2021 Powertrain Upgrade and 200 Series Refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New post. Finally found someone that seems to know what they are talking about.

The AB60F can lock up the TC in 3-6th.. even at mid-range speeds.. it can also "flex lock up control" to take some slip out of the TC, but not lock up completely, to improve efficiency.

Anyway.. enough nerding out about transmissions. Yes the sequoia pro looks great. I do like the Heritage Edition Cruiser though...

Just to be clear: Selecting 4th or 5th in "S" mode limits the top gear to 4th or 5th - vehicle still starts out in 1st and progresses up the gears until the trans reaches 4th or 5th.

HTH
Okay, thank you, that makes more sense! I have been using the "S" mode more or less solely for compression braking where it works great.
I (mistakenly) assumed the "S" mode operation was more like a "paddle shifter" that will try to maintain the selected gear as long as possible before a shift is forced. Wrong!

New post. Finally found someone that seems to know what they are talking about.

The AB60F can lock up the TC in 3-6th.. even at mid-range speeds.. it can also "flex lock up control" to take some slip out of the TC, but not lock up completely, to improve efficiency.

Anyway.. enough nerding out about transmissions. Yes the sequoia pro looks great. I do like the Heritage Edition Cruiser though...
Definitely not enough nerding about TC if you ask me!

--

I like the changes of the Sequoia TRD edition more than the "Heritage" edition. It gets Fox suspension, Carplay, and numerous TRD upgrades, and the "Heritage" edition gets blackout headlights, a generic roof box, and a pair of badges on the D pillar. Both get BBS wheels.

Agreed. The 2020 Sequoia TRD Pro will be available in Army Green, with a diff lock, Fox Shocks and Apple CarPlay, meanwhile we are stuck with the :censor: Heritage Edition which lacks the soul and heritage of any prior iteration of the venerable Land Cruiser from the past - as well as lacking a diff lock, upgraded shocks, Apple Car play and is in the same color palette already available. There are enough interested consumers on this site alone to merit a real special edition. I agree with prior posts the Land Cruiser IS a TRD in its own right, but can't one be made available with these things as well? The technology/ ability is right there - in Toyota's possession - well within reach, and yet so far away..... It took until 2018 just to get a push button rear gate close button that had been available on the LX for ten years prior. I don't understand...

Rant over.

The Sequoia kid-hauler gets the diff lock...

[Palms forehead...]

I say this as not being condescending or mean. Just continuing a friendly conversation:

But the vast majority of American truck buyers use their trucks as cars. They tow or haul maybe once a month or so. Really it is a lifestyle vehicle.

For the few that are always in tow/haul situations. And that includes towing and hauling off road modifications like steel armor and off road tires. There is little to no fuel economy benefits combined with heavy strain on a little engine operating at a constant near max capacity for long periods of time.

I was lucky for years to have government leased trucks and turn them over every 18 months. Fords, Chevys, Dodges, Toyota’s. Put four grown men, their gear, and a trailer in a 3.5 ecoboost, that thing was the second most gutless drivetrain I ever used in 20 years. Put two guys and gear in it, awesome drivetrain.

And companies like Ford knows this. If you want to actually use your truck for a truck, you buy a F-250. If you want a truck instead of a car, you buy a F-150. One is not better than the other. Just different tools for different applications.

‘‘Tis true...

So many “Bro trucks” here...

-Too tippy & jacked up to wheel...
-Too tall to even load/move a refrigerator or furniture...

But Ford sells a ton to Bros... $$

Strictly a two-

Towing aside (some here would need like a two-foot hutch-drop to even row a boat)...
...I always immediately picture myself trying to load/unload...furniture...a fridge...lawn mower even.

Bottom line: They are mm

The Sequoia kid-hauler gets the diff lock...

[Palms forehead...]

Pretty sure it is just the torsen center diff which is optional on other Sequoias. Not a rear locker.

I only see a torsen center diff with lock mentioned in the press release. That's the same as the 200.

If they put a rear locker in the Sequoia, it would be means for a riot.

Ya, I feel better now.
Will put torch and pitchfork back in the shed... :)

On the other hand... Totota knows it’s general buyers. When I bought my 1999 100 series...with its rear factory locker...I’m pretty sure it had NEVER been engaged in its 3 years of prior ownership. The little knob kinda made a “pop” noise when I engaged it in 2002 when I bought it. :)

The next model year (2000)...no more factory rear lockers here and none since.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, sorry I didn’t read all 9 pages, but I don’t think the US market really plays a significant role in Landcruiser planning. The volume here is minimal compared to the ROW. Sure Toyota will design with the intent of adding the veneer the US expects in the LC and paternal twin Lexus but high content LCs aren’t terribly common elsewhere. Also vis a vie, towing, Toyota has a bunch of BOF tow vehicles they’ll sell you. In the end I suspect we’ll see a lot of design decisions that make sense for Aus/NZ, the ME, S America, and Africa and a few to suit the USDM.

Perhaps a letter writing campaign to James Lentz | Toyota
might do some good? Being able to order an LC with desired options would be very nice!

US market is pretty much an afterthought when it comes to the LC and most here accept that. Just glad we have good indications that they’ll keep selling them in the US...and that body-on-frame has one last major SUV holdout that recognizes its value.

Last edited:
There are enough interested consumers on this site alone to merit a real special edition.

Sorry, but no, there aren’t.

Toyota is only building 1200 of a model that basically just has cosmetic tweaks. That is roughly a third of the total yearly sales in the states. They’d probably need to sell more cruisers than they already do in a year to justify developing a suspension like the TRD Pro models, and even if they did it may never meet Toyota’s durability testing standards.

I don’t know how many active members are in this sub but I’d wager the percentage that can/will suddenly sell their 200 and plunk down $90k+ for a true special edition is quite small.

I don’t know how many active members are in this sub but I’d wager the percentage that can/will suddenly sell their 200 and plunk down $90k+ for a true special edition is quite small.

Agree. Despite annoyance for the lack of included lockers, etc... I think the overwhelming majority of the Heritage Editions buyers will never see offroad use. It’s the IDEA they’ll buy into with the whole heritage thing...kinda like how millions of fully-built Jeeps never see a scratch. -Sold to non-wheelers who aren’t buying into wheeling...but rather buying into the IDEA of the Land Cruiser.

How many Harley Davidsons would sell if only sold to old school actual bikers? Not many. Harley butters it’s bread with wealthy guys who can afford to buy into the fun that’s available in the idea of the Harley...no hard-core biker lifestyle required.

We should probably all be grateful for non-wheeling LC buyers. If it was just the few who actually wheel them, we might really NOT be worth Toyota’s continued distribution here.

So...Toyota relies on both the idea seekers/buyers...and the guys who still push them hard off road. One for finance...the other for continued legitimate 4x4 proof of cred. Thankfully, Toyota has left us the strength, power and quality product to work with—and abuse—as we see fit. :steer:

Last edited:
I too am glad Toyota continues to produce/develop a Land Cruiser for the US market. It is hardly a rounding error on their global sales ledger.

I am also thankful of all the buyers who never go off road and take care of their vehicles. It allows buyers like myself to avoid huge depreciation while picking up a fantastic vehicle with a fraction of its useful life depleted.

This just occurred to me.. Toyota probably makes more money off the camrys/highlanders/etc that landcruiser/LX buyers purchase after being convinced of the toyota quality than they do the 200s themselves.

Perhaps a letter writing campaign to James Lentz | Toyota
might do some good? Being able to order an LC with desired options would be very nice!
On the other hand... I love the idea of the "monotrim"!
I'm still learning how to take advantage of all the features of this fantastic machine, love every minute of it.
I'm fairly certain I would opt out of some of the features if I had a choice and I'm glad I didn't!

--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom