22Re no compression on #2 cylinder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck is a 1990 with 22RE. Hard starting lately so I did some investigating. Has pretty new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, starter rebuilt. Did compression test today and got zero on the number 2 cylinder.
Test results: Cyl 1 = 120, Cyl 2 = 0, Cyl 3 = 140, Cyl 4 = 135. Still starts and runs. Engine was rebuilt about 80,000 ks ago, and now sits at about 480,000 ks. Numbers tell me it is time to pull this old engine, but any advice is welcome. I have a new short block but I'm still missing some bits like the head. Last time I did major engine work I got parts from enginebuilder but he has retired. LCE looks good, but let me know other vendors to investigate.

I second 22RE Performance.
I have bought misc engine parts from him and been happy.
Also talked to a 22RE s mechanic and he speaks very highly of them as well. He gets cams from him for his rebuilds

80,000km should still have spec range numbers for compression.... 160ish. That is if it was rebuilt properly I suppose.

Do the valves have lash? #2 valves could possibly have pounded in and are being held open... then they end up burnt. 0 compression would be like there is no valve seating at all. Id imagine the piston should still make enough suck and blow to get some kind of compression if the valves are even half way seated. Unless there is a speed hole in the piston.

Zero compression is odd like mentioned. Seems like there should have been some bad noises heard. Check for metal in the pan or on the drain plug. Check valve lash.

I miss engnbldr too. I haven't rebuilt a 22RE since so I have nothing to offer there. Good luck with your truck.

I will take a look at the valves. I did the valve adjustment in the spring, so maybe they went out. Have heard no bad noises. Yes, zero was a weird and alarming reading. I have never had that before. I checked it twice to make sure. Short block was bored with new rings and low end redone by Alec's Automotive a few years ago. Toyotaboy80 might know them. I have been hauling a loaded trailer back and forth up one of our biggest mountain passes all spring and summer, so I am not surprised to overwork the 22re. I will have some time to dig into it as I usually don't drive or insure it in the winter. Looks like it will take some time as 22re performance is out of stock and I will need to look at budget for LCE. Seems to make sense to put time and money into a new head and cam to match the new short block. Anybody on here ordered from LCE recently and can confirm their posted lead times?

Anybody on here ordered from LCE recently and can confirm their posted lead times?
Not recently. When I ordered my LCE head a few years ago the lead time was weeks. I seem to recall lots of them.

If interested and engine is still in truck, a leakdown test will tell you which way compression is going, next step in diagnostic path. Tool makes it handy and controlled but a an old spark plug with an air fitting welded to it works also. A valve on your air source can provide control if going el cheapo,

Principle in this circumstance is to move cyl in question to top on compression stroke, valve cover off lets you verify both valves are indeed closed and lash is present, apply compressed air to cyl through plug hole and listen/feel for it escaping either through intake exhaust or crankcase. Should be readily apparent with a 0 compression number.

I am 750ks away from the truck during the week, so I have not done anything beyond the compression test. I have leakage tester which I needed for a dying Subaru. I'm hoping to do some more diagnostics this weekend, if there is no snow. @pappy I might have some further questions if I decide to go the LCE route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom