22re temp sensor and more (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am new to toyota. my 22re 1994 is in need of having a new aftermarket water temp gauge installed, but i cant find where to install sending unit, because there are two sending units. I believe that one is for the efi and the other is warer temp. i have a strange build and a one of a kind build. thank you out of focus

Dude, you need manual.

There are THREE temperature related sensors/senders. Two are "sensors" (one is actually a temperature switch) at the front of the engine near the thermostat housing, one green, one brown, that are for the EFI. There is a third temperature sender for the gauge. It's located on the intake manifold between cylinders #2 and #3. If you are installing an aftermarket gauge you can abandon this sender, install a metric adapter, and use the 1/8" sender that will come with the gauge.

Now, if you had an older 22RE, the sender is where I said, but there is a second plug where you could install an aftermarket sender.

Looking for my picture.

Found it.

The sender pointing to the left with the blue connector is the factory sender. The sender point up with the nut and ring terminal is my aftermarket sender.

The senders are reversed from factory. Normally the port where my factory sender is would be plugged with an allen head plug.

The gizmo out for focus in the upper left is my cold start injector for reference.

attachment.php

Yep, my 85 has it. The 1994 I have doesn't. Thinking about trying to drill and tap it and see what happens.

i thought about drilling one of the spares to see how it would work, do you have spares, if not i can drill one of mine first so if by some chance it is thin you will not ruin yours.

Ya, when I did my late model plenum swap I ended up with the late model lower too. I've been thinking about it for probably 10 years. Guess I might poop or get off the pot this weekend. I'm feeling motivated.

I am installing a mechanical AutoMeter gauge on mine, and the sender is much different. It requires a 3/8" NPT threaded hole. My plan is to drill and tap a new hole in the lower intake at the front, right behind the factory EFI sensors. I have all the tools sitting on my bench right now, I'll be working on this over the weekend, I'll take a bunch of pictures.

i wish that is what it was with me pappy, but the honey do list is why i get very little done on my rig.

KLF i would like to see these pics, as i want to swap out my electric auto meter for a mechanical, i do have one question, is that area before or after the T stat?

never mind took me about a minute to realize that was a stupid question.

Well, I looked at the manifold. I'm not sure there is enough meat to drill and tap. It's pretty thin in that spot below the factory sender.

is there some advantage to the late model lower intake portion? if not why don't you put the 85 lower back on? you would have to remove it to drill and tap anyway.

I really can't see any significant difference between the 2 bottom halves.

There are THREE temperature related sensors/senders. Two are "sensors" (one is actually a temperature switch) at the front of the engine near the thermostat housing, one green, one brown, that are for the EFI. There is a third temperature sender for the gauge. It's located on the intake manifold between cylinders #2 and #3. If you are installing an aftermarket gauge you can abandon this sender, install a metric adapter, and use the 1/8" sender that will come with the gauge.

Actually...

On my '87, there are FOUR sensors. Besides the 3 you mention, there is another one on the neck that connects the upper radiator hose to the intake, it bolts above the t-stat. My EFI manual calls it a "FPU Tep Switch (for fuel pressure up system)".

The later '89 intake that I also have doesn't have this sensor, so I guess they abandoned this at some point?

I'm familiar with that one. I thought it was a temperature switch for the AC and not EFI related.

LOL... we have too many threads on this topic.

Normally the port where my factory sender is would be plugged with an allen head plug.

attachment.php

Pappy:

I'm intrigued by this statement and photo. Neither of my lower intakes has any plug where you now have your factory sender. I wonder if this is an anomaly of an '85 intake?

I took a close look at the spot where I had planned to drill & tap for my mechanical gauge, and it's just too thin there, I'm afraid it will just be a chronic leak or may strip out. So I may have to try to use the block drain spot. Not what I was hoping. I could also pull my factory sender and get an adapter to put my sender there, but this will leave my factory gauge dead, not what I wanted.

I know it was found in 1985. I'm not sure which, of any, other years it was used. I've been planning on walking the boneyard and looking at all the 22re's I can find. I just haven't had a free weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom