2021 Labor Day Weekend Trail Run: South Baldy Loop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tobacco Roots=

Noble Lake is gorgeous. Haven't driven it personally, I think it is mild though (@JohnnyOshow22 is this one easy?)
Lower and Upper Boulder lake on the west side is also very scenic... any stock truck could run this one easy.

Can a stock truck do Baldy Loop?

Noble lake is chill minus one super sketchy bridge.
It may not seem like it but it is grizzly country. We did a backpack up mustard pass a couple years ago. Left the trail head with the biggest moose I've ever seen. Hiked 4ish miles to a dried up lake, backtracked to a tiny lake to set up camp. Bear tracks everywhere! Got a mountain house heated up and the dog was being wierd. We looked across the pond and there was a grizzly a couple hundred yards from shore. I yelled at it and it didn't seem phased. He actually seemed like He was headed around the lake to check us out. We packed up and hiked out in the dark. The moose was still at the trail head when we got back.

Hummm...if my truck isn't in pieces, I may be interested in a day trip to McCarty Creek/Elkhorn. Never been, but have wanted to.

Tobacco Roots=

Noble Lake is gorgeous. Haven't driven it personally, I think it is mild though (@JohnnyOshow22 is this one easy?)
Lower and Upper Boulder lake on the west side is also very scenic... any stock truck could run this one easy.
Easy just your typical bumpy dirt road with 6" coble stone a lot of the way, one sketchy bridge that honestly wasn't that bad the last time we were up there. The downhill side was crumbling away but there wasn't really anywhere for it to go and the understructure was strong enough for my whale of an 80 lol

I spent a bunch of time tonight getting really disappointed by the choices I've made in mapping apps, trying to research the various trails that have been suggested, and then square that with 29" tires. I've updated the first post with details.

I'm sure a lot of folks already have plans for Labor Day, but I bet there's a few who don't and might enjoy a trail run. If that sounds like you, go ahead and post which days you have open and any trails you'd be interested in running. I'll edit this post as we iron out the details.

The Details:
Meet at the McAllister Inn Steakhouse at 0900. That'll save anyone running an F engine the embarrassment of getting seen being passed by bicyclists on the hill between Norris and McAllister. Be fueled up and ready to go when you arrive. We'll head west on N Meadow Creek Rd until the intersection with S Meadow Creek Rd, where the pavement ends. We'll stop to air down there, and then continue on S Meadow Creek Rd to the Missouri Millsite, and then turn onto South Baldy Mtn Rd. We'll follow the loop to Washington Creek Rd and back to S Meadow Creek Rd.

Date(s):
Monday 6September2021

Time:

5566 Highway 287 N
McAllister, MT
45.443075, -111.731360

Confirmed:
@pigmon
[/QUOTE]

I spent a bunch of time tonight getting really disappointed by the choices I've made in mapping apps, trying to research the various trails that have been suggested, and then square that with 29" tires. I've updated the first post with details.
Yeah, I'm disappointed in both OnX and Gaia. May have to look at what the pros use.

Yeah, I'm disappointed in both OnX and Gaia. May have to look at what the pros use.
im not a professional but i rely on the advice from friends and willie's books. i use Gaia to track where ive been. not for navigation. i like it because its free. noble lake is easy peasy. a friend just had his full sized tundra up there a couple weekends ago. the bridge isnt THAT bad. ive seen much worse.

Compared to @ttFJC I may as well be a professional :popcorn: and I own both gaia and OnX and I will say from my experience you're better off using gaia and its great functions to find the trails on paper and then cross reference what is open/closed using MVUM's from the forest service and then google the trail, look for feedback and the again use gaia to map your progress. OnX seems great for hunting but it is lacking a lot of features on the off-road version and the fact that whenever you try to move the map it drops a pin drives me insane, I know they're updating it and working on it all the time and for that reason it'll likely continue to live on my phone. Like Aaron said your best resource for around here are friends/club members and those books he's talking about

Compared to @ttFJC I may as well be a professional :popcorn:
no need to compair MR. land cruiser mechanic extraordinaire and JOHNNY-ON-THE-SPOT.

please tell me again how many times your lexus has done the rubican

Is anyone interested in running this trail? I'm going to do it regardless, but if nobody else is planning on going I'm going to do it differently than I would with a group.

Not comparing just commenting @ttFJC 😂 3 times now and probably a few more in the more nearer future

Is anyone interested in running this trail? I'm going to do it regardless, but if nobody else is planning on going I'm going to do it differently than I would with a group.
I'm out for this one, just here to confirm noble is an easy but cool trail

I'm probably unable to make it out to play. Trying to make substantial completion on my truck brakes this weekend so I can get back to fiddling with the carb tuning. If things come together faster than I expect, I'll PM you. Don't hold your plans for me though.

yeah it looks like ill be near drummond this weekend birdhunting. i should be in bozeman on sunday the 12th maybe we should go on a drive that afternoon

yeah it looks like ill be near drummond this weekend birdhunting. i should be in bozeman on sunday the 12th maybe we should go on a drive that afternoon
I have a friend from high school back in Michigan who owns property north of Drummond. It's a neat area.

Not going to make it either. I got a friend to help me install my suspension/lift kit this weekend. Lucky me. I hope we can do the Blue Lake Re-do on SEP 11th.

unfortunately, i'm out again. truck still not back from dude doing my rust repair (bed pan, drivers floor pan, and rear quarters). Just got off the phone with him, truck is still apart, and not to paint yet. He needs a "few more day" (that means a week). chomping at the bit, but hopefully the wait is worth it and I'm on a shakedown run next weekend. If I am, i'll post it prior to see if anyone would like to join. Have fun Monday, nice looking day and route.

unfortunately, i'm out again. truck still not back from dude doing my rust repair (bed pan, drivers floor pan, and rear quarters). Just got off the phone with him, truck is still apart, and not to paint yet. He needs a "few more day" (that means a week). chomping at the bit, but hopefully the wait is worth it and I'm on a shakedown run next weekend. If I am, i'll post it prior to see if anyone would like to join. Have fun Monday, nice looking day and route.
I hope you have your vehicle back before the meeting on the 18th.

I'm sure a lot of folks already have plans for Labor Day, but I bet there's a few who don't and might enjoy a trail run. If that sounds like you, go ahead and post which days you have open and any trails you'd be interested in running. I'll edit this post as we iron out the details.

The Details:
Meet at the McAllister Inn Steakhouse at 0900. That'll save anyone running an F engine the embarrassment of getting seen being passed by bicyclists on the hill between Norris and McAllister. Be fueled up and ready to go when you arrive. We'll head west on N Meadow Creek Rd until the intersection with S Meadow Creek Rd, where the pavement ends. We'll stop to air down there, and then continue on S Meadow Creek Rd to the Missouri Millsite, and then turn onto South Baldy Mtn Rd. We'll follow the loop to Washington Creek Rd and back to S Meadow Creek Rd.

Date(s):
Monday 6September2021

Time:

5566 Highway 287 N
McAllister, MT
45.443075, -111.731360

Confirmed:
@pigmony
Anyone have any pictures of this area or a map that shows where it is? Just trying to get an idea of what it is like. If it is a area I have been looking to check out I might go and be able to convince the wife to come along.

Is it in the Tabacoo roots? Anyone camping out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom