2017 Tundra TRD PRO to Replace 2010 LX-570? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so I have owned an 80 series LC, I still own a 100 series LC, and last year we purchased a 2010 LX-570 (200 series), so you should know that I like my Land Cruisers.

BUT....

I am finding that now, with the kids growing up (2 grown and 2 in HS) that I am NOT hauling kids like I used to. In fact, I am finding the the most usage for our LX is to haul our 6000 lb trailer out camping, as I use my 100 series for true off-roading.

This has contributed to my current pondering of whether or not I own the "correct" vehicle given its usage. That and intermittent electronics problems that are driving me and my wife nuts. I have test driven a 2013 and a 2014 Land Cruiser and they were nice, but less different enough to make me think that I would possibly not get enough of my return on investment to inspire me to dropping the amounts they wanted ($53K and 62K, respectively).

I have owned trucks in my past and miss the availability of the bed that comes with a truck. Plus, I do like the idea of owning something that is MORE than capable at hauling our travel trailer and do it well.

I like the TRD PRO because I still want my truck to be VERY capable IF I need it to be.... and I like the looks of that version best. BUT, I am not truly inspired by the truck (based upon looks and written specs only).

I put this out there to hear varying opinions within the truck community... Please tell me WHY you LOVE your Tundra and WHY this would be a good decision. You can tell me why you don't think it would be worth the money too, but I know I could get that in the 200 series forum, as well.

Thanks much for your time,

Jonathan

I owned a 2008 tundra - its my DD and toy hauler for LC 1996 my off-road rig ( although my LC is also drivable in hiway). I think its strong enough to pull the weight of the LC that is modified with front back armor with skids and sliders ,big tires.

Since its already paid for just this year, I modified the tundra with icon lift/ front, bilstein /back. Since the lift is done I was itching to try it off-road too. ( but I already have the LC right? ) But then I shared my dilemma installing my lift to one of tundra forum other than here- I quickly realized if I want to off-road this thing I need to put sliders/ skid plate, control arms etc...

from where I am even with modified Tundra I probably cant wheel it the way I want it considering the terrain that we have in the east , a lot of trees with tight turns ( I probably don't know a place yet). I wish I live in other states like CA, AZ, CO. they have a lot of places to offer.

the 2008 as we know does not come with rear lockers, no center diff. its got the skid control button. I tried wheeling it in Corolla beach NC stock - only thing I changed is tires=Goodyear duratrac. it did well on 4wd , I did not even aired down, I think im on 35sh psi

I like the look of the truck esp now its lifted, I can fit 4 adults in the back, haul things from home depo. Only thing I want to try is to sleep on the bed with air mattress - its got a camper shell / cap with screen windows.

you have the LC 200 now- that's where I heading once I'm done enjoying this truck. My dilemma is I want a capable truck like a land cruiser but at the same time I want to have a bed like the tundra has for hauling. Too many toys for the boys.

LOL! Sounds like we all have our own dilemmas!

Yeah, with me having my 100 series (I loved my 80 BTW, but my son now owns that one...) I have a platform for true off-roading. The Tundra should give me better towing capability and the ability to periodically haul stuff to the dump or, as you said, Home Depot. My 100 does that now, with the use of a friend's small utility trailer that I recently rebuilt, but then again... the trailer is not mine.

Sometimes I wonder if I am just "not satisfied" and need to just enjoy what I have, but then again, as the temps drop, my LX starts showing me electronic bugs that drive me crazy, which is the main reason I was looking at selling it anyways. I like the concept of the truck, but knowing that it will be a pain in parking spaces and will need to be my DD, since my youngest should be getting her driver's license sometime after the first of the year and will want to drive the 100 (Yeah, I have it on my to do list to buy something cheaper for her to drive ultimately, but for now, the 100 will be her DD.), I wonder if this is the "right" move. I do like the available 38 gallon fuel tank and the ability to place stuff in the back (hear whining dog in crate / gas for genny) when going camping... but I do love how the 200 series rides and how it drives in snow / slippery conditions.

More things to think about, I guess...

If I were to decide..., if I have the money and the parking space, Id go for buying a tundra or any car I want. even though I might loose some $$$ in the end I had a chance a drive them all . that way I have a solid reason which one to keep. I wish I am Jay Leno :)

I live in Maine have locked 80, had a 200 and now own a 1794 Tundra that I just recently put TRD Pro shocks onto.

Frequently I miss the200 for its pure rugged build and electronic crawl control. The Tundra only has The light duty TRAC system. I also miss the third row as I have three boys, with two of them still in car seats due to their size. With all three in the back seat of my Tundra they get a little to roudy. They seem to behave better when separated by a row.

I ended up switching as I could have a new vehicle with updated systems, warranty and I had a few issues that started to bug me on the LC. Also, for me the Tundra fits my 6'4" frame better. The difference is more the room for my legs sideways rather than leg room althogh e Tundra is bigger in both directions. And I figired for the same gas millage I might as well have the Larger Tundra.

Tell you what, for the dirt roads here I don't think you need anything other than Pro shocks. Although I have not tried other aftermarket stuff. The truck can haul ass and essentially cut in half the time t takes to go down a rough dirt road. The limiting factor are the trees.

One thing to consider is the Pro is a leveled stance. When you add the rated weight or a heavy tongue weight trailer it will have a squated appearance. You can add rake back in with shackles as I did but I am considering removing as the rake takes away some castor.

I have been trying to make the same call for a year.
I have a 100 for wheeling that I love. Its 18yrs old and having a couple issues here and there, just ordered window master switch assy, but very dependable.
Almost picked up a '15 200 a couple months ago and just couldn't see the light brightly enough.
Only vehicle I've kept longer than my 100 was a PU I had for almost 12 yrs. I've been looking at the Chev/GMC 1500 with the 6.2l as I REALLY like that motor but again just wasn't excited enough to buy. Looked at the Tundra as an after thought. 1794 interior was great but read about some issues with the suede inserts on the seats wearing poorly. So I went to the Platinum and didn't care for the interior. Wanted the Pro dual exhaust,etc,etc. To shorten a long story a bit I ordered a Tunrda Pro and pick it up on the 31ST. I have to say that I have yet to find anyone that doesn't love their Pro. If I'm the first then it should be pretty easy to sell.
I'm driving it from Salt Lake to home so I'll get 6+ uninterrupted hrs with it the first day. I don't plan on wheeling it as hard as I do the LC but we did get 15ft of snow last year and the Pro should handle that, my HD runs, semi-remote fishing spots, and the 6x12 trailer easily. The LC just doesn't like the trailer all loaded up.
I'll let you know what I think when I get it home.

Great response @Cleaver ! I look forward to hearing back after your trip! I'd like to hear what your thoughts are in parking lots too! That is one downside with any long wheelbase truck... parking.

"as the temps drop, my LX starts showing me electronic bugs that drive me crazy, which is the main reason I was looking at selling it anyways."

Just wondering what electrical problems you are seeing? How are they temp related? Thx

The electronic problems have been plaguing me since about 1 month from my original purchase, which was May of last year. These include the center diff. lock flashing, which then disables the 4-Hi to 4-Lo switching capability and the cruise control. Now the AC does not operate when I get this indication. I had it at the dealer for a week and they could not troubleshoot it.

I have also been having issues with the stereo scrolling through sources arbitrarily. So, I can either be sitting at a light or driving down the road and the stereo will change from Bluetooth to FM to SAT, or just straight to SAT. It always lands on SAT and stays there. Not sure why on this one.

Temp wise, it just seems to become more frequent in cooler temps, so I am expecting to see these more often, as Winter approaches. There are a few threads in the 200 section regarding these.

Very interesting problems you are having. My 2010 LX 570 has not exhibited these problems. I have all the service records from the previous owner (leased vehicle with all service and warranty work performed at Lexus) and there not a single mention of any electrical problems. Wonder if the root cause of your problems could be poor ground or other voltage related problem? Any history of water, accident damage to your vehicle? I do not pretend to be an expert on these vehicles, but my impression on this board is that these problems (in totality) seem unusual. (Cetner Diff light/malfunction is well known).

Temp would suggest an electrical component may be a potential source of your problems. But diagnosing electronics can be long dark hole (in which you through hard earned $$). Have you tried changing voltage regulators, battery, alternator (relatively easy stuff)?

Good luck on your journey with this vehicle and its replacement.

Yeah, I agree... a long dark hole! Yeah, the battery is new, but I haven't tried replacing any of the other components, as it is still under warranty.

As for history, I am the second owner and I have all of the maintenance history from the previous owner, as it was purchased and then traded in at the same local dealer where I purchased it. It looks like they were having intermittent issues too, as there are several entries that were just written off as not being able to duplicate - normal, which is what they told me when I took it in and they had it a week. I KNOW we were having problems then!

The bigger problem is that my wife has now experienced these oddball problems and has lost trust in the vehicle. Trying to regain that trust may be something that we can or cannot overcome. Thanks for the insight.

Jonathan

Check to see if there are any leaks onto the control modules or ECU. I had a leak on my ECU for my 89 pickup and it would kick my check engine light on and cause all sorts of running issues.

Well, if its any help, I too, bought an LC80 that was super nice and loaded etc.. Sold it and bought a 2005 Tundra TRD access cab because there is nothing like having a bed..

I think of the Gen 2 Tundras as lite LC200's. Much of the front suspension is the same (minus KDSS, Crawl Control, etc.) and obviously the motors are generally the same. If I bought a Tundra, I would stiffen up the rear end by boxing in the open C channel frame under the bed and add some gussets on the rear axle to the diff. Also, you can swap in the LC200 4x4 transfer case into the Tundra so that you have the same 4WD system (there is a thread about that on TundraTalk.net). I would find that setup more versatile than a 200. An 80, a 100, and a Tundra would a pretty cool complement of vehicles to own.

I have been trying to make the same call for a year.
I have a 100 for wheeling that I love. Its 18yrs old and having a couple issues here and there, just ordered window master switch assy, but very dependable.
Almost picked up a '15 200 a couple months ago and just couldn't see the light brightly enough.
Only vehicle I've kept longer than my 100 was a PU I had for almost 12 yrs. I've been looking at the Chev/GMC 1500 with the 6.2l as I REALLY like that motor but again just wasn't excited enough to buy. Looked at the Tundra as an after thought. 1794 interior was great but read about some issues with the suede inserts on the seats wearing poorly. So I went to the Platinum and didn't care for the interior. Wanted the Pro dual exhaust,etc,etc. To shorten a long story a bit I ordered a Tunrda Pro and pick it up on the 31ST. I have to say that I have yet to find anyone that doesn't love their Pro. If I'm the first then it should be pretty easy to sell.
I'm driving it from Salt Lake to home so I'll get 6+ uninterrupted hrs with it the first day. I don't plan on wheeling it as hard as I do the LC but we did get 15ft of snow last year and the Pro should handle that, my HD runs, semi-remote fishing spots, and the 6x12 trailer easily. The LC just doesn't like the trailer all loaded up.
I'll let you know what I think when I get it home.
I picked up my 2017 Tundra Pro 2 weeks ago Cement and love it. The creature comforts are not anything special compared to my F350 King ranch (no sun roof, heated seats , and King Ranch leather) but it drives nicer. I think you will be happy with your choice.

Picked up the Tundra Pro yesterday. Drove it from Salt Lake City to Ouray, Co. +/- 370miles. I will be as objective as possible but I like the truck and its new and I just spent some good money on it so I better like the thing! First thought: this is nothing like the cruiser, the cruiser is cushy the Tundra is a truck and feels like one. Jonathan, If your looking for a PU that is like the LC, I don't think you'll like the switch to the Tundra Pro. I love my LC and am excited about the Tundra; They are different animals is all.
Parking: Left the dealer for a cup of coffee to hit the road with, I'd been up since 3am to catch my flight. Made a complete ass of myself trying to park. 3 tries and I was kind of in the space. Totally my fault, been a while since I've driven a PU and came in at to close an angle to the space. Was fine for the following parking activities, just swung a little wide as I was coming in! Backing into a mall space to meet the wife was very easy. Probably will be my go to move when avail. All joking aside its really not that hard to park.
Power: Walked right up the passes east of SLC. Put it in Cruise Control to see how that handled the hills and it was perfect. No jumping back and forth trying to find a gear. Shifting is crazy smooth. I did not stomp on the gas as this is a new truck and I will break it in kindly.
Ride: A little stiff at first. The Tundra reminds me of the GMC 2500 I had for a couple years. Either I got used to it or it softened a little after a few hours. The seats are firm and it may take a bit to form to my butt. The suspension is also on the stiffer side. I've read it softens a bit after a few thousand miles. Was it the power of suggestion, the seat breaking in a bit, things settling a little? I don't know, I just know that I was noticing the stiffness much less by the time I got home.
Control: The steering is very assisted. No road feel at all. Truck goes where you point it quickly. I took some curves way over the posted speed to check roll. It rolls/sways a little in overspeed turns, all expected, never felt out of control but I wasn't trying to wreck it either.
Creature Comforts: Its fine but this is where the Tundra Pro falls way behind the LC. The 1794 is much more towards the LC spectrum. No sun/moonroof, no heated seats, No auto headlights, center console is a giant box. Lots more room up front than my LC100. I was comfortable but didn't get the pampered feel you have with the LC's.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Tundra Pro. Today it will be hauling tree branches and old siding. Tomorrow it will be helping us move into a new house. Something the LC is not really meant to do. If you want a truck, I think you'll really like the Tundra Pro. It looks damn good to boot. I'm happy with the money spent and will keep it for a while and see if it becomes my DD; right now its my Truck.

Hope this helps. Tried to be objective. Truth be told, I just looked out the window at my LC and my Tundra and they made me grin like I just saw my first......Bull Elk!

Enjoy your pro. I feel the pro shocks are really dialed in and get better offroad.

I have also been having issues with the stereo scrolling through sources arbitrarily. So, I can either be sitting at a light or driving down the road and the stereo will change from Bluetooth to FM to SAT, or just straight to SAT. It always lands on SAT and stays there. Not sure why on this one.

Temp wise, it just seems to become more frequent in cooler temps, so I am expecting to see these more often, as Winter approaches. There are a few threads in the 200 section regarding these.

So, it appears I am also experiencing this strange Audio source scrolling gremlin. Thank you for the heads up. Tried to search this problem on the forum, but not much luck. I'd really like to learn more about it.

Would appreciate any more updates from T-PRO drivers if there are any updates. Considering dumping my '15 Chevy High Country for a Pro or Platinum. The Chevy transmission is crap and I don't think it will go the long haul plus just experienced another stress inducing visit to my dealer. I have had such good luck with Toyota's that I am considering the Tundra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom