GRIP 4x4 - 2532

My tires are Cooper Discoverer S/T 285/75R16

On the site I am buying the chains they say 285/75R16LT

I'm sure it is fine, but some of the tires listed on tirechaindealer say LT and some don't. I am guessing the LT just means "Light Truck" and does in fact refer to my tire size so the chains will fit right?

Last edited:
yeap no problems.
there is no standard from one manufacturer to the next on tire sizes. a 285 from this brand is not likely to be the same size as a 285 from the next. so something like chains will have enough adjustment to fit every tire in that size range as well to make up for tire wear....which can change by as much as two inches from when new.

Thanks!

Follow up question, according one one guy in this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/72815-tire-chains-mud-snow-storage.html

An OME 2.5" lift and tire chains are a bad idea and it will rip up the flares on the body. In looking at my rig, I don't see how. There is lots of room around the tire, I mean people stuff 35" tires on that lift and get away with it. Am I missing something and it will be a problem, or is the guy's statement incorrect?

My rig is deflared.

All I want them for is icy roads and if I get into the situation I was in today elk hunting in my buddy's and we had to chain up to get out.

NVM: according to this thread they do it without a problem: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/120970-tire-chains-285-75r16s.html

Last edited:
I just had to use chains on my FJ80 with OME medium lift and 285's. I had no problems. Never even came close to the body flares. I had no problems what so ever with them.

Any time you first install a set of chains on a certain vehicle/tire combo, you should always check for proper clearance and operation.

That said, I doubt the chain problem stated, too. Maybe if the chains weren't properly snubbed up, yeah, but that's operator stupidity, not a mechanical issue.

Of course, most chain use is on-road. However, if you're wheeling where the suspension is gonna flex, then pay attention if that creates interference issues that didn't show in the on-road clearance testing. And remember that cruff along the trail can snag at chains and their tighteners, causing them to loosen and flail at your wheelwells, too.

I have not read through all of the linked threads, but were they running them on the front and not the back? BTW, I have the same sized Coopers on our 80 and will be fitting my chains on to that truck before we see too much snow here and was wondering if we could run them on the front or just the back. My 100 can only take them on the rear due to interferences with the suspension, but that is IFS and not the solid axle like the 80.

Yep, obviously I need to test things once I get the chains in hand! It was just strange to me that it was stated as an absolute not going to work given all the room around the tires.

I PM'd the guy who said it and further detail is the rig in question had light springs and he thought it sat low to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom