2021 Labor Day Weekend Trail Run: South Baldy Loop

Visit site
I'm sure a lot of folks already have plans for Labor Day, but I bet there's a few who don't and might enjoy a trail run. If that sounds like you, go ahead and post which days you have open and any trails you'd be interested in running. I'll edit this post as we iron out the details.

The Details:
Meet at the McAllister Inn Steakhouse at 0900. That'll save anyone running an F engine the embarrassment of getting seen being passed by bicyclists on the hill between Norris and McAllister. Be fueled up and ready to go when you arrive. We'll head west on N Meadow Creek Rd until the intersection with S Meadow Creek Rd, where the pavement ends. We'll stop to air down there, and then continue on S Meadow Creek Rd to the Missouri Millsite, and then turn onto South Baldy Mtn Rd. We'll follow the loop to Washington Creek Rd and back to S Meadow Creek Rd.

Date(s):
Monday 6September2021

Time:

5566 Highway 287 N
McAllister, MT
45.443075, -111.731360

South Baldy Loop.jpg

Confirmed:
@pigmony

Last edited:
Visit site
My response:

Date(s): SEP 3,4,5

Time: Start NLT 10am

South Baldy (Tobacco Root) preferred, or possibly Ringing Rocks.

I don't have rock sliders yet on my Taco. I don't think I could get through North Meadows/McKelvey or McCarty Creek without significant damage.

Visit site
South Baldy (Tobacco Root) preferred, or possibly Ringing Rocks.
I've done Ringing Rocks solo, but I'd be up to do it again.

I haven’t done South Baldy. OnX says it's only a 4 mile trail but it takes 3 hours. (sigh) Sometimes crowd sourced data is really bad. My guess is that it's 3 hours, out and back, from Virginia City. I'd be up for giving that a try.

Visit site
its a good one. well worth it. are you trying to map this on OnX or something? the trail portion is NOT 28 miles
Yeah, on OnX. McCarty Creek is ~10 miles and Skyline Mine is ~4 miles, and run them on the way in and out. ~28 miles. Or are the distances totally off?

Visit site
McCarty Creek looked too technical for my stock rig and no rock sliders, which is why I recommended the others. But I am open to the possibility. I'm far from an expert on any MT trails. Just going by what I found on OnX.

Visit site
McCarty Creek looked too technical for my stock rig and no rock sliders, which is why I recommended the others. But I am open to the possibility. I'm far from an expert on any MT trails. Just going by what I found on OnX.
McCarty Creek is rated 4:10 on OnX, which is the same as Ringing Rocks. I'm not sure how accurate those ratings are though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom