23 mpg over 600 miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My bad it's 1.053 if we upgraded from stock 275/70 to 285/75. It will vary slightly for actual outside diameter depending on each tire manufacturer.

...via IH8MUD app

How much do you attribute the 23 mpg running in 2WD vs. 4WD? My stock '03 got 18mpg on a recent 90% highway tank w cruise set to 60mph. But only 13mpg when all city even when easy on the gas. Running 36psi on Michelin MS2's.

My stats are showing 12.23 mpg as an average. Ouch.
That's including towing the Kimberly Kamper, off roading, city etc.

I am pretty consistent in the 12-12.5 range in a mix of driving.

I must say it is somewhat surreal to read about hypermiling a 5700 pound land whale, but I doubt not the veracity of the achievement. I would think there would have to have been some dicey moments with trucks. Especially with other vehicles merging.

I also am not surprised to read that 2WD was part of the calculus. I believe there are kits in Australia (and no doubt elsewhere) that provide the option of retrofitting selectable 2WD/4WD in place of full time.

That said, most of me feels like getting too caught up with efficiency with a vehicle like this is an exercise in futility. However, I do often think about the fact that these beasts offer similar mileage to a supercar or heavy duty truck whilst neither offering much power or towing ability...

I just wish Toyota had kept pace with the domestic manufacturers when it comes to fuel efficiency in large trucks/SUVs. Toyota could do it...but they don't. I can only afford Land Cruisers that are 10 years old. With that in mind, in 2024 I still won't have a Land cruiser that gets decent gas mileage.

I just wish Toyota had kept pace with the domestic manufacturers when it comes to fuel efficiency in large trucks/SUVs. Toyota could do it...but they don't. I can only afford Land Cruisers that are 10 years old. With that in mind, in 2024 I still won't have a Land cruiser that gets decent gas mileage.
Just remember - Total Cost of Ownership. It only takes one injector issue or other major diesel repair on a domestic to negate several years of fuel savings... :meh:

I also am not surprised to read that 2WD was part of the calculus. I believe there are kits in Australia (and no doubt elsewhere) that provide the option of retrofitting selectable 2WD/4WD in place of full time.

I'd love to retrofit selectable 2wd. Would probably require traction control defeat?

Marks4wd and Lokka both offer part-time 4wd kits. Most that have made the conversion have reported little to no fuel economy gain though.

How much do you attribute the 23 mpg running in 2WD vs. 4WD? My stock '03 got 18mpg on a recent 90% highway tank w cruise set to 60mph. But only 13mpg when all city even when easy on the gas. Running 36psi on Michelin MS2's.

Honestly, not much. I do attribute careful driving and over 50 psi in the tires and the removed roof rack to the mileage. Also, I have emphasized this before but I fueled up, literally got on the on-ramp, and then drove 100% hwy until my exit at which point I exited, and dove 1000 feet to the nearest gas station. Any city action with stop lights or idling would have negated the MPG numbers.

When I had my Surf, I changed the front to free wheeling hubs. That made a difference in fuel economy. But that wasn't a permanent 4WD like the LX/LC.

yup
drive 10 miles on your ODO with a GPS
you'll see 10.7 miles
you guys with 33s are getting 7% ish mpg better than you think
so complain less ; - )

Did you draft behind trucks at all.....not encouraging it, but it bet on a long highway drive, if you stayed on the bumper of a semi for the whole thing you'd get an extra 7-10mpg. It honestly works really well.

Not at all safe and not saying to do it, but it makes a huge difference when your not pushing any air..

So you drove slower than the speed limit and typed that first post on your iPhone? Typical Midwesterner with no where to go......

I doubt that. Even driving very conservatively I can only do 18-19mpg at best on the freeway with a well-tuned '03 100 cruising over a reasonably long distance. I really don't think it is possible to get significantly better than that in the OEM configuration, both from that first hand experience as well as from the vast majority of what I have read on MUD, cow magnets and hydrogen generators notwithstanding.

87 octane 2005 LX470 no 3rd row seats and no extra stuff, 33" Michelins with 32psi, tuned and maintained. Get 15mpg around town, 19mpg highway mileage adjusted for larger then stock tires. Drive very conservative.

I drove from Denver, CO to the mountains for about a couple of hours without a single stop and I got to around 22 MPG (total miles were 117.8 miles). I don't know how many other people trust the fuel consumption gauge but for me, its been accurate most of times. I have Continental Tires 285/75 and a Cold Air Intake and use Octane 85, otherwise this darling is completely stock.

IMG_3585.JPG

my check of the trip computer was also correct
I was surprised

I did it again last week. Drove from somewhere in Montana to somewhere in Wyoming. Most of the drive was through extensive prairie and very sparse in terms of gas stations, so I didn't push it to 600 miles on the clock before getting fuel. I might have stranded my self next to some buffalo had I done that. But I can assure you I would have clicked past 600 miles on this one tank:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405972721.575692.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405972732.569339.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405972746.030789.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405972755.586895.jpg

Btw, I don't draft. It's a good way to eat the back of a semi trailer. Tires are set to 57 psi cold.

57? :eek: but 55 mph is the bomb for great mpg's...

I get about 326 mi on a 20 gal fill. But I do 65-70 when driving. Might try the 55mph for a couple of fills to see what it will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom