2022 Tundra compared to 300 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone whose crawled under a Tundra can see right away that that truck ain’t no land cruiser. Yeah it’s big and has big axles and engine, but there’s nothing “land cruiser” about it when viewing it from underneath.
I was pretty much not impressed with what I saw from an off-road perspective
Now they say that the new 2022 Tundra will borrow a lot from the 300 land cruiser- but that means it will need a COMPLETE redesigned chassis compared to what’s currently available. Maybe that’s the case and maybe not, but when I peered around under a current Tundra, I wasn’t impressed at all (from an off-road perspective).

Anyone whose crawled under a Tundra can see right away that that truck ain’t no land cruiser. Yeah it’s big and has big axles and engine, but there’s nothing “land cruiser” about it when viewing it from underneath.
Now they say that the new 2022 Tundra will borrow a lot from the 300 land cruiser- but that means it will need a COMPLETE redesigned chassis compared to what’s currently available. Maybe that’s the case and maybe not, but when I peered around under a current Tundra, I wasn’t impressed at all (from an off-road perspective).
Last generation the front end suspension was nearly identical sans length and shock size. Agree that the C channel frame beyond the front body mount was not impressive.

The new Tundra has a “laser welded” fully boxed frame a la 300. Should have more details on it soon but I would not be surprised if they’re more similar than different underneath.

The Tundra is not the new LC for the US market, no matter what Scott Brady says.

That said: does it share component and chassis architecture with the LC300? Yes, absolutely.

That’s the whole point of the modular TGNA platforms: rationalization of both manufacturing as well as development. The end “product” is irrelevant. Toyota could put a Camry body on the TNGA-F platform and it would work because of the planning logic built into the platform itself.

All of this marketing is Toyota long-term planning people making sure the journalists/brand marketers get things “right.”

Everything is now marketing; all tech information that is leaked is marketing; all spy shots are marketing; it’s all planned.

Everything.

Every last bit of information before a product is released is planned…. Leaks, spy shots, renders, etc. all of this is planned from the manufacturer.

There is a reason they have a $500 million dollar per year marketing budget. Every aspect of a new product release is planned years in advance. **years in advance**

I am not exactly what Toyota was after with the last two generations of Tundra, but they were really there own thing that didn't really excel at off road or traditional truck stuff. They were reliable but were pretty much in this weird light truck world.

Fast forward to the current generation, All full size stuff are now TNGA global platform vehicles and there is only really only soo much Toyota can do to differentiate between models just like with GM and their full size line up. They are all pretty much the same thing with a different sheetmetal/dash board package. this may be a good or bad thing determined on which side of the fence you come down on. Moving forward, there is not going to be a significant difference between the Tundra,LX,LC, and Sequoia, its all the same s*** now.

Is the Tundra/sequoia a North American LC, I would say maybe. Over the past 20 years, the Tundra/Sequioa has gone from sharing no parts, to sharing a drive train, to share chassis and drive train and suspension and a bunch of other stuff. There is so much shared DNA at this point that one could argue their postion either way. For the purist, if it does not have a LC badge, its not a LC. For others, having 95 percent parts commonality are enough that badges dont really matter, it is what it is.

IMO, a Tundra is just a $60K TNGA truck, the LC is a $60k TNGA SUV.

And now the efficiency thing, with the Sienna hybrid. Hard to beat unless you're towing something heavy on the regular.

I have always been a big v8 fan, but I will probably give the new hybrid a try, over 600lb of tq seem interesting, especially if reliable.

I am not exactly what Toyota was after with the last two generations of Tundra, but they were really there own thing that didn't really excel at off road or traditional truck stuff. They were reliable but were pretty much in this weird light truck world.

Fast forward to the current generation, All full size stuff are now TNGA global platform vehicles and there is only really only soo much Toyota can do to differentiate between models just like with GM and their full size line up. They are all pretty much the same thing with a different sheetmetal/dash board package. this may be a good or bad thing determined on which side of the fence you come down on. Moving forward, there is not going to be a significant difference between the Tundra,LX,LC, and Sequoia, its all the same s*** now.

Is the Tundra/sequoia a North American LC, I would say maybe. Over the past 20 years, the Tundra/Sequioa has gone from sharing no parts, to sharing a drive train, to share chassis and drive train and suspension and a bunch of other stuff. There is so much shared DNA at this point that one could argue their postion either way. For the purist, if it does not have a LC badge, its not a LC. For others, having 95 percent parts commonality are enough that badges dont really matter, it is what it is.

IMO, a Tundra is just a $60K TNGA truck, the LC is a $60k TNGA SUV.
I really think the new Tundra and Sequoia will be great vehicles, and much more similar to the Land Cruiser than ever before. The old Tundra frame was a weak point. You now have the frame, suspension, engine, transmission, and most of the 4wd goodies from the 300LC going into the Tundra and Sequoia. It should result in great vehicles.

Of course the true off road LC users will still be faced with the shortcomings: long wheelbase, overhangs, IRS on the Sequoia, and a lack of on road full time 4WD. The latter is a big disappointment if it is the case for the new Sequoia as it is for the Tundra…the current Sequoia has a choice of 2WD, on road 4WD, or locking center diff and 4lo. I assume a 2WD option allows slightly better economy versus the full time 4WD of our cruisers, while still allowing on road 4hi if you want to engage it. Hopefully they don’t take away the on road 4wd on the new Sequoia.

Last edited:
If the new sequoia is on the TNGA-F platform, as the new Tundra and LC300 is, would they actually put IRS on it or keep the same 5 link live axel as the tundra and LC300. I’ve not had an in person look at the TNGA chassis, but in my experience with various axle and suspension setups, the mounting and strengthening requirements for a 5 link live axle and an IRS would require essentially a different rear chassis.

If the new sequoia is on the TNGA-F platform, as the new Tundra and LC300 is, would they actually put IRS on it or keep the same 5 link live axel as the tundra and LC300. I’ve not had an in person look at the TNGA chassis, but in my experience with various axle and suspension setups, the mounting and strengthening requirements for a 5 link live axle and an IRS would require essentially a different rear chassis.
I can’t imagine the Sequoia won’t be IRS. The current model is IRS and it allows so much more interior room. The Sequoia and it’s competitors are family haulers with off road capabilities as an afterthought. GMC and Ford have gone to IRS, I’m sure the Sequoia will stay that way.

The new Cayenne turbo GT is a demon twin turbo charged V8.

If Porsche can make a turbo V8, why can’t Toyota?

The new Cayenne turbo GT is a demon twin turbo charged V8.

If Porsche can make a turbo V8, why can’t Toyota?

The Cayenne Turbo GT and a Land Cruiser have slightly different price points and customers.

While no one can say for certain, Toyota is locked into the TNGA for large SUV/Trucks now, and considering the sales numbers of the sequioa and where is sits in the large SUV sales, I not seeing a viable reason to engineer a new rear end/suspension. The sequoia will most likely be a aggressively reskinned LC without KDSS.

The thing that I am curious about is that I like the TRD pro suspension but will it accommodate 34 or 35 inch tires?

While no one can say for certain, Toyota is locked into the TNGA for large SUV/Trucks now, and considering the sales numbers of the sequioa and where is sits in the large SUV sales, I not seeing a viable reason to engineer a new rear end/suspension. The sequoia will most likely be a aggressively reskinned LC without KDSS.

The thing that I am curious about is that I like the TRD pro suspension but will it accommodate 34 or 35 inch tires?
There is no way a Sequoia goes BACK to a live rear axle.

I’m not saying it is, just that with using the TNGA platform essentially means a that what separates one model from another on the same chassis is not the chassis or drivetrain, but the body itself. Given all the work that goes into producing and engineering a chassis to be a platform for multiple vehicles, I could see how the sequoia could go live axle in the rear if it indeed uses the same TNGA chassis as the tundra and LC300. Otherwise, I don’t see how it can be the same TNGA chassis if the rear end is for a completely different suspension. It would be akin to using the same chassis for a RAV 4 and also the myriad of variations of the Hilux/Tacoma/4Runner/Fortuner, etc.

I’d love to know if the sequoia will indeed use the same chassis as the Tundra and LC300.

True if we are talking about leaf sprung live axle but what about coils? You saying "no way" to that also?

The Tundra will be a great improvement over previous and true competition for the domestic half ton trucks. The new Sequoia will be a nearly identical vehicle in many ways to the Tundra but with smoother suspension tuning and rear design to please that target, a true competitor to Yukon, Tahoe etc.

Both will be a great pair of vehicles for Toyota and with enough quality and durability to satisfy 99% of our use, just not a Land Cruiser but great in their own way.

We can agree the 300 was not designed for the US market (really the 200 wasn't either, we just got lucky for 14 years) there is too much investment in areas most of us will never utilize. The very large majority of 200 series owners, including me, never push their 200 anywhere near their limits and history has proven very few people were willing to buy one new unless they just really like Land Cruisers.

The majority of 2020/2021 200 series owners are new to Land Cruiser ownership because the press started longingly chirping about how cool they are as they were heading out of the US and didn't want to miss out on an opportunity to own the most talked and written about vehicle of the past year......they will own them and either figure out how great they are in their own way or something else will become more popular and discussed and they will move to the next "cool" thing.

True if we are talking about leaf sprung live axle but what about coils? You saying "no way" to that also?

To be competitive to the new Tahoe/Yukon it should be adopting IRS, it makes much more room for third row seating and cargo and Toyota is the vehicle selling business and this is a huge segment of the market they have missed for years.

Yes. They will not compromise interior 3rd row seat room or trunk room. Especially since the big 3 have all done away with it which is the sequoias target market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom