Builds 2018 GCC Spec 79 Series 1HD-FTE + H152 - The Camel (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

😳🤩🚀😍

D32012D0-6200-49FE-8418-51574C20CF70.jpeg
7137CAA8-4B5D-4D0A-BC61-7C2FDCDB80A5.jpeg
4A1B0372-4E93-47FA-A0E1-B99749A9B354.jpeg

Cheers

Per @Onur, this FTE short block was manufactured by Toyota on February 4, 2021. I’ve got veggies in my fridge older than this thing.

It was built for your order John! 🤩😎

Cheers

Who else looked up that part number and wanted to "buy now"? I know I did. Thanks for sharing everything about this build, it's amazing, as are the others.

Just for education sake, will a 1HD engine from a RHD cruiser work in a LHD cruiser, or was this part of the reason this was purchased? I’ve always wanted a 70 series w/ this engine, and have kicked around the idea of doing something here in Angola at some point, but all the 1HD engines will likely be from RHD 80/100’s in Namibia/RZA/imported vehicles. Furthermore, what would a new short block set you back?

Just for education sake, will a 1HD engine from a RHD cruiser work in a LHD cruiser, or was this part of the reason this was purchased? I’ve always wanted a 70 series w/ this engine, and have kicked around the idea of doing something here in Angola at some point, but all the 1HD engines will likely be from RHD 80/100’s in Namibia/RZA/imported vehicles. Furthermore, what would a new short block set you back?
The engines are not any different but you will have a slightly different wiring harness. The biggest issue so far is this truck came with the CAN Bus wiring setup and that doesn’t cross over so nicely with the 1HD engines. We are going to be running HZ wiring harnesses from a new model HZJ79 and have that adapted to work with the 1HDFTM. Should result in a very clean and uncomplicated setup. Not saying you cannot make the 1HD variety work in the CAN bus environment but we are going to take a different route.

As for price, the short blocks sometime show up on Partsouq and run about $5500 landed in the US. The only downside to a new short block is the rest of your engine will not look as good and you end up buying all new everything. Next thing you know you spent $25,000 on a new engine and you still haven’t seen the Gturbo bill.......The bits and pieces to make it nice and shiny add up real quick.

The engines are not any different but you will have a slightly different wiring harness. The biggest issue so far is this truck came with the CAN Bus wiring setup and that doesn’t cross over so nicely with the 1HD engines. We are going to be running HZ wiring harnesses from a new model HZJ79 and have that adapted to work with the 1HDFTM. Should result in a very clean and uncomplicated setup. Not saying you cannot make the 1HD variety work in the CAN bus environment but we are going to take a different route.

As for price, the short blocks sometime show up on Partsouq and run about $5500 landed in the US. The only downside to a new short block is the rest of your engine will not look as good and you end up buying all new everything. Next thing you know you spent $25,000 on a new engine and you still haven’t seen the Gturbo bill.......The bits and pieces to make it nice and shiny add up real quick.
In my neck of the woods, coming across a 1HZ powered Troopy, 76, 79 double/single cab is easy peasy. It’s the 1HD’s that are a challenge. Can you get a new long block from Toyota or Partsouq? An aquaintance of mine in Cape Town rebuilt a 1HD-T to better than OEM (port/polish/blueprint), and it cost him roughly $10k installed in the clients new Troopy. That’s kind of my angle. Is this better to source a RHD engine one day and rebuild for LHD or is it better to buy new. Anyways, I’m loving this thread and @TonyP ‘s thread. 1HD in a 70... I have to pull my self away from watching and reading, lol...

In my neck of the woods, coming across a 1HZ powered Troopy, 76, 79 double/single cab is easy peasy. It’s the 1HD’s that are a challenge. Can you get a new long block from Toyota or Partsouq? An aquaintance of mine in Cape Town rebuilt a 1HD-T to better than OEM (port/polish/blueprint), and it cost him roughly $10k installed in the clients new Troopy. That’s kind of my angle. Is this better to source a RHD engine one day and rebuild for LHD or is it better to buy new. Anyways, I’m loving this thread and @TonyP ‘s thread. 1HD in a 70... I have to pull my self away from watching and reading, lol...
No more long blocks available new. The one I got for the 80 series was around $14k landed.

If you have someone that will rebuild the HD with OEM parts and do the swap for $10k you should be rolling your truck down to that shop. Just the short block and some assorted new OEM parts will easily cost that much.

Okay I’m still blown away at this $10k number. I’m not saying your friend is full of it, but I don’t see how you could do the rebuild and the swap at a shop for $10k even if the parts were given to you for free and the machine shop did not charge you.

Yeah, it was in South Africa and he did it a few years ago. I’m probably off on that. Maybe that was the price of the rebuild alone. The Rand has crashed over the past 5 yrs so it’s probably a good bit more now.

Yeah, it was in South Africa and he did it a few years ago. I’m probably off on that. Maybe that was the price of the rebuild alone. The Rand has crashed over the past 5 yrs so it’s probably a good bit more now.
Either way. You should absolutely acquire a new HZJ Troopy or Double Cab, gut the engine/transmission and swap in a FT/H152. You can get some decent money for a brand new 1HZ takeout. It would be an insanely easy swap and the final result would be worth it.

Alrighty, so we got the new OEM short block. It’s definitely out of sight over the top awesome. I am not against rebuilding the bottom end on any engine, although a diesel does take a bit more care on the bottom end build, machining. It kind of always comes down to a cost analysis which I do my best to offer-present to anyone. I don’t think you can argue a new short block will always be better than a rebuild. This friggin’ short block was assembled in Japan by Toyota after John placed his order. That is pretty awesome if you ask me!

We got everything new for the top end besides one set of rocker arms because those have recently been changed. I can’t see us needing a cam either but that is still pending. Head is getting worked on now. It’s a used head from another one of Johns FT’s but I would be surprised if it has any cracks ect-all. Tony’s got .003 knocked of it, let’s see what this one gets.

We got our chassis squared away for the build I do believe. Clean California rust free locked ready to go.

As John has mentioned the wiring is the biggest hurdle in the build but I think we can work that out like he says. This is an FT we are building not an FTE so much simpler on the engine side.

As soon as Johns 80 is done this build is coming in and getting started. In the meantime we are gathering up bits and pieces.

Cheers

So cool that short blocks for these engines are still available, and cooler yet that they are essentially "built to order"! Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Wanting to get some things going so that we are fairly prepared when the 🐫 comes in the shop.

John has done some research and reaching out to Australian connections, I have scratched my head and tried to use logic and @Onur has done some research and parts goodness.

Ya know, we are wiringless on this build. No dash harness, no chassis harness, no engine harness and no front clip harness just nothing. Almost all your new 70-series are running a Can Bus system. We don’t want that, let’s see how this plays out. 😉

Cheers

Yea the electrical has been a problem. Really was not even sure what was going to come of this truck to be honest. Everything happened with my 80 series, I swiped the engine from this truck, and I bought a second 79 series pickup so that just meant I just lost all focus on this truck. Add that to the wiring debate and that just meant we turned our focus elsewhere.

The first instrument cluster @Onur ordered was awesome. But it was for the GRJ series (or something like that) and we learned that was the CAN bus system and it seems that type of harness is not so easily modified. The HDJ’s were all on a different system and did not come with CAN bus electronics. And so far I have not actually spoken to anyone that has swapped a FT/FTE into a CAN bus cruiser. I thought I had heard of some in Aus but have been unable to actually confirm. Even if they have I don’t think we are going to try it.

It seems as though the HZJ series did not maintain CAN bus even through current years. That would be perfect if it works out. @Onur found some new harnesses for current model HZJ79’s that may work out. Right now we are just playing the harness lottery. They shipped out today so we should know pretty soon.

Last edited:
The positive develop on the harness side of things put me in a better frame of mind with this truck. But it got me thinking about the engine choice and have been concerned about having two really similar but also really different engines (the FTE v FT). We have the new FTE short block so.......after a few emails with GTurbo it looks like @SNLC is going to be building this engine as the electronically controlled FTE. GTurbo is going to supply us with a new and improved FTE injection pump, injectors, turbo and a chip. Thrashlux is going to supply the FTE ECU, harness, pedal, etc., and it should plug right into the harness @Onur procured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom