Builds 2014 GX460 Incoming Baby Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I probably would't be in a mad rush to fix the tube seals for spark plugs. That is not something that is to go catastrophic.

Didn't expect to spend my Friday off replacing the passenger side emergency brake, but life happens. I was driving down the road and noticed a faint whine coming from the rear of the car. It was only really audible with the window down. Jacked it up and applied the emergency brake to test if the wheels would spin. Spin they did. I attached a picture of everything that fell out like a pinata when I took the rotor off. Need a couple parts from Lexus, but got most of it back together with a hardware kit from Autozone.

MVIMG_20200807_112129.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: r2m
I just used the Toyota WS for AT on 4 drain and fills. I'll change the filter at 100k miles (currently at 65k on my '12).

I also added a AT cooler. Have you thought about that?

Here are OEM AT service area PNs.

[Automatic Transmission]
PN: 90301-15004 / Fill plug O-ring
PN: 35178-30010 / AT pan drain plug washer
PN: 35178-30010 / AT pan fluid level check plug washer
PN: 00289ATFWS / ATF Fluid
PN: 9034110011 / AT Pan drain plug
PN: 9034110021 / AT Fluid Level Check Valve
PN: 3533060060 / AT Filter
PN: 35106-35170 / AT Pan
PN: 35168-60010 / AT Pan gasket

Decided to do a trans cooler at the same time at the same time as the transmission fluid replacement based on your recommendation. Should be a couple weeks before everything gets here.

Got the RSG Sliders this weekend. There were dead on with their lead time estimate of 5 weeks. Powder coat looks great and no shipping damage. Installation took me a while, but overall it was straight forward. Hardest part was getting the lines right for cutting the plastic molding. I ended up using an angle grinder for the rough cut and then finishing using an orbital sander with 150 grit paper. Any one have suggestions for replacing the running board lights?

MVIMG_20200823_154211.jpg

That's a pretty big gap behind the front tire before the slider. I can't tell if its the angle of the picture, otherwise I'd be worried about coming off a rock and catching the body.

Got the RSG Sliders this weekend. There were dead on with their lead time estimate of 5 weeks. Powder coat looks great and no shipping damage. Installation took me a while, but overall it was straight forward. Hardest part was getting the lines right for cutting the plastic molding. I ended up using an angle grinder for the rough cut and then finishing using an orbital sander with 150 grit paper. Any one have suggestions for replacing the running board lights?

View attachment 2414293

I used Amazon LED rock/puddle lights mounted to some flat aluminum stock and bolted to the stock running board holes.

That's a pretty big gap behind the front tire before the slider. I can't tell if its the angle of the picture, otherwise I'd be worried about coming off a rock and catching the body.

I have the same sliders but angled up 20*. The gap up front is certainly larger than some would care for but the odds of something getting in there and doing serious damage with a lift and larger tires is slim in my experience, but it's certainly possible.

Lots done to the truck over the last few weeks. After installing the sliders, I installed an Ironman Foam Cell Pro Suspension with the Ironman UCAs. This included a coil over conversion. I was really torn between the Dobinson IMS setup and Ironman FCPs, but availability tipped the scale to Ironman. It took me a couple days to get the suspension all figured out but everything is installed now. Currently working thorough some issues with the headlights and ride height sensors, but the suspension performed awesome during my shakedown trail ride at a local canyon. Amazingly comfortable and quiet. So impressed with the GX460 capabilities and can't wait to take it out for a longer trip once I get some real tires.

I also installed the Multi Terrain Select. Shockingly easy and straightforward as long as you have some plastic trim tools. Took about 30 minutes to remove and install. Still waiting for my crawl control switch from OEM Vehicle Parts that is going on 1.5 months. "It is in the mail" so hopefully it will be here soon.

Added rock lights today to the old side step locations following the method that Tex used. Fabricated some 6" brackets out of 1/8 x 1.5" aluminum flat bar stock. I used the old harness and just wired up the Amazon LED lights.

Armor and tires are up next. Thinking Victory for the skids. I am all over the place on tires...

Great looking build! Any updates?

There are some updates actually. Here they are:

1) Rad rubber splash covers in the wheel well due to the old/original being degraded over time. Seems like a great product.

2) Per Acrad's recommendation, I had a transmission cooler installed at the same time as the transmission fluid change. The parts list over at Club Lexus is spot on. If anyone is in the Phoenix area, highly recommend a small shop in Apache Junction called LexTech. He is a former master tech from Superstition Springs Lexus and knows his stuff. Everything with him is by the book which I appreciate. He is also extremely reasonable on price. The mechanic noted that it still drives great even with the Ironman FCP 2.5" lift so I take that as a serious vote of confidence. We will see if it maintains the road manner when I get larger tires.

3) Bought a fridge during the recent Amazon sale. Bought the ICECO JP50 Portable Refrigerator Fridge Freezer. I am now planning on running wiring to the rear from the battery to have a closer outlet. My research has led me to the following:
  • Fuse off the battery
  • 8 gauge wire from the battery through the firewall and along the door sill to the trunk area
  • Another fuse at the point of power distribution
  • BlueSea 4366 for the distribution
1603329595190.png

Anyone have experience with the JW Offroad Tire carries which mounts on the rear door? Very enticing.

Have not had much time to work on the truck with the new baby. I finally got out and installed a new 12V socket for the fridge in the trunk area. I ran an 8 gauge wire directly from the battery and then grounded to the body on a stud in the jack area on the driver side of the car.

I also installed quick charge usb outlets in the rear for passengers right under the climate panel. At the same time I installed quick charge usb ports in the glove compartment for the driver and passenger. If anyone else is going to install using the cut out in the glove compartment, make sure you get the right sized usb. Fairly easy with an add a fuse.

PXL_20210102_233610861.MP.jpg

1609637367991.png

1609637477613.png

What's that about great minds?...
Same place I put mine! Great location, I use it all the time, especially with my fridges.

Love it! Where did you end up grounding to? I am not in love with my solution of sanding around the only stud that I could find. Can you post a picture?
I have a massive 3000 watt pure sine inverter in the back also, so I ran 1/0 AWG wire (about the diameter of your pinky finger) of both positive and negative to my batteries up front. I ran the wire up and above my sliders so they were tucked up and way from any possible trouble I get myself into.
Then I just tapped into the + and - of that fat 'ol wire for my auxiliary power ports (USB and 12 VDC socket).
You can get a better blog on my build thread here: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r2m-2013-gx460-overland-build.1104719/page-2
starting at post #28 for the wiring of the inverter and then starting on post # 40 I discuss adding the power ports.
Hope this helps! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom