Builds 2018 GCC Spec 79 Series 1HD-FTE + H152 - The Camel (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just stumbled onto this thread after looking into some mods for my up and coming GCC spec VDJ79 double cab. To everyone recommending the VDJ engine for the 70 series, I’ve had both the 24v 1HD-FT in my UK spec 80 w/ a manual gearbox, and now the VDJ in my 200 w/ a manual gearbox. While the VDJ gets me more revs and is nice for cruising on the open road, I miss the torque and acceleration of my 1HD-FT. No engine mods, just a slightly tuned IP where it smoked slightly, and that thing pulled like a train, even on 35” tires while towing a laden off-road caravan. My VDJ-200 does it just fine, but not with near the ease of my 80. I always wanted to get the 1HD-FTE engine in a 70 series. The 70 series, w/ the 1HD-FT/FTE on an 80 series chassis (matching axles and coils all around) is the 70 series Toyota should’ve made all along IMO. @jmlockwood, you’re gonna love this truck. Some guys in South Africa are doing the very same thing to their Troopy’s and such. You can spot them a mile away because of the massive smile they have! 😂

Just stumbled onto this thread after looking into some mods for my up and coming GCC spec VDJ79 double cab. To everyone recommending the VDJ engine for the 70 series, I’ve had both the 24v 1HD-FT in my UK spec 80 w/ a manual gearbox, and now the VDJ in my 200 w/ a manual gearbox. While the VDJ gets me more revs and is nice for cruising on the open road, I miss the torque and acceleration of my 1HD-FT. No engine mods, just a slightly tuned IP where it smoked slightly, and that thing pulled like a train, even on 35” tires while towing a laden off-road caravan. My VDJ-200 does it just fine, but not with near the ease of my 80. I always wanted to get the 1HD-FTE engine in a 70 series. The 70 series, w/ the 1HD-FT/FTE on an 80 series chassis (matching axles and coils all around) is the 70 series Toyota should’ve made all along IMO. @jmlockwood, you’re gonna love this truck. Some guys in South Africa are doing the very same thing to their Troopy’s and such. You can spot them a mile away because of the massive smile they have! 😂

We thought long and hard about the VDJ. Ultimately, having a brand new FTE made the choice a lot easier.

A new FTE...in a new double cab...now that would be cool. Lot of ideas.

I've got a self serving question... Do you know if you can add one of those oil catch dishes below the oil filter to a regular 1HZ?

Keep up the good work and all the eye candy btw!

Some HZs have the holes for the oils catch pan. My JDM HZ didn't unfortunately. I'm sure @Onur knows the years of availability.

Awesome first hand comparison. Is the 200 single or double turbo?

A lot of people will argue, the FT or more to the point the FTE is the finest Toyota diesel ever made. I have no experience with the 1VD but I really do like the FT/FTE and I have worked on 1HDT, 1HZ, 1PZ as well as some Patrol TD’s.

Lots more to come from my shop soon, @TonyP has an FTE showing up any day now. Once it lands we have x2 FTE’s and x3 FT’s in the shop. Yup we are getting real familiar with these engines and yup, we like them A LOT! 😁

Cheers

A lot of people will argue, the FT or more to the point the FTE is the finest Toyota diesel ever made. I have no experience with the 1VD but I really do like the FT/FTE and I have worked on 1HDT, 1HZ, 1PZ as well as some Patrol TD’s.

Lots more to come from my shop soon, @TonyP has an FTE showing up any day now. Once it lands we have x2 FTE’s and x3 FT’s in the shop. Yup we are getting real familiar with these engines and yup, we like them A LOT! 😁

Cheers
A 1VD is quite different to drive to a 1HD-### - not quite as smooth IMHO but a torque plateau not a torque curve, and a sound to die for with a decent exhaust. Having said the above, below the torque curve, a lot less off boost torque, presume due to compression ratio of 16.8:1 IIRC rather than 18.6:1
Personally if all other options were equal, it's a 1HD-FTE over a 1VD-FTV and the sixes are better on fuel too.

A 1VD is quite different to drive to a 1HD-### - not quite as smooth IMHO but a torque plateau not a torque curve, and a sound to die for with a decent exhaust. Having said the above, below the torque curve, a lot less off boost torque, presume due to compression ratio of 16.8:1 IIRC rather than 18.6:1
Personally if all other options were equal, it's a 1HD-FTE over a 1VD-FTV and the sixes are better on fuel too.

Honestly, I spent A LOT of time with the SD33T. Old school, I know and only a five bearing crank. On that engine though, Nissan ran fairly higher compression numbers, it’s been awhile but iirc 18-19:1 on the TD and 21:1 on the N/A.

Anyways, that’s the diesel I cut my teeth on so to speak. The Nissan version I suppose of the 2H and 12HT. Never really played with the Patrol TD42 so cant comment there but the similarities of Nissan to Toyota diesels are A LOT.

Having played with a 1PZ and 1HZ a lot now too, and even a fair amount with the 1HDT, man I really prefer the FT/FTE. If I was going to swap a diesel in my own Cruiser, these are what I would use.

And on that note, I personally like a torque curve. I like to feel the power comes on, get familiar with it and driving it. After that it is really an enjoyable experience driving them. Which is why I also like an LS swap, it really does give the same kind of driving experience even if totally different.

Cheers

Honestly, I spent A LOT of time with the SD33T. Old school, I know and only a five bearing crank. On that engine though, Nissan ran fairly higher compression numbers, it’s been awhile but iirc 18-19:1 on the TD and 21:1 on the N/A.

Anyways, that’s the diesel I cut my teeth on so to speak. The Nissan version I suppose of the 2H and 12HT. Never really played with the Patrol TD42 so cant comment there but the similarities of Nissan to Toyota diesels are A LOT.

Having played with a 1PZ and 1HZ a lot now too, and even a fair amount with the 1HDT, man I really prefer the FT/FTE. If I was going to swap a diesel in my own Cruiser, these are what I would use.

And on that note, I personally like a torque curve. I like to feel the power comes on, get familiar with it and driving it. After that it is really an enjoyable experience driving them. Which is why I also like an LS swap, it really does give the same kind of driving experience even if totally different.

Cheers
The TD42 crowd won't admit it, but they don't hold up well making big power. I have 3 mates with TD42 patrols that have been worked (not shoddy workmanship) - the first has snapped conrods twice, second has put a leg out of bed and 3rd I think had a rod failure too. They can't take it like a Yota engine. As far as a straight 6 diesel, FTE is it IMHO

I had an LS2 powered GU4 patrol for a while, ZD30 swap - cam and block huggers and that thing ripped but ate diffs a bit too frequently.

I'd be very tempted again, especially if I was in the US.

The TD42 crowd won't admit it, but they don't hold up well making big power. I have 3 mates with TD42 patrols that have been worked (not shoddy workmanship) - the first has snapped conrods twice, second has put a leg out of bed and 3rd I think had a rod failure too. They can't take it like a Yota engine. As far as a straight 6 diesel, FTE is it IMHO

I had an LS2 powered GU4 patrol for a while, ZD30 swap - cam and block huggers and that thing ripped but ate diffs a bit too frequently.

I'd be very tempted again, especially if I was in the US.
1-tons 😝

We are derailing Johns thread now. I learned to work on a diesel on the old SD33T 17 or 18 yrs ago now. It was a good engine to learn the ropes.

Cheers

1-tons 😝

We are derailing Johns thread now. I learned to work on a diesel on the old SD33T 17 or 18 yrs ago now. It was a good engine to learn the ropes.

Cheers
Hahaha, yeah, sorry for the hijack!
Cheers

Cheers
My 200 is a GXR coming from Toyota Gibraltar, so it has the twin turbo intercooled V8. Don’t get me wrong, it’s very nice to drive, and I can easily find myself doing 140kph along a flat stretch of road without even thinking, even while towing the caravan. Still, the 1HD-FT... That is an engine/vehicle I’ll look back at with fond memories... Though I’d have been happy to have swapped out the gearbox for something a bit smoother through first and second gear.

For the diesel tuning crowd, I’m sure the 1VD makes way more sense, but I’m not in that crowd. If rebuilding an engine, sure, balance and blueprint it, but where I live, I need factory reliability. Give me the time tested strength, reliability and grunt of the 1HD-FT/FTE all day long.

Both of the H152’s are now assembled. Will be boxed up this weekend and head to DHL mid-week. Hoping to land in Idaho the week after.

A83E9AEC-2808-4269-A1A9-839F04AE6BC1.jpeg
43E2D693-9917-4104-BD40-2CB0B106BA09.jpeg

Alrighty, a little update on this build and the power train.

There has been a hold up with getting the exhaust manifold, turbo, ect-all bolted up for good.

GTurbo sent the new turbo with block off plates on the turbo housing where a cooling-coolant line should be. After inquiring with them, they say it can be ran either way no probs. Well, that’s all good except what do I do with the other end of these lines-hoses? Sure I could loop them or block them off but that’s not really what I am after here and I see nothing but good things running the coolant through the turbo.

So to acquire the hard line for the turbo. This one,

45442146-786D-491F-ACB1-EE4C74055162.jpeg

A little tough to track this one down. We do have the FTE turbo coolant pipe in hand but it is different than the FT, the GTurbo is FT flange. I actually need x4 if these! Getting them rounded up from all over the world, I just need one in hand to final mount the exhaust manifold and turbo on the FTE.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom