2016+ LX570 Carplay Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From all my ongoing shopping, im leaning naviks.
But it seams they all use aux override for audio.

I dont like my fully digital path being weakest linked to a unidentifiable DAC.
And then over 2 pole TRS at that. Im using apple music high res lossless, there is still loss over bluetooth, but the conversion is in the ML system If im not mistaken.
The audio is an area im still learning, but i believe its a digital path to the ML.

Driveway king @grinchy , what say you?
I took a peek at the 2016 and 2018 LX FSM. Looks like this generation (or at least those years), have gone to the MOST network based protocol, similar to the JBL system used in the TLC. This is generally bad news for getting access to the source signals for aftermarket amplification or source replacement. I haven't found any aftermarket MOST decoders for the Toyota version (there are some GM, or audi or whatnot).

So what does that mean? That you're stuck with high level signals post amplifier if you want to augment the amplified side, and you're stuck with whatever front end 'aux' or 'cd changer' or 'sat' type input hacking that the HU allows in it's native function set.

I would think the dream of a pure digital signal thru to amplification would be difficult.

The gen 1 and gen 2 ML systems had line level 2 ch and digital coax (5.1 at least) available at the back of the HU or under the seat at the amplifier location. Pretty aftermarket friendly.

Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 12.21.04 PM.png

I took a peek at the 2016 and 2018 LX FSM. Looks like this generation (or at least those years), have gone to the MOST network based protocol, similar to the JBL system used in the TLC. This is generally bad news for getting access to the source signals for aftermarket amplification or source replacement. I haven't found any aftermarket MOST decoders for the Toyota version (there are some GM, or audi or whatnot).

So what does that mean? That you're stuck with high level signals post amplifier if you want to augment the amplified side, and you're stuck with whatever front end 'aux' or 'cd changer' or 'sat' type input hacking that the HU allows in it's native function set.

I would think the dream of a pure digital signal thru to amplification would be difficult.

The gen 1 and gen 2 ML systems had line level 2 ch and digital coax (5.1 at least) available at the back of the HU or under the seat at the amplifier location. Pretty aftermarket friendly.

View attachment 3173674

Thanks for doing that and looking it up. I guess my hunch was right.

It all goes back to what chip the decode circuit is using in the “CarPlay box” to make the faux aux lol. probably sabre if we’re lucky. Regardless they are not likely producing a proper line level static vrms but a have instead locked gain at some appropriate value between noise floor and dynamic range. Can’t be sure how apple transmits CarPlay but I’m pretty certain it’s not attenuating digitally in the phone or box.

I also bet there is no hdmi breakout or available decoupled audio source to use since these basically work as a dvd in motion hijack. This is probably also the only way to inhibit latency. The analog output path can be timed. And from the ML is not being further processed between the speaker.

This all makes me want to get the $250 Ali papa over a $1000 rebrand.
I will call these companies though and ask.

Haven’t been in the audio world for a long time but I don’t have normal ears or ever will again. I’ve been too spoiled to do without a black backdrop, I hear dithering even.

For anyone still interested, i was right about some stuff. But they missed some big ones, like how it differs from the competitor…
Or if the output has gain control. I wont tolerate any hiss at all.

1670080668373.png

Anyone want me to ask anything else in the follow up.

More dodgy "answers". This time from the beat-sonic camp:

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 12.05.57 PM.png

I feel bad paying nearly a grand for something i know more about than the people selling it.

Update:
lvds is literally irrelevant and thats technically incorrect.
But anyway…

864519C8-2688-473D-B67A-89D1BE2324E4.jpeg

36F98F6D-A7DD-4CFE-9C8B-B2C6A9901719.jpeg

aka i have no idea what you’re talking about, but please buy!

okay then, definitely not buying.
I'm going naviks or alibaba and saving my money.

How are you superior to the other products and you use the same exact gear which you have no details on?

Has anyone installed or looked into the Belsee unit for 2016+ LX’s? Description says it’s a touchscreen so could eliminate some of the joystick issues (and having to use it at all):

I saw a similar touch screen replacement on aliexpress and I was really curious about it but didn't want to be a guinea pig for a $1000 that might not work right.

I hope someone is braver than me and tries it!

Did anyone ever figure out the joystick issues you were having? Having an installer do this right now, joystick no dead but doesn't "click" like it did. He said its really hard to control.

I’m looking for any real-world experience with the mainline brands (Naviks, Grom, Beatsonic, anyone else?) available here in America. I did purchase and install one of the Alibaba units linked from above about 8 months ago and it’s been a miserable experience.

Installation of the Alibaba unit was simple enough and I have no fear of taking apart the dash to get it installed. Like many have described, I placed the unit beneath the carpet, vertically, in the front passenger compartment. There are several videos available for the installation. Few, if any, show the actual operation of these units on the LX where one can witness the interactions.

Here are my issues with the Alibaba unit:

1. Every few weeks it just forgets the bluetooth connection. No real pattern to how or why but the unit no longer shows my phone as a connection option, and my phone says it cannot connect to the CarPlay device. The only remedy is to do a BT reset on the CarPlay unit and initiate a new connection.
2. Obviously the most glaring issue is the usability with the center joystick in the LX. I found a video that suggested changing the sensitivity of the joystick and that showed a slight improvement. Nevertheless it is very difficult to control.
3. My unit does not respond at all to the steering wheel controls (next track/previous track.) The vendor has been no help in trying to resolve this. They just say, “send us a video.” Send a video of me clicking a button and seeing no response. Either I have a bad unit or that function is just not supported.

I will say that I found the sound quality that went through the unit to be better than directly connecting the phone source via USB or BT. From both Apple Music and SiriusXM.

So I’m ready to remove the unit, but I still want CarPlay and I am willing to buy a unit that works. So back to my original question, Does anyone have any real world experience with the known brands that can offer advice or even better, video testimony? Are any in the “no compromises” category?

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks everyone for posting their experience in this thread very helpful.

We are just placing an iPad in front of it until things improve.

For you guys in this thread. I just did the install on our 2017 LX with the cheapest unit I could find, got it on Amazon for $289 shipped. Turned out to work pretty well. The only complaint I have is that i don’t have a touchscreen and have to use the joystick. But overall it was worth the headache of trying to figure it out on my own. And I would guess that none of the beatsonic/naviks/grom units would be any better than this. At 1/2 or 1/3 the cost of those other units, in pretty happy with the setup.

Did a fully detailed install thread here and just posted the update last night. Cheapest Carplay and AndroidAuto Retrofit under $300? 2016+ LX570 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/carplay-and-androidauto-retrofit-under-300-2016-lx570.1317115/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom