2017 Tundra TRD PRO to Replace 2010 LX-570? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had the Tundra TRD-PRO for 2 months now. I really like it! Only 1900 miles but headed to Colorado Springs tomorrow so I'll have another 800 or so by the end of the week. Replaced the stock tires last month after a snowstorm. We got another 2 ft of snow 3 days later and the KO2's made a huge difference. MPG is terrible but I've been driving a 100 for years so I'm used to it. 16 hwy/13 around town in 4wd. Absolutely love the 38 gal fuel tank living out here! Still miss the heated seats, auto climate control, auto headlights. Having said that my LC is just sitting, had to put a battery in it so I could plow snow two days ago and it was in the way. I do not regret buying the truck and have the reliability that was very important to me. It pulls a loaded trailer very well.

I can't say a thing when it comes to a TRD truck - I made the jump from 80's to a Tundra Rock Warrior (close to a TRD Pro, but not the full monte).

I do love the heck out of it so far, and towing my boat is 70%+ of me buying a Tundra w/ a 5.7 motor - the 6speed trans & the tow package are on my crewcab RW so it's as close to a Sequoia/200LC as you get with a tailgate.

The FZJ80 does it say ~55-60% decent, I'll guess the motor or a 100series will bump that 10-15% (and has IFS) - but the 5.7 / 6speed of a Sequoia/200-er LC/Tundra - is the current apex of towing a trailer with a 'Yota.

Can't say if it's a positive or negative the Sequoia has the IRS for the rear, intuition tells me IRS when towing is a negative, but I've never researched that nor do I know a darn thing about towing with anything that wasn't a solid rear axle.

My 4.5 FZJ's were hardly awesome at towing - both from wheelbase and torque, also because the brakes are '97 vintage attached to solid live axles I have lifted 2/3 of the 80's I had (J's, OME 2.5" Heavies, 4" Slee Heavies) - lifted solid axles with a 80 wheelbase & torque & brakes isn't worth towing a ~5000# setup where the Tundtra is in its' wheelhouse.

Even with 35" tires on stock powertrain (how it came to me) - it's got the nuts to tow & get you up & down from any hinky boat launch / sand trap we float a boat on WA rivers.

Last edited:
I have a 2011 Tundra 5.7 4x4, I'm at 144k miles and my only complaints are the 5.5' bed and 26.4 gallon gas tank. I've towed 8k+ pounds with it no problem and have gone off-roading in it without any serious issues (besides bending my cam tabs). I've never ridden in a pro but I've never seen a unhappy person driving one, I've got the Icon stage 1 suspension on mine with TC UCAs and it rides better than my wife's Tahoe and we fit our 3 kids in it easily. Great trucks that I recommend to everyone in the market for a half ton.

I have a 2011 Tundra 5.7 4x4, my only complaints........26.4 gallon gas tank. Great trucks for a half ton.

+1 on the gas tank. Real world I get ~13mpg no load / tow, and it's a major PITA.

I saw that one right off, luckily the aftermarket has a tank for those who want to drop $1200ish & get a ~45g tank.

I saw a post on Tundratalk that the tank grew for '17, but not positive if a fact or possible change speculated.

+1 on the gas tank. Real world I get ~13mpg no load / tow, and it's a major PITA.

I saw that one right off, luckily the aftermarket has a tank for those who want to drop $1200ish & get a ~45g tank.

I saw a post on Tundratalk that the tank grew for '17, but not positive if a fact or possible change speculated.

If you get a little crazy hair like me and install long tube headers the mpgs will go up a little, pre headers I was averaging about 14 highway, now I'm getting around 16 with 3.5/1.25 lift and 35s. The 16+ Tundras have a optional 38 gal tank, I'm curious if I can swap one into my truck...

The 16+ Tundras have a optional 38 gal tank, I'm curious if I can swap one into my truck...

Thx for tip on headers, might have to do just that (no tailpipe of visual tests here in my county)

Cool on tanks - it would near HAVE to fit if an option, esp if a ~25g lives in that spot w/o the option. Would be good to research on Tundratalk, maybe stalk that VictorG over there as he's the 'cruiserdan' of the Tundras, both in job & by how far he's taken his to date.

He's in Edmonton, Calgary (Alberta anyhow), parts guy/mech @ a dealer. He might know offhand.

Everything I've read over on Tundratalk says NO, they 38 gallon tank will not work on the 15' and older trucks. There were changes to cross members for the new tank. Then the cost of the parts were close to $2000 plus labor if it would fit with the tank and pump being right at $1400 themselves. The general consensus is to install the 46 gallon Transfer Flow tank as it's made to fit, it's bigger, and basically half the cost. The only bad part about the Transfer Flow tank is for those in CA where the tank isn't certified or legal. Then again the people that were looking into the stock tank weren't sure it would work with the emissions equipment and computers in the older trucks because of the way they were tested and stuff. Some of the guys looking into this were an employee at a Toyota dealership that was wanting to do it and he went with the Transfer Flow after some research. One other person looking into it and providing prices is a Toyota parts man for a dealer and Vendor on the forum and he's the one providing prices and info that the numbers and parts are all different. There were a couple of others too.

^^^^^ That's all I need to hear, sounds like 1-2hrs saved I'd have wasted over in TT.n just to find the same.
-- Thanks @1BiGGuy !

Hunh, I would have guessed they were a near P -n- P, but I'm no rocket surgeon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom