22RE Warm Engine problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 92 pickup with the 22RE and had the valves supposedly readjusted, new exhaust manifold gasket, and New AC comp. I drove it home, on a warm day, and noticed A little bit of power loss so I turned the AC off but it failed to make a difference. Today, I changed the plugs and wires with no avail. After the truck warms up a few, it seems to idle down and the motor seems to jump a bit. I am what you call a cosmetic me mechanic so bare with me....any thoughts?

These trucks do have a high idle when cold or shut off for a while. After thatbthey do idle down

I can actually read the writing in the belts when it idles down....is that normal. Didn't know if I need to readjust my valves and/or check the timing.

Are you saying idle is low when you crank it after it is warm. Say 15min or so...

If so like mentioned above it happens. There was a service bulletin to address it but most say it still does it afterwards. Bulletin called for a different temp sensor that mounts to the upper coolant mounted to the thermostat cover. Have seen post of guy the ran it the wire to the sensor through a switch to ground to stop it. Leave switch on a few minutes then off. If you look at wiring diagram that sensor go through same controller (don't know if that is best description) as AC idle up.

Yes, after it runs for about 15 mins, the idle drops and it's starts running a little rough. When I am driving it when this happens, it seems to have a decrease in power. I will def check the service bulletin out, thanks

Check your TPS adjustment. Sounds like it might be right on the "edge."

So you're starting it cold then after 15min of running idle drops?? That's a bit different.

Have you checked codes??

No, the check engine light comes on but the cat is gone and the exhaust is straight piped to a new muffler

Doesn't means its the o2 sensor. If its before were the cat was and you o my have one then you have codes. Do you k ow how to check for codes on these trucks? Just asking don't take offense

No offense taken....I don't have a code reader....usually just take it to the parts store and let them check it, lol

If you pop the hood next to the due box you'll see a plug spot with a great cover. Take a paper clip and put it in t1 and E1 then turn the truck to ig n and the engine light will blink the codes.

Ok will do, thanks...how do I go about adjusting the TPS....sorry I'm new at this

While I have someone who knows what there're talking about....do you know why my speedo goes straight to 90MPH when I crank my truck. It stays there no matter what speed I am traveling.

I wish I could but my only thoughts are try a speedo that is good and if so then do some reading on of hours is cable or no and go from there.

You're codes will be different than mine but down load a copy of the FSM. It's the best reference for troubleshooting your rig. If you need I link you'll have to wait till I get on a PC. This could be a couple things so the trick is a methodical approach.

Ok, I checked the codes and I'm getting a 21 because it doesn't have a Cat, and I'm getting a 41, 43, and a 52....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom