285/60 R18 on LC100 '03 with No Modification? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey LC fans! I joined the LC club last year with a high mileage '03 salvage. Despite nearly 250k mi and having a salvage title (minimal damage and no frame damage), it runs like a dream, better than anything I've ever owned...and better than most new vehicles out there. This forum was a huge help in finding the right one - THANK YOU ALL for your contributions and building this awesome community!

I've gone through several threads trying to understand tire fitment. My LC came with a set of new Ling Long tires (275/60/R18). They are surprisingly good on dry roads, but I have no real confidence in them and want to get a set of AT's. Problem is, there is nothing good in the OEM size 275/60/R18! For what I do, I don't need any real additional height - I just need tires I can depend on for rocky terrain (off-roading around Vegas area), and that are still good/reasonable on the road.

I've been eyeing BFG KO2 285/60/R18 - Everywhere I've looked, people are saying these can go on without spacers or lift but I'm not entirely confident about that. Looking behind my current tire, the inside sidewall is only about 0.2" - 0.25" from the suspension - I'm not sure how adding a 0.5" wider tire can happen without potentially rubbing parts of the suspension.

Hoping you can share your experience with this! Also, have you ever been able to "test" fitment at a tire shop?

I have more confidence that a slightly taller tire would work like 275/65/R18s, but I really don't need the height, and they only come E rated from BFG (not a huge detractor - maybe slightly stiffer ride).

285/60 will fit without issue. It’s only 31” tall. You can run bigger than that without any modifications.

There is 1 good option OEM, but it's not an A/T - Michelin Defenders. There are only about 4 or 5 tires in 275/60/r18 :confused:. If all else fails, Michelin Defender is hands-down a fantastic tire.

JunkCrzer89 - wouldn't the width be an issue? Maybe I'm reading this wrong...tread width would increase by 0.4" but the sidewall width only by 0.2". The inner sidewall would then be 1/10" from the suspension?

Size 1 = OEM and current tire
Size 2 = 285/60 R18

1632509525384.png

JunkCrzer89 - wouldn't the width be an issue? Maybe I'm reading this wrong...tread width would increase by 0.4" but the sidewall width only by 0.2". The inner sidewall would then be 1/10" from the suspension?
No. 11.2” wide tire does not rub with factory wheels.

Got it. Tons of good tires in the 16" Land Cruiser wheel variety so not sure why the 18" wheel has such a poor selection when looking at the OEM size.

What about 265/70r18 or 285/65r18? Both measure about 32.6" and will fit with no issues on the stock suspension. The general rule of thumb is that a tire 33" tall and 285 or narrower with fit a stock 100 without modifications. Long as you stay within those parameters you'll be good to go.

Don't be afraid to stray a size up if necessary to find a tire to suit your needs. It will have minimal effect on drivability.

I am running 285/70/18 but they are mounted on Icon Rebound wheels. No lift, zero issues scrubbing. Nothing else done.
I am literally getting ready to do this same thing to my wife's 470. I assume your Rebounds are 25mm offset? That was the only thing I was worried about opposed to stock. And I'm doing the 17inch. Thanks!

hey LC fans! I joined the LC club last year with a high mileage '03 salvage. Despite nearly 250k mi and having a salvage title (minimal damage and no frame damage), it runs like a dream, better than anything I've ever owned...and better than most new vehicles out there. This forum was a huge help in finding the right one - THANK YOU ALL for your contributions and building this awesome community!

I've gone through several threads trying to understand tire fitment. My LC came with a set of new Ling Long tires (275/60/R18). They are surprisingly good on dry roads, but I have no real confidence in them and want to get a set of AT's. Problem is, there is nothing good in the OEM size 275/60/R18! For what I do, I don't need any real additional height - I just need tires I can depend on for rocky terrain (off-roading around Vegas area), and that are still good/reasonable on the road.

I've been eyeing BFG KO2 285/60/R18 - Everywhere I've looked, people are saying these can go on without spacers or lift but I'm not entirely confident about that. Looking behind my current tire, the inside sidewall is only about 0.2" - 0.25" from the suspension - I'm not sure how adding a 0.5" wider tire can happen without potentially rubbing parts of the suspension.

Hoping you can share your experience with this! Also, have you ever been able to "test" fitment at a tire shop?

I have more confidence that a slightly taller tire would work like 275/65/R18s, but I really don't need the height, and they only come E rated from BFG (not a huge detractor - maybe slightly stiffer ride).

I just put a set of coopers at3 xlt on my 05 in 275/70/18 and really like them.. They feel out the wheelwell perfect and look better than stock imho

guys, need your opinion. Original Tire Size: 275/60R18 been discontinued by all brands, so I am trying to see what would work on stock suspension, stock 18 inches wheels

Tire Size: 285/60R18

Tire Size: 275/65R18

Tire Size: 275/70R18

Thanks

275/65's is what Toyota should have put on these from the start. They are a very common size with lots of choices and better pricing than the stock tires. If you plan on doing some off roading go with the 275/70's.

guys, need your opinion. Original Tire Size: 275/60R18 been discontinued by all brands, so I am trying to see what would work on stock suspension, stock 18 inches wheels

Tire Size: 285/60R18

Tire Size: 275/65R18

Tire Size: 275/70R18

Thanks
This was exactly my situation. I just replaced OEM 275/60R18 with BFG KO2 285/60R18. They are fantastic! No scrubbing and I could have actually gone larger. There was an earlier reply - with stock suspension, tire needs to be 285 or less, and no larger diameter than 33".

You will need to upsize - 275/60/r18 is a very rare size - Michelin is now discontinuing this size they made in their defender series. AT options are very limited. Personally I didn't want to add too much height. My dogs already struggle getting in my truck and making it taller won't help. In the case of the BFG KO2 this size is D rated - it's not as heavy as E and may ride a little better.

20220323_164825.jpg

Very rare tire size for sure, I went to local Costco tires center, and they couldn't believe that I have that size. Looks like BJ's running promo on your tires, I will order them this weekend. 285/60R18 it is, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom