255/85/R16 tires? Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please forgive me if there is a magical definitive thread somewhere with photos, I couldn't seem to locate it. So, I need new tires and am considering either 285/75R16's or 255/85R16's. I almost want to go with the 255's but want to hear some real world input from you who have them (either) and have some Goods and Bads of both. I am not going to crawl or extreme Rubicon type offroad, more of an backcountry overlanding application with 4wd but nothing super extreme.

I appreciate your input, thank you in advance. Please show photos of your trucks with either option, lifted or not. ;)

I have a 1999 and the 16 inch rims were nice; however, I located some 18 inch rims from a 2008 Land Cruiser for a good deal. I ended up with five 255/70/18 and the rims for close to what I would have paid for the 16 inch tires alone. I am also running 285/75/16 on my 80 series and when the time comes I am going with tall and skinny instead of the fatty I got now. It really boils down to how you are going to use the truck. I thought I would be an off road God when I first started outfitting my Land Cruiser years ago, now not so much.

IMG_8466.JPG

IMG_8470 (1).JPG

IMG_8468 (1).JPG

IMG_8472.JPG

On road with max tire pressure it handles well. Offroad I have zero complaints. It handled the easy and medium trails at Uwharrie in Troy, NC very well. I thought I would not like the skinny at first but now I am a convert.

On my "street set" of wheels I have 265/75/16. I understand you're not inquiring about this particular size, but I'll tell you don't be afraid to go to a more narrow tire for fear that it will not handle well, or be unsafe. If I have any feedback about the narrower tires, it's all positive feedback. Probably better MPG, should technically accelerate faster, less rolling resistance, better ride quality, etc. Absolutely zero complaints. I'm sure a 255 tire will be just fine.

BTW, I never took the vehicle offroad with these tires so no comment on that.

Not 255s, but perhaps relevant if you're looking for feedback on skinny tires vice fat ones--I run 235/85R16s (Cooper Discoverer AT3LT) on 16x6 rims. Handles incredibly well on the highway--I feel like it's even better than with the 275/60R18s it had on it. And these are great off road so far, aired down to 18 psi. I think 255s on the 16x8 rims would work great. Might be a little crowded in the wheel wells if you don't have any lift at all, though. Mine's stock height, and I think it'd look pretty weird with another 1.5" in tire diameter. . .

I love narrow tire. I have 255 on my 60’and I’m in the market to tire for my newly acquired 100.

I still did not know if I go 255 or 285. I may just go with 285 because it may look better on a 100...

I get a very good mpg with my 60 (21 mpg - diesel 12HT) and I do not think 285 on the 100 (1HD-tfe) will by much thirsty than 255 ...

Still have couple of week in front on me ...

I'm leaning towards skinny myself. But a bit worried about sand, though, admittedly. Although feedback I got was positive about that too. Just having a hard time wrapping my head around that one, I guess.

I love my 255/85R16's (Toyo M-55) that I have on one of my 100's. They have been the best tires I have ever purchased. LONG lasting and wear really well. Great traction in rain and snow. I think the size is the best size for most surfaces you would run into (excluding mud and rock crawling). They have a great contact patch when aired down. Like mentioned above, it really boils down to what you use your rig for.

You can search either of those tire sizes in the search bar, advanced, titles only, 100 section only. Dozens of threads on each.

Don't worry ... I already spend whole evenings reading and re-reading most threads about it. ;)

It is dull the bolts pattern of 60 VS 100 are not identical. It would be so simple for me to swap my 255 on my 100 for a test ...

285/75/R16s on original powder coated flat back rims. No lift. No rub and love the ride. Some minor off roading done, nothing crazy, and performed fine.

7A2941F1-03A5-48CF-868C-9FE92B510366.jpeg

I went from 285/75/16 to 255/85/16. I haven’t noticed any downfalls with the skinnier tire. If anything the steering feels a little lighter.

do think about availability of spares in your area, though. I recall reading here that some skinnier tires are hard to come by in a pinch in some places. YMMV

I like the 255/85r16. The size works well on the 100 with stock wheels and no spacers. Switched to the 255's from 265's and only noticed a small drop in mpgs; expected a bigger drop due to the taller profile. I have not noticed the poor handling some claim to have experienced with narrower tires. Fits in the stock spare location and tucks up even further than a stock tire with the spare tire lift. The best part is the tire stays tucked in the fender well. The side of your rig doesn't get blasted with road debris or mud like a wide tire does.

So it appears that you guys are running Cooper ST Maxx, is that correct? What is the road noise like? Are they loud? I know that comparing the Michelins which are silent to anything is not fair but I don't want a loud tire if I can help it. Is the Cooper a softer compound tire? Compared to a slightly worn Wrangler Dura Trac how are they sound-wise on road?

Thank you for all of the input and the photos, the 255/85's look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom