22-RE in an FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This may sound ridiculous, but has anyone ever heard of or considered putting Toyota's 22RE into an FJ-60 or FJ-40?? The 22-RE only puts out about 17 less horsepower and foot pounds of torque than the 2F...I owned an 85' 4Runner and with the added accessories, it weighed as much or more than my current FJ60. I used to get aound 20mpg with the 4runner on the highway. With a few minor mods, the 22RE can put out more torque and hp than a 2F. Anyway, I was just wondering if it has ever been done and or how difficult the swap would be? I get about 11/14 mpg with my FJ60 and the improved gas mileage would be welcome.

Red

85' FJ-60 (Stock)

I havent seen it done but i have considered it myself. With ease of modification, and parts access, I think it is a great idea. Would you adapt the 22re to the 4 speed 60 tranny and transfer or would you put the 22re 5 speed and transfercase in the 60?

This is a joke, right?

Can't decide whether to laugh or cry. ;)

Mark...

CRY-for the love of Toyota and the desire to go that direction
Laugh-if you've had a 22re and an FJ60 separately

Dude don't do it if you ever plan on this thing moving anywhere, the 22re wasnt that happy about pushing those pickups/4runners/carollas etc. up any hill. Good torquey motor for a 4 banger, but definitely not designed for an FJ60, unless you are gonna run dual cases, 529's, lockers f/r, fuel injection, and never ever drive the thing above 30 miles an hour, and that might be downhill if you're lucky. FJ60s are just too heavy. There is a reason so many people go towards small block chevy motors and not 4 poppers. Not being rude, but wow, what a question.

Most of the mileage problem with a 60 has to do with frontal area. Both it & a 4Rnr have the aerodynamics of a brick.

No, you won't get 20 mpg with a 60, even with a Briggs & Stratton.

Most of the mileage problem with a 60 has to do with frontal area. Both it & a 4Rnr have the aerodynamics of a brick.

No, you won't get 20 mpg with a 60, even with a Briggs & Stratton.

Maybe with a 4BT...

12H-T is a very economical engine... just perfect for the 60 series. The 22R was not built for a "heavy duty" application like the Land Cruiser wagons. They were found in the light duty Land cruiser chassis', however...

Can't decide whether to laugh or cry. ;)

Mark...

How about you start to laugh so hard you cry. Then you can get them both out of the way at the same time.

Realistically though, the 22re doesnt have mych less power than a 3b right (10 lf/ft)? The 3b's seem to do just fine in a 60.

Since it revs considerably higher you could get away with much lower gears to make up for the diesels low rpm torque advantage.

I think you would limit your towing/loading capabilities, but if its just a trail rig for local wheeling it doesnt matter-

Do it and let us know the outcome.

This may sound ridiculous, but has anyone ever heard of or considered putting Toyota's 22RE into an FJ-60 or FJ-40?? The 22-RE only puts out about 17 less horsepower and foot pounds of torque than the 2F...I owned an 85' 4Runner and with the added accessories, it weighed as much or more than my current FJ60. I used to get aound 20mpg with the 4runner on the highway. With a few minor mods, the 22RE can put out more torque and hp than a 2F. Anyway, I was just wondering if it has ever been done and or how difficult the swap would be? I get about 11/14 mpg with my FJ60 and the improved gas mileage would be welcome.

Red

85' FJ-60 (Stock)

Im still mulling over putting in the 2UZ-FE in my 60 some day.

But thats the V8 out of the Tundra.

I asked this same question about the tacoma or 4 Runner v6 and pretty much got the same response.

The GVW of a 1985 is 5360, the GVW of a 1990 4 runner is 5350. If the Land Cruiser had 4.10 or lower gears it would be about the same. The 90's 4 runners did come with 22RE's in the and they did pretty good not to under powered. I think they came with 4.30, 4.56, and 4.88 gears though.

do it;)its clear you have done some math once its all layed out in front of you its not a big difference.i say go against the norm.and show the results.but do it in a 40

The 2f is more suitable for a heavy chassis because all of its torque is produced around 1,500rpm, the 22re suffers because to get the power you need to rev considerably higher.

This initial torque helps alot when you are moving such a heavy vehicle

There is no reason it would not work. You just have to be resigned to the fact it will need high gears and gets its power screaming at higher rpms. So think 456 or higher and just run the highway at 4k plus rpm.

I personnally hate screaming engines. But the 22re is a screamer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom