2017 200 LC Steering Wheel Leather issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, I know, first world problems, but this is my wife's LC and eventually mine. Its got roughly between 50-55k miles. The leather is coming apart in the lower left portion of the steering wheel and growing. I cant see where it was ever nicked or cut and it started small but now getting bigger and I can see it eventually peeling off of a larger area. Interior leather and trim is specifically excluded on the extended warranty. Any good way to fix it? I feel like something isn't right with the leather, I also cant say its because of something we did. I also think I'm SOL with getting Toyota to take care of it. I've got a 2015 Tundra that is abused and my steering wheel is just fine. Anyone had this happen or have any luck getting it fixed?

Steering_Wheel.jpg

I don’t know about fixing it, but some prevention may help to not make it worse. First, I know that some hand lotions can damage leather, somewhat counter-intuititively. So can jewelry in some circumstances. I would clean and condition the wheel regularly with something like ____________ fill in the blank. I use Lexol, but there are many brands. Now I need to get out to the garage and check my ‘17.

Pretty sure that could be refinished. I'd still check with the dealer to see if they can do anything based on good faith. If not, ask them who they go to for leather work (lexus dealer might be better to ask).

No advice on how to help, but my wife messed up a steering wheel once. All we can attribute it to is an abundance of lotion on her hands. She started putting on the lotion after she gets to work now.

It’s from Hand lotion

DOnt know about hand lotion but my 18 had spots on the leather of the wheel on the top portion. I think it was also a problem on the finish of the wheel.. replaced on goodwill as the car was barely 2 yrs old...

Hand sanitizer maybe?

I know, I know, first world problems, but this is my wife's LC and eventually mine. Its got roughly between 50-55k miles. The leather is coming apart in the lower left portion of the steering wheel and growing. I cant see where it was ever nicked or cut and it started small but now getting bigger and I can see it eventually peeling off of a larger area. Interior leather and trim is specifically excluded on the extended warranty. Any good way to fix it? I feel like something isn't right with the leather, I also cant say its because of something we did. I also think I'm SOL with getting Toyota to take care of it. I've got a 2015 Tundra that is abused and my steering wheel is just fine. Anyone had this happen or have any luck getting it fixed?

View attachment 2262685
Hell I have this on my 16 for years never asked dealership if they could fix. If not I'll probably try the Lexus dealership. Hate that I see it.

The leather on the 16+ wheels feels extremely cheap. Not surprised it’s peeling like it is.

The extreme use of hand sanitizer from the Chinavirus isn’t helping anything either.

The leather on the 16+ wheels feels extremely cheap. Not surprised it’s peeling like it is.

The extreme use of hand sanitizer from the Chinavirus isn’t helping anything either.
Mine started peeling before corona at about 30k have 60k now. If it's too expensive to fix at a dealer I'll probably just take it to a local upholstery shop they are cheaper and have all sorts of leather swatches to match.

Mine started peeling before corona at about 30k have 60k now. If it's too expensive to fix at a dealer I'll probably just take it to a local upholstery shop they are cheaper and have all sorts of leather swatches to match.
If you bought the interior protection thing Toyota offers when you buy a car from them. They should fix it under that

Woolite in water will help keep clean and not harm leather and might be something you already have around the house. I keep spray bottle of it made up and that is what I clean all the interior plastic and leather with. I used Home to redo the leather steering wheel for my T100. It takes about 1 to 2 weeks with shipping but better than new when get it back.

Have it on my 17. 2x1 inch. Warranty over. Don't use lotion. Dealership said it is common issue. They only option they offered was replacement steering wheel.

Under warranty or at a cost?
Would be curious if this is covered since it’s a wear and tear item and does not affect functionality. The leather on the 16+ wheels feels terrible IMO. Almost feels brittle and cheap.

Under warranty or at a cost?
At cost. Asking $700. Experience is it progressively worsens. From a dot to 2x1 inch in 2 months or so, and there is another area beginning. Bit annoying for an $80k vehicle. Main issue however is the leather underneath the top layer is quite slippy. The astetic is ignorable but as it gets bigger it will be an issue. Would be shame to dent it because the wheel slipped in your hand. Going to have to change it or work out to get it more tacky

At cost. Asking $700. Experience is it progressively worsens. From a dot to 2x1 inch in 2 months or so, and there is another area beginning. Bit annoying for an $80k vehicle. Main issue however is the leather underneath the top layer is quite slippy. The astetic is ignorable but as it gets bigger it will be an issue. Would be shame to dent it because the wheel slipped in your hand. Going to have to change it or work out to get it more tacky
Would a reupholster be able to redo the leather part at lower cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom