Cooper Discoverer AT3: 4S or LT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy- As the title implies, I’m looking for new tires for my 97 80 series. I haven’t decided between 265/75r16 or 285/75r16, but I’m leaning toward the 265. My anticipated use will be mostly pavement and gravel roads, plus some rocky trails, but no real rock crawling. I’m looking for durability, toughness, and good off-road capability, with low road noise. And, they may occasionally see snow and ice. I’m trying to decide between the 4S model and the LT model, so any experience, thoughts, feedback, etc. would be welcome. If I do go with the LT, I’d likely go with the E rated version, but I’d love to hear if that’s a good or bad idea and why. Thanks in advance! Don

For your use, the LT is much better. If anything, I'd go XLT over the 4S.

If you had something like a Highlander or rav4 that stayed on pavement - for example - the 4S would be a good choice there.

Last edited:
I have been running the Cooper Discovery AT3 "C" rated 265/75R16 on my 2007 Tacoma TRD for almost seven years (bought new in June 2016). Tires have traveled both on and off road in Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Utah, and Washington State - tires have ~53,000 miles on them and wearing very well! Overall have been satisfied with the performance both on and off-road.

Obviously on a heavier vehicle like a 80 Series how well these tires will wear will likely be different. For a LC wagon like a 80 or 100 the "E" rated version of the tire would be a better choice.

I have been running the Cooper Discovery AT3 "C" rated 265/75R16 on my 2007 Tacoma TRD for almost seven years (bought new in June 2016).
Cooper Discoverer (not Discovery) AT3s were released in 2018 homey.

I'd take a good look at the AT3 XLTs. They're light like the ubiquitous KO2s, quiet that is the modern AT tire and competitively priced. Gl!

Last edited:
I got the LT’s for my truck. They are small and skinny load range E but have been absolutely great!

IMG_1954.jpeg

I’m getting the impression that the 4S is not up to the job…

It looks like the XLT isn’t available in 265/75r16, so I think I’m down to the AT3 LT in 265/75r16, or the AT3 XLT in 285/75r16..

285s fit on stock suspension, but size is up to you of course. I'm sure the LT will be fine.

The XLT was one of the two other tires I was considering at the time I bought my Toyo AT3, seems like a good one

My current tires are Cooper Discoverer S/Ts in the 285 size. They fit fine, but they are old and very noisy.

AT3 XLT’s for me in 315’s, dead quiet, round, good wet traction and pretty good off-road. I’ll buy another set when these give up.

IMG_1151.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom