2020 Grom VLine Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drove the 100 just now... got in, phone still in pocket (closed/locked), started the truck... CarPlay fired right up - Waze, Spotify, Pandora, Texts, Phone, everything... So $*#&ing cool.

Same experience. Updated the Vline2 yesterday and drove to work. Clean and seamless transition. Wish the screen can be updated but oh well. All the functions seems to be operating without any problems. A good buy if you want to modernized you rig without any drastic modifications.

How does it look with the low resolution screen? Can you post pictures from a few different apps - Music/Spotify, apple/google maps, etc?

@Moridinbg have you read much of Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity? He does a great job of explaining how perspective influences everything - not just energy and matter. Like - how long 60 seconds feels when you're holding your breath vs. reading this post. So, when thinking about wireless CarPlay in a 100-Series Land Cruiser, one must consider the perspective. This is a truck that had - at best - a 6-disc CD changer and a cassette deck. Is the screen on par with a 2020 anything? Oh *%#& no. It's like watching a video in 480p vs a 1080p.

The larger graphics are fine - the bigger buttons, icons, maps, etc. It's the text that's not so great. I think that could be improved - larger, different font, etc. And, given the pace at which Grom is sending out significant updates - even during the Coronapocolypse - I'm optimistic.

This is the only pic I have on my phone. If I think about it next time I'm in the truck - which these days is kinda rare - I'll shoot a few pics of the individual apps.

IMG_6795.jpeg

Last edited:

Here's a picture I posted a while back using spotify

Hard to see streets on mine. Vline is is not the problem it’s the screen. Despite the limitations of the screen, I’d buy again at The group buy price.

03C2F389-E740-4692-A498-0C66E996CBA6.jpeg

922B3F9F-750B-48EB-952D-487CD2EE34B7.jpeg

Finally installed mine today. Followed most peoples lead and put it in the glove box. Ran the GPS up to the passenger side dash by the auto head lamp sensor (I think that's what that little red button is) and the Mic up the passenger side A-Pillar over to the mirror.

I was initially having some trouble getting the Siri voice commands to work and hands free calling to work. The call would go through but when the recipient picked up I couldn't hear them through the speakers. I found that removing the phone from the factory bluetooth settings solved the problem.

I also got the optional camera connector, it allows you to run 2 cameras. When I added my swing out I lost the functionality of my reverse camera. To solve it I ran a line to an aftermarket camera mounted up on my passenger D-Pillar using an antenna mount. It works pretty good, it's a little clunky in the UI, requiring a few button presses to get the camera to come up on the screen. That said, I'm thinking of adding a second camera to the front bumper for off roading.

Has anyone explored any bluetooth cameras that might interface with the V-Line? Seems like that might be a more flexible option for running some spotter cameras.

The wireless connecting was working great... was. Then my daughter borrowed the 100 and paired her iPhone. Now, each time get in, I have to...
- Go to CarPlay settings
- Scroll down
- Select my phone
- Back
- CarPlay
... so, from zero buttons to five.

Anyone figured out how to "forget" a phone so this will (hopefully) go back to automatically connecting?

Just got mine installed and am only getting a black screen. Shop who installed it said it was working before they dropped it off. They suggested I leave the LC running to make sure the battery is charged (new battery).
Tried turning off and back on, just a black screen. Press Audio and it flashes the factory screen then back to black. Pressing CD just brings up the top CD bar then back to black.

I can hear the module booting up but no Vline graphics. Anyone had this happen?

Just got mine installed and am only getting a black screen. Shop who installed it said it was working before they dropped it off. They suggested I leave the LC running to make sure the battery is charged (new battery).
Tried turning off and back on, just a black screen. Press Audio and it flashes the factory screen then back to black. Pressing CD just brings up the top CD bar then back to black.

I can hear the module booting up but no Vline graphics. Anyone had this happen?

Try disconnecting the "power" plug on the Vline, plug it back in, and restart the car.

This connector:
1590000082215.png

Try disconnecting the "power" plug on the Vline, plug it back in, and restart the car.

This connector:
View attachment 2313145
Thank you for the help - tried this and no dice. Drove the truck 8 or so miles tuned it off...sat for 30 min then started working when I turned it back on. Has booted up fine each time since.

Only item not working is the mic, I can hear others talking but they are unable to hear me (via Bluetooth and CarPlay).

Thank you for the help - tried this and no dice. Drove the truck 8 or so miles tuned it off...sat for 30 min then started working when I turned it back on. Has booted up fine each time since.

Only item not working is the mic, I can hear others talking but they are unable to hear me (via Bluetooth and CarPlay).

I've seen the black screen trick a few times, normally when I am in a hurry, and put the vehicle in reverse, almost immediately after starting. If I pause a few seconds before I put it in reverse, I rarely see the issue.

Where was the mic installed?

Last edited:
I've seen the black screen trick a few times, normally when I am in a hurry, and put the vehicle in reverse, almost immediately after starting. If I pause a few seconds before I put it in reverse, I rarely see the issue.

Where was the mic installed?

It’s on the instrument cluster lip on the right side.

It’s on the instrument cluster lip on the right side.

It could be a bad mic, or a bad connection in the glovebox, but I've had the best results with the mic installed in the overhead console area.

Have you disconnected your phone from your factory handsfree calling? Not just in the phone but in the factory head unit as well? That solved all my issues with hands free calling and "hey Siri" commands.

Reactions: jLB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom