2022 Hatch Chile Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

awesome trip stemurr !! i ony have one problem with it, that grass roofed store you remember so fondly is in McScary not Pinetop :grinpimp:

awesome trip stemurr !! i ony have one problem with it, that grass roofed store you remember so fondly is in McScary not Pinetop :grinpimp:
Yes, you are correct!

When I lived in Springerville everyone considered McNary, Pinetop-Lakeside as the same place - McNary was the poor section.

The McNary Wiki page has another shot of the store with snow instead of grass

1662689497393.png

last year, as the local Albertson's in Baton Rouge had a Hatch chili roaster outside the store, Michael bought an entire 20 pound box of roasted Hatch chilis :eek: - it was one of these "it-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time" kinda moves :lol:

most of it he froze down, some he also set up for fermenting, according to a chili sauce recipe we found on the interwebs

we have used some of the frozen chili in cream sauce over pasta (home-made, by Michael), a combination we got introduced to in the first year of the pandemic, when we overnighted in Marathon, TX, during our drive from AZ to Louisiana

we still have portions of sauce and chilis in the freezer . . .

Last edited:
Best smell in the world, chilis over fire.

I've been eating Hatch chile for 57 years ever since my parents move to New Mexico in 1965. It was only after I got out of the Navy and moved to Arizona that I started annual trips to Hatch. It is definitely the highest cost way of getting your chile supply in, so I usually make it part of some other trip. I tried many different stores in Hatch with various levels of success, and after I hit the Chile Fanatic store I've bought there ever since.

In Tucson there are dozens of places you can buy fresh or roasted Hatch chile, and Mammoth & Hayden always have someone selling fresh every year. No doubt there are places in Phoenix roasting Hatch chile as well.

When my parents were alive and living in Albuquerque, I'd grab three or four sacks on the way to visit them to get their supply in and then grab three or four sacks on the way back home for us and my wife's sisters. Peeling three sacks of chile takes all night, and if I made it back home by three in the afternoon, I'd be finished around six the next morning.

Maybe should organize a club 🌶️ run to Hatch one of these years. I camped in the desert one night and the forest for seven nights, so there are definitely enough nice camping spots along the way there.
We are trying to plan a similar trip in the next week or two. However, we will have to do it in one day. Ugggghhh.

In Tucson there are dozens of places you can buy fresh or roasted Hatch chile, and Mammoth & Hayden always have someone selling fresh every year. No doubt there are places in Phoenix roasting Hatch chile as well.
This doesn't seem to be the case this year, maybe it's the fuel prices. My freezer stock needs to be replaced.
I have always admired those roasters and think I should build one someday and have Brown ship me a sac, or time permitting, go and fetch one.:hmm:

Sounds like the club needs to build or buy a 🌶️🌶️🌶️ roaster :bounce: and schedule an annual chile run or send one person with a uhaul and have a roasting in the pines camp out.

Uhhh,.. aren't you the designated driver, because the rest of us were off camping and doing the Casner Run in 2 parsecs?

Sounds like the club needs to build or buy a 🌶️🌶️🌶️ roaster :bounce: and schedule an annual chile run or send one person with a uhaul and have a roasting in the pines camp out.
:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom