2013 LC Audio Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you think it is worth it to just replace the speakers and power them using the factory amp? I'm inclined to just replace the front speakers and see if I can get better sound definition. I'm intrigued at the idea of no modification and easy swap.
It would likely sound better though not necessarily amazing. You’ll likely have limited options as I think the factory speakers are 3 ohms

Swapped out all 13 factory speakers

- 1 JBL 421F Going into Center Dash. They are 30 RMS and 91 Sensitivity 3 ohm.

- 2 Alpine S-S40 didn’t fit into the Dash Corners so I put some Infinity Reference 3032cfx
with 25 RMS and 92 Sensitivity 3 ohm.

- 4 Alpine S-S65c going into Front Door components 6x9 and front pillar tweeters. They are 80 RMS and 88 Sensitivity. 4 ohms

- 4 Pioneer TS-A1300c going into Rear Door Components. They are 50 RMS and 88 sensitivity. 4 ohms

- 2 Infinity Reference 4032cfx going into the tail gate. They are 35 RMS and 93 sensitivity.

Highs, mids, all running off the factory OEM JBL 605 watt amp.

Sounds amazing.

View attachment 2982786

View attachment 2982787
Any issues with your factory amp at all? Any volume issues with the 4 ohm speakers? I really want to change out the speakers in my 2011…normally I would go with the same brand, but I am assuming you didn’t bc of fitment?

Speakers are a lot clearer and sound great.

I listen to podcast and radio at level 15.

If I want to shake the neighborhood. 25-30 on the knob lol
So I bought some JBL 2.3 ohm (GX600C 6.5” components) for my fronts. They have an external crossover. Does the amp in the LC200 send out separate channels for the 6x9s and the door tweeters or does it send out the signal to a small crossover which then goes to the 6x9 and the tweeter? Trying to figure out how to hook them up before they get here. Wondering if I should run the speaker wires going to the 6x9 to the new Crossover and then run speaker wires to the new 6.5 and tweeter.

So I bought some JBL 2.3 ohm (GX600C 6.5” components) for my fronts. They have an external crossover. Does the amp in the LC200 send out separate channels for the 6x9s and the door tweeters or does it send out the signal to a small crossover which then goes to the 6x9 and the tweeter? Trying to figure out how to hook them up before they get here. Wondering if I should run the speaker wires going to the 6x9 to the new Crossover and then run speaker wires to the new 6.5 and tweeter.
I didn’t do the install. I got a shop to do it for me. I just brought them the equipment.

The 6x9 in the front only do mid bass. The tweeter does Highs and voices.

I'm double posting here. I went to look for that other thread with the diagram and saw you posted there as well.

Based on the drawing from the FSM. It looks like the front 6x9s are on their own channel off the amp that is most likely not full range (Front No.1 Speaker) labeled as WFR. And then there is a single channel for the dash (Front No.2 Speaker) and A pillar speakers (Front No.3 Speaker). The crossover is probably just a single capacitor to block lower frequencies from the tweeter, I'd say it's 50/50 whether that signal is full range or not.

If I were attempting this, I'd probably go for the Hail Mary and not use the JBL crossover that came with the new speakers and plug the drivers directly into the places you are mounting them.

I returned the JBL GX402s or whatever that I bought for the dash. The tweeters on them had a super harsh rattle to them in the dash. I bought some JBL GX600C speakers for the front doors. Took a while to fab everything up, etc…..same harsh rattle in the tweeters. I took them out and put the stock speakers back in….no harshness from the tweeters. the factory speakers measured at 1.6ohm and the JBLs measured at 2.3 ohm. No idea what is going on, but I am done experimenting.

I returned the JBL GX402s or whatever that I bought for the dash. The tweeters on them had a super harsh rattle to them in the dash. I bought some JBL GX600C speakers for the front doors. Took a while to fab everything up, etc…..same harsh rattle in the tweeters. I took them out and put the stock speakers back in….no harshness from the tweeters. the factory speakers measured at 1.6ohm and the JBLs measured at 2.3 ohm. No idea what is going on, but I am done experimenting.
keep in mind that measuring speaker resistance with no load in them is meaningless. Speaker impedance varies a LOT over the dynamic range, and you have to DRIVE them hard to get a real reading. Your speakers reading 2.3ohms idle may be 4-8 ohms over much of the dynamic range. It as high as 40 or 50 ohms at certain frequencies. In short you can’t really measure ohms easily, so ask the manufacturer what they are rated at, I’m guessing somewhere 4 to 8 ohms stable

keep in mind that measuring speaker resistance with no load in them is meaningless. Speaker impedance varies a LOT over the dynamic range, and you have to DRIVE them hard to get a real reading. Your speakers reading 2.3ohms idle may be 4-8 ohms over much of the dynamic range. It as high as 40 or 50 ohms at certain frequencies. In short you can’t really measure ohms easily, so ask the manufacturer what they are rated at, I’m guessing somewhere 4 to 8 ohms stable
The JBL GX600C speakers are 2.3 ohm according to the JBL site.

The JBL GX600C speakers are 2.3 ohm according to the JBL site.
Fair enough, then you're probably in fine shape since higher impedance will work fine they just won't be as loud since there's 50% more resistance.

For others trying to match speakers - this is a chart that Klipsch supplied me regarding their "8 ohms compatible" speakers I used in my kitchen ceiling. I ran them in series to match the 4 ohms impedance of the amp I had. Much like @sleepycruiser these are 2-way speakers with a crossover. As you can see even though these are "8 ohm" speakers the actual impedance varies a lot over the dynamic range. Note that when I used a multitester on these speakers with no load they read ~3.9 ohms, which is nowhere on this chart. Klipsch specifically told me that you can't really measure with a multimeter unless you're applying a lot of power to them.

1683993272609.png

Fair enough, then you're probably in fine shape since higher impedance will work fine they just won't be as loud since there's 50% more resistance.

For others trying to match speakers - this is a chart that Klipsch supplied me regarding their "8 ohms compatible" speakers I used in my kitchen ceiling. I ran them in series to match the 4 ohms impedance of the amp I had. Much like @sleepycruiser these are 2-way speakers with a crossover. As you can see even though these are "8 ohm" speakers the actual impedance varies a lot over the dynamic range. Note that when I used a multitester on these speakers with no load they read ~3.9 ohms, which is nowhere on this chart. Klipsch specifically told me that you can't really measure with a multimeter unless you're applying a lot of power to them.

View attachment 3321750
Interesting stuff. One of those things that you'd assume is simple unless you really stopped to think about how speakers work

View attachment 3321750

Your looking for an "efficiency" metric. Which will give you the actual output capability.

Thanks you UnFadeable21 and others in this thread for sharing info on the factory speakers and what you used for replacements. I went a similar route with a smaller budget. I'm still debating replacing the subwoofer in my 2008, but here's what I installed myself today:

-Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx - 3.5" speakers for left, center, and right dash speakers
-Infinity Reference REF-9632ix - 6x9" speakers for the front doors
-Infinity Reference REF-6532ex - 6.5" speakers for rear doors
-Metra 72-8104 Speaker Wiring Harnesses (4 total) - adapters available on Crutchfield to minimize wire cutting/soldering

Everything installed easily in an afternoon. I added about 2 sheets of sound deadening in each door when I had the panel removed. I was worried about the new 3-4 ohm speakers sounding underpowered after doing a similar job on my old 4Runner, but that didn't happen at all. These sound amazing with the factory amp and still have a huge volume range.

All 3 dash speakers required drilling small holes in the plastic underneath the grills to mount properly. 4" speakers probably would have fit the existing holes perfectly, but these worked great. I clipped the plastic plugs/wires from the old speakers and soldered them onto the new ones to have a clean connection. This worked out great.

The front door 6x9" speakers were the easiest to install. They fit the existing mounts and the wiring harness adapters prevented any cutting/soldering.

The rear door speakers required a little more work. I had to cut the old speakers out of the plastic mounts. Not a huge deal, as this can be done pretty easily with a jigsaw or dremel tool. The new speakers dropped right into the old speaker bracket. I chose to drill 4 small holes in it to mount the new speaker, but you could glue them as well. The wiring hardness adapters work great on these, also.

I decided to skip the factory tweeters in the pillars and left them in place. I might do the sub once I find more info.

I spent $360 on the new set and couldn't be happier. Maybe the 15-year-old speakers had seen better days, but this was a massive audio upgrade that I couldn't be happier with.

Thanks you UnFadeable21 and others in this thread for sharing info on the factory speakers and what you used for replacements. I went a similar route with a smaller budget. I'm still debating replacing the subwoofer in my 2008, but here's what I installed myself today:

-Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx - 3.5" speakers for left, center, and right dash speakers
-Infinity Reference REF-9632ix - 6x9" speakers for the front doors
-Infinity Reference REF-6532ex - 6.5" speakers for rear doors
-Metra 72-8104 Speaker Wiring Harnesses (4 total) - adapters available on Crutchfield to minimize wire cutting/soldering

Everything installed easily in an afternoon. I added about 2 sheets of sound deadening in each door when I had the panel removed. I was worried about the new 3-4 ohm speakers sounding underpowered after doing a similar job on my old 4Runner, but that didn't happen at all. These sound amazing with the factory amp and still have a huge volume range.

All 3 dash speakers required drilling small holes in the plastic underneath the grills to mount properly. 4" speakers probably would have fit the existing holes perfectly, but these worked great. I clipped the plastic plugs/wires from the old speakers and soldered them onto the new ones to have a clean connection. This worked out great.

The front door 6x9" speakers were the easiest to install. They fit the existing mounts and the wiring harness adapters prevented any cutting/soldering.

The rear door speakers required a little more work. I had to cut the old speakers out of the plastic mounts. Not a huge deal, as this can be done pretty easily with a jigsaw or dremel tool. The new speakers dropped right into the old speaker bracket. I chose to drill 4 small holes in it to mount the new speaker, but you could glue them as well. The wiring hardness adapters work great on these, also.

I decided to skip the factory tweeters in the pillars and left them in place. I might do the sub once I find more info.

I spent $360 on the new set and couldn't be happier. Maybe the 15-year-old speakers had seen better days, but this was a massive audio upgrade that I couldn't be happier with.

The new speakers make a massive upgrade even with the factory deck.

Glad you like it and enjoy them this summer with your windows down bro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom