2018 LC200 KDSS??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I’m new to the forum.. picked up a 2018 a couple of months ago. I’m in the process of throwing some mods at it now...

I was having the lift installed by a local 4x4 shop and they accidentally let some pressure out of the KDSS. I initially warned them and printed out ARB’s KDSS instructions but the tech mess up.

They installed the lift and lowered it off the lift and all seems okay.

I’m not sure what I should be looking for as far as problems. It seems to drive fine. No warning lights. No excessive roll.

They said if things were messed up they would pay Toyota to correct them.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks
Jason

B42E4326-101E-4301-87C7-962A78CC2955.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed with above. Doesn't matter if you're not feeling anything weird have the dealership inspect and fix it, especially when you won't have to deal with the burden of the bill

First of all I would have them note on your invoice that they did in fact release pressure from the KDSS then take it to Toyota to inspect and correct. Give the bill to the local 4x4 shop. Kudos to the shop so far for admitting their error.

Good call on noting it on the invoice. I'm betting their being willing to admit error was from the perspective of "how expensive can it be?" and they will have sticker shock when they realize how specialized this system and the costs to repair it are.

Great! Good info! They did note it on the invoice. I will make an appointment with Toyota to inspect it. Thanks guys!👍

Last edited:
As a retired business owner I would rather pay Toyota to fix/repair than face a potential lawsuit for an injury accident. Things happen even in the best of shops, get it fixed correctly and move on.

You are supposed to release the 2 KDSS screws when doing suspension. do them up, problem fixed. You only need to reset KDSS if you have a lean to one side.

It sounds like they ignored factory advice and went past the three turns on the KDSS screws... allowing some pressure to release past them.

So I don't think tightening them up will fix the problem.

I had the same exact thing happen last week while getting some helper airbags installed on my 2016 LC. When I took the vehicle back it had a very obvious lean which told me the KDSS wasn't even taken into consideration while the work was being done. When asking the mechanic to fix the lean, he accidentally turned the screw to far and dumped a substantial amount of hydraulic fluid on the floor.
Right now it's sitting at the dealer getting re-pressurized.

The dealer said they didn't notice any problems, but I told them to do the recharge anyway because I definitely saw the fluid come out and the mechanic said he will pay for the recharge (good guy).

Should be picking up by end of day here, cost I believe is under $1000. Will know for sure later.

Rather scary when you trust someone to service your vehicle and they can't even count to 3 successfully twice. :bang:

I had the same exact thing happen last week while getting some helper airbags installed on my 2016 LC. When I took the vehicle back it had a very obvious lean which told me the KDSS wasn't even taken into consideration while the work was being done. When asking the mechanic to fix the lean, he accidentally turned the screw to far and dumped a substantial amount of hydraulic fluid on the floor.
Right now it's sitting at the dealer getting re-pressurized.

The dealer said they didn't notice any problems, but I told them to do the recharge anyway because I definitely saw the fluid come out and the mechanic said he will pay for the recharge (good guy).

Should be picking up by end of day here, cost I believe is under $1000. Will know for sure later.

It is so baffling they would suggest it was “ok” after dumping...or suggest skipping recharge! That KDSS is pressurized in the neighborhood of 600+ PSI!

Glad the mechanic is showing his own integrity though. That is golden.

Rather scary when you trust someone to service your vehicle and they can't even count to 3 successfully twice. :bang:

Beginning to think we should all practice *out loud* with technician:

“One potato
Two potato
Three potato STOP!!!”
lol

If necessary...-Bring ukulele and teach them to SING IT while they work. :hillbilly: Hehe

It is so baffling they would suggest it was “ok” after dumping...or suggest skipping recharge! That KDSS is pressurized in the neighborhood of 600+ PSI!

Glad the mechanic is showing his own integrity though. That is golden.

When I talked with the main service guy at my local dealership, he told me that the SST (Special Service Tool), a.k.a. pump, needed to recharge the KDSS was not on hand at all dealerships. When needed, dealer must call Mr. T and he will have one shipped from a nearby dealership that does have one on hand. Guess there's not a lot of demand for recharging the KDSS.

It could be the dealership just didn't want to go through that hassle, so suggested skipping the recharge. Obviously not right, but I can understand why they might be reluctant to do it.

HTH

Beginning to think we should all practice *out loud* with technician:

“One potato
Two potato
Three potato STOP!!!”
lol

If necessary...-Bring ukulele and teach them to SING IT while they work. :hillbilly: Hehe
If they can't count to 3 how in the heck are they going to play the ukulele or remember the words? I suggest telling them if any pressure is lost the dash lights up like a pinball machine and it costs 1.5 k at the dealer to remedy.

If they can't count to 3 how in the heck are they going to play the ukulele or remember the words? I suggest telling them if any pressure is lost the dash lights up like a pinball machine and it costs 1.5 k at the dealer to remedy.

No... I mean **we play**...teach them to sing! Lol
If a 4 year old can learn the ABC song...I figure there’s hope for techs learning my potato song... hahaha

My bottom line take-away here?
**If I ever own a mecanic shop...part of my job interviews for techs shall hereby be whether they can count to 3.
Hehe

Doing some research on this it seems that most of the stories involve using a ratchet, or worse yet an impact tool, to break the KDSS valve loose. That might explain getting past 3 more quickly than anticipated.

That said, it does seem a bit un-Mr. T that they wouldn’t have put some intermediate stop at 3 turns and skip the drama. But I’m just learning the KDSS system...

When I talked with the main service guy at my local dealership, he told me that the SST (Special Service Tool), a.k.a. pump, needed to recharge the KDSS was not on hand at all dealerships. When needed, dealer must call Mr. T and he will have one shipped from a nearby dealership that does have one on hand. Guess there's not a lot of demand for recharging the KDSS.

It could be the dealership just didn't want to go through that hassle, so suggested skipping the recharge. Obviously not right, but I can understand why they might be reluctant to do it.

HTH

That is exactly how my conversation ended with the dealer yesterday. They have to call around to the other dealers in the Denver\Boulder area to get the tool after they realized it's a different one than used for the 4Runner KDSS. It's going to be a few days which is kind of a bummer because we have a great blizzard coming in and it's fun to drive the LC around.

What are the symptoms associated (caused by) discharged or undercharged KDSS?
Reading this thread - I maybe wrong - I think I have seen regular bolts, not allen heads, in those actuators...
I better double check...

--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom