2021 Powertrain Upgrade and 200 Series Refresh (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very unlikely in the US. Much more likely to be a mild hybrid of some sort.

Which I don't understand why they wouldn't go with an eco diesel. Is it the DEF or what? They've got diesels overseas.

Which I don't understand why they wouldn't go with an eco diesel. Is it the DEF or what? They've got diesels overseas.
Given the legal requirements for parts inventory, service training, and EPA testing requirements, most likely they couldn't justify the cost given the potential sales volume.

Given the legal requirements for parts inventory, service training, and EPA testing requirements, most likely they couldn't justify the cost given the potential sales volume.

It would be the same engine as the tundra. Seems lazy to me.

Their overseas diesels won’t meet US emissions regulations. The combination of high pressure fuel systems and exhaust after treatment results in a hugely expensive engine - at least $3-4K more than an equivalent gas engine. The after treatment systems have also been unreliable and expensive to repair. Add in the fact that in most parts of the country diesel is significantly more expensive than gas and the result is that you will never save money buying a light duty diesel. If you look at the diesel V8 Toyota sells in Australia, it is very underpowered and I’ve read about more than a few of them needing to have turbos replaced. Yes, you can get more power out of them with a tune, but then you are breaking emissions regulations.

Finally, dieselgate has significantly tarnished the reputation of diesels in the US.

Their overseas diesels won’t meet US emissions regulations. The combination of high pressure fuel systems and exhaust after treatment results in a hugely expensive engine - at least $3-4K more than an equivalent gas engine. The after treatment systems have also been unreliable and expensive to repair. Add in the fact that in most parts of the country diesel is significantly more expensive than gas and the result is that you will never save money buying a light duty diesel. If you look at the diesel V8 Toyota sells in Australia, it is very underpowered and I’ve read about more than a few of them needing to have turbos replaced. Yes, you can get more power out of them with a tune, but then you are breaking emissions regulations.

Finally, dieselgate has significantly tarnished the reputation of diesels in the US.

Excellent breakdown and analysis. I had a 2016 Ram EcoDiesel and loved it. Got nearly 600 miles per tank.

Traded it in when I'd had 3 major problems not covered under warranty by 42k miles.

Not enough powah. Too much weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom