2016+ LX570 Carplay Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my 2016 lx570 right before Covid 19 and today I just finished doing the carplay upgrade on it. I did some researches and find a couple of solutions before I pull the trigger and want to share my experience with you guys so you know what to pick if you want to upgrade LX's info system.
1. OEM Screen Projection
So our car has device projection function which can go thru Aux port and basically what you have to do is transfer your phone's charging port to HDMI and then use a device to transfer hdmi to three color rga cable and then from three color rga cable to single aux cable. This function is OEM but there is one limitation which is when vehicle is in motion, you can only hear sounds instead of seeing the videos. Beat sonic has a DVD/NAV bypass solution that you can use to see videos when vehicle in motion. Beatsonic also has the phone mirror kit which I think is just a combo of nav bypass and video port convertor. The good thing is that you can use it with any devices but there is also disadvantage that since it is screen mirroring, you have to keep your phone screen on all the time and locking you phone will freeze it.
2. Beatsonic Carplay Upgrade
Right now it is about 600 bucks and it provides you upgrade to capability with Carplay and Android Auto. They provide great installation tutorials and provide customer support since they are based US. Going thru the installation takes around 3 hours. The only reason why I did not pick it is that their carplay projects apps with a 4x2 grids which makes the whole thing looks distorted because I feel the interface was designed for a smaller interface like IS and they just stretch it horizontally.
maxresdefault.jpg

3. Grom Vline 2
Grom vline2 gives an upgrade more than Carplay and Andriod Auto because the console itself is an android based system so you are putting an android tablet into your car and let it project to your car screen. Right now it is priced between 550-600 bucks and they have certified dealer that help you install it in case you don't have anytime to DIY and the labor is around 250 bucks. You can directly use any apps like google maps, waze instead of connecting your phone to it as long as it has internet connection. With an android system, Carplay and Android Auto can be added to it easily. The reason why I prefer beat sonic over grom vline is that it is an android system and as my experience with android phones, all of them get super slow after one year even if you are having the legacy andriod phone for that year like Samsung S20 so I am just afraid that this console will become super slow in the future and it will be much more pain to use it. But if you have experience with grom vline after using it with a period of time, please correct me if I am wrong.
4. Unbranded Carplay Console from Aliexpress
I end up getting some unbranded carplay console from aliexpress and it is around 300 bucks. I think it is self developed system and it has more function than beat sonic which includes wireless and wire carplay, wireless and wire andriod auto, iPhone airplay (iPhone wireless mirroring function), USB video play but has less than Grom Vline since it is not andriod system. It displays carplay apps with a 5x2 grids and the resolution looks much better than beat sonic. The bad thing is that their technician has no idea on how to install it and the customer support is none when you have trouble to install it. But after two day's try and with the reference of beatsonic video on youtube, I am able to install it successfully and have it run smoothly. It supports our 360 surround camera when in back up mode but it does not support the auto surround-view camera when the vehicle is in slow speed.
WeChat Image_20200514232430.jpg

WeChat Image_20200514231956.png

WeChat Image_20200514231854.jpg

In conclusion, I would say that if you have enough time to work on your car and love exploring new things, you can get the unbranded console from aliexpress and DIY but don't expect any helpful customer support during installation. If you want to save your time and have a fully supported customer service, I would recommend you buying beatsonic or grom vline even though their prices are higher but it is worth it.
I will also keep updating in future how everything goes whether the system can run smoothly after a period of time and any bugs or glithes it has.

Good summary. I tend to diy stuff so always interested in seeing how the pieces go together.

Too bad these carplay kits aren't for the gen 1 models.

Got my 2016 lx570 right before Covid 19 and today I just finished doing the carplay upgrade on it. I did some researches and find a couple of solutions before I pull the trigger and want to share my experience with you guys so you know what to pick if you want to upgrade LX's info system.
1. OEM Screen Projection
So our car has device projection function which can go thru Aux port and basically what you have to do is transfer your phone's charging port to HDMI and then use a device to transfer hdmi to three color rga cable and then from three color rga cable to single aux cable. This function is OEM but there is one limitation which is when vehicle is in motion, you can only hear sounds instead of seeing the videos. Beat sonic has a DVD/NAV bypass solution that you can use to see videos when vehicle in motion. Beatsonic also has the phone mirror kit which I think is just a combo of nav bypass and video port convertor. The good thing is that you can use it with any devices but there is also disadvantage that since it is screen mirroring, you have to keep your phone screen on all the time and locking you phone will freeze it.
2. Beatsonic Carplay Upgrade
Right now it is about 600 bucks and it provides you upgrade to capability with Carplay and Android Auto. They provide great installation tutorials and provide customer support since they are based US. Going thru the installation takes around 3 hours. The only reason why I did not pick it is that their carplay projects apps with a 4x2 grids which makes the whole thing looks distorted because I feel the interface was designed for a smaller interface like IS and they just stretch it horizontally.
View attachment 2307504
3. Grom Vline 2
Grom vline2 gives an upgrade more than Carplay and Andriod Auto because the console itself is an android based system so you are putting an android tablet into your car and let it project to your car screen. Right now it is priced between 550-600 bucks and they have certified dealer that help you install it in case you don't have anytime to DIY and the labor is around 250 bucks. You can directly use any apps like google maps, waze instead of connecting your phone to it as long as it has internet connection. With an android system, Carplay and Android Auto can be added to it easily. The reason why I prefer beat sonic over grom vline is that it is an android system and as my experience with android phones, all of them get super slow after one year even if you are having the legacy andriod phone for that year like Samsung S20 so I am just afraid that this console will become super slow in the future and it will be much more pain to use it. But if you have experience with grom vline after using it with a period of time, please correct me if I am wrong.
4. Unbranded Carplay Console from Aliexpress
I end up getting some unbranded carplay console from aliexpress and it is around 300 bucks. I think it is self developed system and it has more function than beat sonic which includes wireless and wire carplay, wireless and wire andriod auto, iPhone airplay (iPhone wireless mirroring function), USB video play but has less than Grom Vline since it is not andriod system. It displays carplay apps with a 5x2 grids and the resolution looks much better than beat sonic. The bad thing is that their technician has no idea on how to install it and the customer support is none when you have trouble to install it. But after two day's try and with the reference of beatsonic video on youtube, I am able to install it successfully and have it run smoothly. It supports our 360 surround camera when in back up mode but it does not support the auto surround-view camera when the vehicle is in slow speed.
View attachment 2307506
View attachment 2307507
View attachment 2307508
In conclusion, I would say that if you have enough time to work on your car and love exploring new things, you can get the unbranded console from aliexpress and DIY but don't expect any helpful customer support during installation. If you want to save your time and have a fully supported customer service, I would recommend you buying beatsonic or grom vline even though their prices are higher but it is worth it.
I will also keep updating in future how everything goes whether the system can run smoothly after a period of time and any bugs or glithes it has.

Can you post a link to the unit you installed. There seem to be a lot of options at Aliexpress.

Can you post a link to the unit you installed. There seem to be a lot of options at Aliexpress.
I found that even though there are a lot of vendors on aliexpress, most of them come from same company. I can pm you the one that I brought from but it is also possible to get from other vendor the same console with less price.

I added one of the unbranded AliExpress units last night. Agree with everything on these units in the review above except that I was pleasantly surprised to receive fairly decent connection instructions from my seller upon asking for them. Beatsonic videos were very helpful for disassembly of the dash. I didn’t find it necessary to remove the glove box. I did take off the covers down there to get better access to the carpet and center stack but was happy not to have to deal with the air bag beneath the glove box. Total install time with testing and reassembly was about 2-2.5 hours and I was going slowly to avoid damaging anything.

Here is the video I found most helpful. I watched it twice before pulling things. The inside comes apart easily and the hardest part of the install was dealing with the wires in limited space. Tip - I found there is some extra room behind the ignition button where you can stack the excess wires.

I haven’t had much time to play around with everything, but the unit seems to operate well (if not a bit clunky due to the joystick). The wireless CarPlay works so well that didn’t even bother running the usb cable. I just stashed the box where it’s fairly easy to get to if I change my mind later.

No interference with my reverse or 360 cameras, including in slow speed mode (as it seems was an issue earlier), and you can set the CarPlay box to use your factory Bluetooth for calls which seems to provide marginally better sound than the phone over wireless CarPlay.

This is the box I bought. As indicated above, I suspect there are many resellers with the same unit:

US $265.68 28% Off | 2020 China Manufacturer Car Multimedia CarPlay Systems Camera Video Interface for Lexus LX570 In-Dash OEM Display

Last edited:
After a month of living with the AliExpress unit, I’m still very happy with it overall, but I have come across what may be my first issue. When you put the display into service mode (by holding the menu button and turning lights on/off three times) the display goes to black after a second or two and as a result you can’t access those menus. I have reached out to the seller to see if there is a fix. Another minor annoyance is that after the low speed camera shuts off, the display flashes the unit’s screen for a second before going back to whatever it was before the cameras turned on. Not a big deal but makes it feel aftermarket (whereas at other times it feels close to factory). There may be a setting somewhere to deal with this latter “issue” that I haven’t found yet.

I’m starting to get confused with the offerings. That last touch replacement screen aside can y’all confirm which unit has full auto pass through of all functions and CarPlay which is not scaled and in the correct output aspect and of high resolution?

I guess between grom, beat-sonic and naviks.

Can't speak to the "name brands". The aliexpress carplay unit I bought (linked in post 5) works well and displays the proper aspect ratio. After some fiddling with the settings, I was able to get the two wrinkles ironed out and I have been very happy with it. It functions and looks just like the Naviks unit linked above although I never hooked up the usb or hdmi inputs because everything works well wirelessly. At <$300, I think it's hard to beat.

Just here to report back on the NAVIKS kit install on the 2020 LX570. Kit came with very professional plug and play wire looms with very well marked tags and diagram how to connect. KIT COST was $675. No trim disassembly instructions were include so by following the beatsonic install video people mention for the dash disassembly, I took my time and surprising how easy it was to disassemble. I do highly recommend some cheap plastic pry tools from harbor freight or local auto store as this prevented damage and made it a lot easier to get the piece initially started for separation as the tools has nice razor thin edge to get the pry start. The NAVIKS kit is plug and play and didn't require any adjustments to settings or dip switches. I hooked it up and tested for Android and Apple devices before fully reassembling trim. All options worked, Wireless Wifi connection, Bluetooth and USB. The only quirky thing was we have the mouse button type, and navigating menus was sensitive and can be little tricky to get a selection highlighted. The hardest part was getting the bigger connector loom tucked to the side for the lower can radio unit to go back in all the way. I found the best place to have the NAVIKS controller was to store in the passenger side all the way to the front firewall and just inside the left kick panel between the carpet and the vertical unibody. There a big piece of thick insulation glued on the backside this floor carpet so I ripped off some of it to make room for the unit. Tucks away nice and should be able to access easy later if necessary. The stick on RF antenna that came with the kit, I stuck onto the top of the can radio unit just behind the top edge wear it starts to recess and is bare metal. Would say the only other thing to be aware of is the NAVIKS does not change the output of audio for you when you connect meaning if you connect Bluetooth and your Lexus factory unit is set to Satelite, you will not hear the sound/music coming from the NAVIKS. So Lexus factory unit would need to be set to blue tooth first and then engage the car play/android play. For the USB connection, pick AUX on lexus factory unit menu as the output.

I ultimately went with the NAVIKS because they offer full online/phone support and the kit comes ready to install. And the NAVIKS was the only product page I could confirm the 3 connection methods and a return policy and RMA department if I needed more assistance.

@Lawdogic I can confirm your link to Aliexpress looks very similar but the unit and wire looms are different in the AliExpress pictures. The limited product details and description is why I didn't go for the cheaper option. I probably paid for the middle man support from a company, but was worth it to me when doing this for a 90k SUV.

Here’s another option that looks interesting - replaces the whole screen and gives you touchscreen functionality. No idea how well this functions but looks interesting.

Im interested in this it looks like it gives you a touch screen interface which would be a huge improvement over the stupid joystick. Has anyone here in the US tried this thing out? Not sure if I want to be a guinea pig...

And for those that did the other naviks or generic aliexpress carplay boxes, how is the audio quality? I added one of these carplay units to my Porsche 911 and the bluetooth audio through carplay is definitely slightly worse than the built in bluetooth or aux.
Especially concerned since we paid extra for the Mark Levinson speakers I would hate for it to sound like s*** now.

And whoever said you were able to make it default to use the built in car microphone for calls/siri how did you do that?
And how did you work around the glitch with the auto 360 degree camera? It smoothly switches back and forth now?

thanks!

Oh also how is the responsiveness of these units? The video of the Naviks unit looked a bit laggy...is the aliexpress one any better?

Sorry haven't tried playing full motion video yet on my Naviks unit. The mouse stick is a challenge to highlight the options. Wife just uses the SIRI most of the time to interact with carplay. Seems to be a bug for incoming calls. Need to play with the settings. I will try do a quick review video for you all on the naviks this weekend.

Hey - New here... 2018 LX 570.

I joined specifically so I could learn more about the Android/Apple interface. I bought the Crux version on Crutchfield...took the entire freaking dash apart only to find that the Aux cable gives off an obvious and consistent buzzing sound. Returning the item with the dash still torn apart like an open heart surgery patient.

1) Any issues noted with the sound quality on the other models in this thread?
2) Anyone tried with Android and not Apple? It seems most of you leaned towards Apple functionality.
3) Anyone else tried any of the "name brand" (eg Beat-Sonic) versions? I'm usually not one to gamble on the effort of installing an Aliexpress item.

Thanks in advance

Hey - New here... 2018 LX 570.

I joined specifically so I could learn more about the Android/Apple interface. I bought the Crux version on Crutchfield...took the entire freaking dash apart only to find that the Aux cable gives off an obvious and consistent buzzing sound. Returning the item with the dash still torn apart like an open heart surgery patient.

1) Any issues noted with the sound quality on the other models in this thread?
2) Anyone tried with Android and not Apple? It seems most of you leaned towards Apple functionality.
3) Anyone else tried any of the "name brand" (eg Beat-Sonic) versions? I'm usually not one to gamble on the effort of installing an Aliexpress item.

Thanks in advance
Sounds like a grounding issue. Did you take a picture of your install? What ground did you use?

No close-up pics of the install yet. It's still taken apart due to not putting in the time during the workweek.

What exactly do you mean by grounding? It's a "plug and play" sort of system with harnesses that swap out (or daisy chain), and some input/output wires that go into black boxes.

The buzz starts/stops when I disconnect/connect the Aux cord from the box which also connects the HDMI and microphone.

PXL_20220203_002649333.jpg

I mean that the new ‘box ‘ is likely not grounding correctly, or has tried to use a shield ground from the factory system (which is at a different potential). I got a buzz like this when I put a shield ground to ‘real’ ground in my Lx. Is there any metal you can find on the outside of the new box? Or is there a pin on the schematic labeled ground? Try to jumper a ground to the new box and see if your buzz goes away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom