2023 Toyota Sequoia - 3rd Generation REVEALED (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe rephrase that, bring down prices.
This has been discussed many times over in the 200 series forum, but maybe the prices will get better. I think a good amount of 200 series buyers in the last 2 years have been new to the cruiser world. They watched a few youtube videos with click baity titles, and along with a mid-life identity crisis and being stuck at home decided to buy the next “trendy” thing. They’ll figure out that 80% percent of car enthusiasts still know nothing about land cruiser or frankly and rightfully don’t find them exciting. So these new owners will get bored and move on to their raptor/bronco/trx/jeep/mustang, or 2023 sequoia.

Ineos Grenadier might fill the void if people are willing to hop off the toyota wagon. Solid axles, triple locked, full time 4wd, utilitarian, no drive modes and BS. Pretty interesting. Even if we could get the GR-S here, we're still talking well over 100k, and things like crawl control, terrain modes, decent controls, etc all kinds of stuff most of us weren't asking for in an overlanding rig.

Sequoia = new “Land Cruiser” for US market…. Toyota let this cat out of the hat over 2 years ago when they discontinued the LC.

They can create the LC in “form” in the US now because of the shared architecture: everything is modular now.

That said, it’s going to be IRS. And that is a deal killer.
Turns out the new Sequoia is not IRS, it's solid axle.

It makes sense that Toyota stopped the LC in the States, with the new Sequoia being much more capable off road (the TRD Pro is finally, actually worthy of being called that with the new 2023 version), and the 4Runner. If you want a capable Toyota SUV, you now have both the 4Runner and Sequoia to choose from. How could they continue to market the LC here in the States now? I don't see the LC coming back, which is a shame.

I'm excited to go test drive the new Sequoia, though I am disappointed that KDSS is not available. I test drove 2 4Runners back to back last year, specifically to feel the difference between the KDSS and non-KDSS versions. I drove them hard and took some corners pretty fast. The KDSS was very impressive and I came away feeling that I would not buy a 4R without it. Its absence from the Sequoia is a disappointment, as I expect KDSS makes even a bigger difference in a laden vehicle. And I was driving those 4R's totally empty off the dealer lot, with just me inside. (I also drove the heck out of a white Heritage Edition LC 200, even taking it into some mud up by the railroad tracks and playing around with MTS and CC. I hot lapped that thing and it smelled hot when I brought it back to the lot. So, sorry if you bought a white HE from Ventura Toyota. I can attest that miles 3-15 on the odometer were tough miles. Haha.)

Last edited:
I am really surprised that the new Sequoia has a solid rear axle. I know that’s viewed as a huge positive here on MUD but with the buying public for a family hauler, it will not compare favorably against Expedition or Tahoe or Wagoneer, in terms of interior room and third row function.

I’m guessing that going back to solid rear axle has to be due to sharing frame structure with Tundra and LC300? I can’t think of any other reason. Virtually no one goes off-road in a Tahoe or Expedition.

I am really surprised that the new Sequoia has a solid rear axle. I know that’s viewed as a huge positive here on MUD but with the buying public for a family hauler, it will not compare favorably against Expedition or Tahoe or Wagoneer, in terms of interior room and third row function.

I’m guessing that going back to solid rear axle has to be due to sharing frame structure with Tundra and LC300? I can’t think of any other reason. Virtually no one goes off-road in a Tahoe or Expedition.

Maybe, but I know plenty of people who drive Tahoes and Suburbans who rarely ever - and some of them never - use the 3rd row. I think a lot of people want a full size truck-y SUV regardless. I bet with this new Sequoia, Toyota is going to retain a lot more 4Runner owners who are moving on to a larger vehicle. My guess is that Toyota wants to go hard after this market.

If I was in the off-road/overland outfitting/fabrication business, I would start gearing up big time. A new platform with no support just arrived.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur and stuck in my old ways, but I'll take my 2nd gen over this any day.
Same here. I really wanted to like it, and am OK with looks, but that third row that does not fold flat I do not get. Hopefully there is a 3rd row delete option. Otherwise it really has no cargo room. I will keep my 21Sequoia.

They offer a minivan. Putting minivan features in a truck does not make it better, it makes it more minivan. Committees should not be involved in car feature design.

Hybrid batteries are under the third row I believe. So no flat floor.

Hybrid batteries are under the third row I believe. So no flat floor.

He said the 3rd row is higher due to the solid axle, but that has nothing to do with why it cannot fold flat. It appears it cannot fold flat due to the slide forward/backward design.

So are ALL 2023 Sequoias Hybrid or did he mispeak?

He said the 3rd row is higher due to the solid axle, but that has nothing to do with why it cannot fold flat. It appears it cannot fold flat due to the slide forward/backward design.

So are ALL 2023 Sequoias Hybrid or did he mispeak?
Yes all are hybrid. Which is why hp and torque are higher than 300 Land Cruiser and Tundra.

Roll down cargo window was the goat. RIP

I stopped here.
What are you basing this statement on?
Think he's saying the new sequoia is much more capable than the old sequoia. Not more capable than the LC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom