2021 Oil Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

prwillard2

SILVER Star
Threads
Had looked all over online to confirm oil level. Those with the green dipsticks used 7.9qt of oil with a new filter. I changed my oil on my 2021 HE yesterday, installed the fumoto quick drain valve, and changed the oil filter housing to the metal corolla one while swapping out the inner metal tube.

Filled her up with 7.9qt of Valvoline full synthetic 0w-20 oil, and was right at the middle of the two dots on my dipstick after running the truck for about 10 minutes and taking a quick trip to autozone to drop off my used oil.

HOWEVER, the manual I have says that I'm supposed to be using 8.5qts of oil with an oil change. Did the oil pan change for the 2021 models?

Oil Level.JPG

I agree with UZJ.

And over the years I’ve learned not to worry about internet, manual, or even personally trusted mechanic oil volume recommendations, not to the .5qt anyway. When changing a new to me vehicle I fill it to the low line cold, top it up to the full line when hot (not just the coolant, the oil too, this requires an actual drive), make a note, and that becomes the fill volume for the next change. This number regularly deviates a half quart from everything I read online about that platform.

And it doesn’t bother me one bit.

Can you please elaborate why?

Did a 100 mile trip today up to Anaheim and back. Oil pressure fluctuated from one quarter to just under half.

Do I add more oil? Change to the 5W-30?

Cant remember what it used to be at prior to me changing it.

Did a 100 mile trip today up to Anaheim and back. Oil pressure fluctuated from one quarter to just under half.

That’s accurate and normal. Still change IMO.

Don’t look at the oil pressure gauge. I’d swap to 5-30 next oil change. The 5.7 is extremely kind to any oil. I wouldn’t go out of my way to swap to heavier oil.

As others have said, your fuel gauge is normal. I made the switch to 5W30 for other reasons.

I am going to start doing my own oil changes, next one coming up in 1500 miles. I just wanted to double check these part numbers before ordering, thanks. For those using the Fumoto Drain Plug Valve, are y'all using the long or short nipple model? Just worried about skid plate clearance but without the aftermarket skid plates here I don't really know what that clearance looks like.

TRD Oil Filter (PTR43-00081)

Engine Oil Drain Plug Gasket (90430-12031)

Metal Oil Filter Housing (15620-31060)

I am going to start doing my own oil changes, next one coming up in 1500 miles. I just wanted to double check these part numbers before ordering, thanks. For those using the Fumoto Drain Plug Valve, are y'all using the long or short nipple model? Just worried about skid plate clearance but without the aftermarket skid plates here I don't really know what that clearance looks like.

I don't use one of those valves anymore, but when I did I used a middle-length one from EZ-Drain. Here's a pic of the clearance. It looks like a lot of clearance, but plastic skid can stretch and deform when you have the weight of the vehicle hitting it against a rock. In the end, I simply didn't want to have to worry about anything breaking off the valve and emptying out my oil pan, so I went back to using a normal drain bolt. Even now that I have steel skids, my OCD nature imagines any possible scenario - like some stick on a trail leveraging against the valve and breaking it, as compared to a normal drain bolt where worst case scenario is something hits it in a counterclockwise direction and starts to loosen it.

20201221_101408.jpg

That's the correct PN for the metal oil filter housing and drain plug gasket (but if you use a drain valve, it will likely come with its own rubber gasket). I bought my metal filter housing from Amazon. Not sure about the TRD filter PN.

You may want to check out "NoSpill Systems" drain valve. I use it on my LC, and I have used the same product on other offroad vehicles I've owned. When not draining, the valve has a gasketed brass cover cap and is very low-profile. You purchase a special hose/coupling that screws on the plug at the oil pan when changing oil, as you screw it on, the oil starts flowing.

I really like the "NoSpill" valve due to its low-profile nature and no way to knock the ball valve lever open when using your vehicle.

You may want to check out "NoSpill Systems" drain valve. I use it on my LC, and I have used the same product on other offroad vehicles I've owned. When not draining, the valve has a gasketed brass cover cap and is very low-profile. You purchase a special hose/coupling that screws on the plug at the oil pan when changing oil, as you screw it on, the oil starts flowing.

I really like the "NoSpill" valve due to its low-profile nature and no way to knock the ball valve lever open when using your vehicle.
They show that they make 2 designs. Do you have the Standard Design Large Bottom Drain Plug or the Compact Design Small Bottom Drain Plug ?

This may be helpful to you? I use an EZ103 on my drain pan and have a Jowett filter housing which includes another valve. It's great.

I also want to switch out my stock oil filter housing to the Toyota metal version part number 16520-31060. Here is a comparison of the two. Obviously, the perforated metal sleeve is much shorter on the metal one. Will I need to switch out the perforated metal sleeve between them? Just want to make sure that I am installing the right one.

200 Filter Housing.jpg

I also want to switch out my stock oil filter housing to the Toyota metal version part number 16520-31060. Here is a comparison of the two. Obviously, the perforated metal sleeve is much shorter on the metal one. Will I need to switch out the perforated metal sleeve between them? Just want to make sure that I am installing the right one.

View attachment 3036631
Yes, bend the tabs to change them out. Bend tabs back

Yes, bend the tabs to change them out. Bend tabs back
Thank you. Figured that it was going to be simple. Just wanted to make sure that I was picking up the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom