22re temp sensor and more (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thread pitch/size help!

Pappy, or whoever might be able help. I have and 85 4runner, with the same extra port that Pappy moved his factory water temp sensor to. I removed the plug, but cannot for the life of me figure out what the tread is on the sensor. I combed the forums, and there was a lot of speculation that it was a 3/8 BSPT, so I went through the trouble of getting a 3/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT (the size of my aftermarket sensor) from 42draftdesign.com (the only place I could find one) only it does not fit. Pappy mentions a "metric conversion" but which one?? I cannot find this anywhere. Did you have to tap the upper port? and if so, what size did you tap it to?

Thanks much

Best picture I can get of my current situation...

ForumRunner_20130703_201320.jpg

As you saw, I was going through this last year. What I ended up doing was finding an '85 lower intake on eBay, seller sent my some good photos so I could verify it had the magic "special second plug". I cleaned it up, then started working with it. Like pappy, I ended up moving the stock gauge sender down to the other threaded hole (blue connector). I am installing an AutoMeter #3333 mechanical water temp gauge, and it comes with a fitting that is 5/8-18 thread, which is not the size/pitch of the manifold. However, I found that Autometer sells an adapter to go up to M16x1.5 thread (#2275), so I ordered that to give it a try. It was very close on the fit (this is the adapter that Autometer told me I would need), but the problem was the threads weren't cut deep enough in the intake to allow it to turn in more that about 1 turn.

The problem is the hole in the intake is not straight through, it has a bottom sealing face that the stock sender "seats" on, so what I needed was a "bottoming tap" of that size to make the threads deeper and all the way down. I found a tap that size on-line, but I think it was about $50-60, and I had already spent too much on this gauge by now, I needed a cheaper solution.

So, I drove up to the next city to a machine shop that a guy runs out of his house. He's an old timer, just going in there is stepping back in time. I walked in with the intake and explained what I needed, hoped he had a tap that would do the job. He went out back, came back with an old beat up ammo box full of various taps, told me to see if it was in there while he waited on other customers and answered the phone. I pawed through them all, and darned if I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. He handed me a wrench, and standing there at his counter I tapped the hole deeper in about a minute. I handed him back his tap, asked him how much for the "service", he said "why? you did all the work! have a nice day". Went home, installed the adapter, fits perfect now. I don't have the sender installed yet, what you see there is just a temporary brass plug until I get the engine installed. The intake and VC has since been powdercoated "go fast" red.

Cliff notes: thread pitch you need is M16x1.5, but you need a bottoming tap.

ForumRunner_20130703_201320.jpg

Last edited:
It is a metric fitting. I bought a bag of assorted fitting from Pepboys. One of them worked.

Mystery solved. Thank you very much! Now, you mention a "bottoming" tap. Is that any different than an ordinary 16 x 1.5 tap?

Yes, a bottoming tap has full depth cutting threads all the way to the tip, instead or a starter threads at the tip that taper. They are made for tapping all the way to the bottom of a blind hole.

TypesofTaps.jpg

Thanks again for the informative reply. How did you seal the threads? Teflon tape, pipe thread compound? Was seating the adapter enough?

Also, if you don't tap the hole, are there enough threads to bite the 16mm x 1.5 adapter and create a seal? Pappy, did you tap yours? If I ever had to remove the sensor, it would be nice to put the original 8mm hex plug back in place, but it needs the "seat" at the bottom of the hole, since these are straight threads and not tapered threads as I had originally thought.

I was able to find an Autometer 1/8 NPT to 16mm x 1.5 adapter (Autometer #2268) for those of you wanting to use an electronic gauge with a 1/8 NPT sensor, rather than a mechanical one (which traditionally uses a 5/8 in.-18 UNF sensor).

Thx

I did not tap, didn't need to. Just used tube teflon.

I have an 85 22re with the electronic automatic trans it has those two temp sensors one pointing up and one to the side. The one on the side isn't hooked up to anything. I was wondering if anyone knew if that was for the auto transmission. I have been trying to figure this out for months with no success. I would be in debt to anyone with info on this. No one seems to like or have any info on the auto trans trucks.

I know it was found in 1985. I'm not sure which, of any, other years it was used. I've been planning on walking the boneyard and looking at all the 22re's I can find. I just haven't had a free weekend.

I'm 14-years late to the party, but I have '85, '87, and '88 22REs - I'm compelled to check them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom