2022 Hatch Chile Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stepmurr

Lookin' fer the end of that old white line
SILVER Star
Threads
Time for my annual Hatch Chile run. I took an entire week off this year so I could take a slow ride to Hatch with lotz of detours.

First detour was to Phoenix where I replaced my daughter's headlights on her 2013 Subaru Forester. I have tried almost every brand of polishing tool & majik compound on several vehicles and have determined that the only fix to sun damaged headlights is new headlights. Every time I have polished up a set of headlights they started to look glazed over within months - even using 3M;s majik UV covering. I bought new headlights for the Taco last year and couldn't be happier. I did the same for my daughter and they look great on her Subi!

7D_43660-Small.jpg

Next stop was just east of Payson in a blinding rainstorm.
7D_43664-Small.jpg

Frisky horses the next morning
7D_43666-Small.jpg

I could tell that my new cat box was trapping a lot of heat and so I drilled nine vent holes in it while parked along side the highway.
7D_43671-Small.jpg
7D_43674-Small.jpg
7D_43675-Small.jpg

I lived in Springerville in the early 80's and remember going into this store in Pinetop McNary. I don't remember it having grass growing out of its awning 40 years ago.
7D_43694-Small.jpg
7D_43695-Small.jpg

Next camp was near Antelope Peak by Springerille.
7D_43697-Small.jpg
7D_43702-Small.jpg

Last edited:
Pine tree outside Springerville growing new pine cones.
7D_43708-Small.jpg
7D_43710-Small.jpg

Night time fun photos
7D_43714-Small.jpg
7D_43715-Small.jpg
7D_43716-Small.jpg

Luna Lake outside Alpine Arizona - not too big but rite purty!
7D_43725-Small.jpg

Forest just East of Alpine
7D_43728-Small.jpg

This is the crick that drains Luna Lake
7D_43739-Small.jpg
7D_43741-Small.jpg

I think I see fishies
7D_43747-Small.jpg

piks

I have no idea what kind of flower this is, but it looks interesting.
7D_43748-Small.jpg

Camped at the BLM campground at Aguirre Spring. I hate camping in developed campgrounds but I was really tired from driving and this was convenient (purty too!) $7.00 per night so kinda a bargain.
7D_43774-Small.jpg

Alamogordo, New Mexico at night
7D_43814-Small.jpg

Looking back over the Organ Mountains at the sky reflection of Las Cruces, New Mexico.
7D_43816-Small.jpg
7D_43817-Small.jpg

Back to Alamogordo, White Sands Missile Range, & Holloman Air Force Base.
7D_43822-Small.jpg

Organ Mountains looking towards Las Cruces in the morning.
7D_43824-Small.jpg

Devil plant?
7D_43837-Small.jpg

Sunrise over Alamogordo, White Sands Missile Range, & Holloman Air Force Base.
7D_43853-Small.jpg

Organ Mountains in the morning light.
7D_43858-Small.jpg

Pics

Sun finally popped over the cloud bank.
7D_43859-Small.jpg
7D_43861-Small.jpg

Fun stop at White Sands National Monument.
7D_43876-Small.jpg

Selfie
7D_43882-Small.jpg
7D_43894-Small.jpg
7D_43896-Small.jpg

I wonder how long this little guy has been out here on the dunes?
7D_43903-Small.jpg
7D_43915-Small.jpg
7D_43926-Small.jpg

Bare toes make quite an "impression" in the loose sand.
7D_43927-Small.jpg

Pics

Go Army!
7D_43951-Small.jpg

Forest???
7D_43962-Small.jpg

Looking westward from Cloudcroft, New Mexico over the White Sands towards the mountains.
7D_43969-Small.jpg

Old railroad trestle heading up towards Cloudcroft.
7D_43970-Small.jpg

Camped outside of Cloudcroft.
7D_44001-Small.jpg

Wonderful trip and pics. Thanks for sharing.

How many cats fit in the catbox? Great pictures, safe travel,

very cool trip Steve!

When do we get our chilis?
Loved all the photos.

There were an incredible number of stumps near my Thursday's campsite outside of Cloudcroft. Most of them were from fallen trees - I think because the ground is so rocky the roots didn't penetrate very deep and a mighty wind blew a lot of them down.

7D_44003-Small.jpg
7D_44004-Small.jpg
7D_44005-Small.jpg
7D_44008-Small.jpg
7D_44009-Small.jpg
7D_44010-Small.jpg
7D_44012-Small.jpg
7D_44013-Small.jpg
7D_44017-Small.jpg
7D_44018-Small.jpg

Few mo stumpies
7D_44019-Small.jpg
7D_44020-Small.jpg

View down over White Sands
7D_44026-Small.jpg
7D_44029-Small.jpg

Friday's campsite
7D_44031-Small.jpg

Heading down off the mountain Saturday morning
7D_44032-Small.jpg

Hatch, New Mexico
7D_44033-Small.jpg

Got to Hatch in time to see the parade for the annual Chile Festival
7D_44034-Small.jpg
7D_44034-Small2.jpg

The destination - I have been coming to the "Chile Fanatic" store for over a quarter century
7D_44035-Small.jpg

Chile Fanatic

7D_44036-Small.jpg
7D_44037-Small.jpg
7D_44037-Small2.jpg
7D_44037-Small3.jpg

The roasted chile is put into a large plastic bag. I keep the chile sealed hot in the large bag and drive to a few miles before Deming and then break it down into smaller bags. This completes the roasting process and I buy ice in Deming for the ride home. If I don't ice the chile down it will continue roasting until it turns to mush. If I ice it down too soon it makes it harder to peel. Drive Hatch to Deming is just the right amount of after-roasting time - I guess that's why they put Deming where they did. ;)

Looks like a bunch of green & red trout in a fish hatchery.
7D_44041-Small.jpg

One 35 pound sack of chiles winds up in 9 half-gallon ziplocks. I also save all the chile juice and freeze it to use in soups & beans throughout the year.
7D_44042-Small.jpg

Eight nights camping and almost 1300 miles this year's Chile Run!
7D_44043-Small.jpg

We peel the chile and toss as many of the seeds out as we can, and then place them in ice cube trays for the initial freeze.
7D_44044-Small.jpg

35 pounds of chile -> 9 half-gallon bags -> 18 ice cube trays -> 12 quart size seal-a-meal bags along with 3 1/2 trays of chile juice.
7D_44047-Small.jpg

We leave the trays to freeze up over night and then put the cubes into seal-a-meal bags for the deep freezer. The cubes are usually one complete chile, and sometimes two of the smaller ones. The cubes make it really easy to handle the chile and I break out one of the seal-a-meal bags into smaller bags as we eat the chile throughout the next year.
7D_44048-Small.jpg

Wait this isn't a thread to take orders?! 😅

Great idea! We always froze 5 or 6 chilis in a bag. I like your's better.

Great idea! We always froze 5 or 6 chilis in a bag. I like your's better.
What I used to do was fill a quart bag with chile, freeze it, and then later defrost it just enough to cut the quart sized lump into smaller cubes and then refreeze them.

One year I thought about using ice cube trays instead. It is a lot faster and the end result is a whole chile instead of chopped chile when I use defrost and use them.

Last edited:
I would like to place my order for next year please.
By your calculations, I would like 8 pounds of chilis. Should fit into 2 half-gallon bags.
Please tell me where to send my money.
If you offer processing and deliver final, frozen product, I will gladly pay Muchow extra!!
I love the fact you have been doing this for over 25 years.

I would like to place my order for next year please.
By your calculations, I would like 8 pounds of chilis. Should fit into 2 half-gallon bags.
Please tell me where to send my money.
If you offer processing and deliver final, frozen product, I will gladly pay Muchow extra!!
I love the fact you have been doing this for over 25 years.
I've been eating Hatch chile for 57 years ever since my parents move to New Mexico in 1965. It was only after I got out of the Navy and moved to Arizona that I started annual trips to Hatch. It is definitely the highest cost way of getting your chile supply in, so I usually make it part of some other trip. I tried many different stores in Hatch with various levels of success, and after I hit the Chile Fanatic store I've bought there ever since.

In Tucson there are dozens of places you can buy fresh or roasted Hatch chile, and Mammoth & Hayden always have someone selling fresh every year. No doubt there are places in Phoenix roasting Hatch chile as well.

When my parents were alive and living in Albuquerque, I'd grab three or four sacks on the way to visit them to get their supply in and then grab three or four sacks on the way back home for us and my wife's sisters. Peeling three sacks of chile takes all night, and if I made it back home by three in the afternoon, I'd be finished around six the next morning.

Maybe should organize a club 🌶️ run to Hatch one of these years. I camped in the desert one night and the forest for seven nights, so there are definitely enough nice camping spots along the way there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom