Builds 2013 Land Cruiser Build Thread - Daily, Adventure, and Weekenderlander (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting a build thread for my 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser in Mag Gray. Purchased it with 69k miles on the clock. It's a Texas and Tennessee vehicle but did spend about 2 winters up Alberta. I've been flirting with buying a Land Cruiser for the past 2-3 years and honestly should have jumped back then but who knew the LC market would skyrocket the way it has. So with 2021 being the last year of the LCs and with both new and used prices increasing with supply dwindling I decided to really start searching for one. I knew I wanted a used one since I was going to mod it anyways and I was not keen on buying a $80-$90K vehicle. I definitely prefer the 2016+ models but those are still holding price really well even in the used market. So after a year or so of looking on and off I finally found a 2 owner, clean LC for a decent price in Memphis, TN. I flew from Boise to TN and immediately drove it back over the course of 3 days.

I'm coming from a relatively built up 2016 5th gen 4Runner which has kind of been my obsession the past 5 years. It's done everything I've asked it to do and hasn't had a single failure for the type of trails I do. It's a great vehicle honestly and I had intended to keep it a while which was one of the reasons I've always held off on buying a Land Cruiser. There was just one problem, it wasn't a Land Cruiser. Once you get the Land Cruiser itch it's hard to get rid of. I knew eventually I'd have to have one. I considered the 80's, 100's, GX's and LX's but ultimately the 200 makes the most sense and it's what I really wanted all along. Strong V8 engine, newer interior, relatively modern, and younger on wear and tear items. The 200 series would be the perfect platform for what I wanted to use the vehicle for. It'll be used as my daily driver, long road trip vehicle, camping, skiing, fishing, forest roads and trail duty. So with that in mind I'm going to make a conscious effort to keep the build as light as possible with items that are modular and be moved in and out of the vehicle as needed. However it's still a build and I'm going to have a little fun with it at the same time so it won't stay stock for long. I think I realized that the best version of my 4Runner was when it had a slight lift, 1+ size tires, skids, sliders, and lo-pro bumper. Once I added a rear dual swing out bumper it really took a hit on MPG, driveability, and daily functioning. So with that in mind I'll be applying lessons learned from my 5th gen 4R to my Land Cruiser and attempt (keyword!!!) to not over build it.

PXL_20210506_024343086.jpg
PXL_20210410_202638172.jpg

IMG_20181008_132021.jpg

It's going to be a slow build and I'll likely first focus on functional cheap mods that make using it a better experience. Storage, USB ports, cup holders, exterior and interior lighting upgrades are all needed. And as much as I'd like to keep the 4R as my off-road trail vehicle it just doesn't make enough sense to keep it right now as I kind of see it and the LC as redundant vehicles. Plus the gf has a supercharged 2011 Tacoma we're gonna do a camper build on which means too many vehicles of the off-road type and not enough money. So I'll be slowly taking some things off the 4R as I get it ready to sell. However you can bet some of that money will be rolled over to the Land Cruiser very quickly and the build will soon be on its way after that. If there's going to be a mantra and methodology to the build I'm hoping it's going to be "OEM+".

And many thanks to @Tex68w for answering all my annoying questions on whether or not I should get a Land Cruiser lol

Enough talk, here are some pictures of my Land Cruiser...

PXL_20210426_231402003.jpg

PXL_20210426_231410256.jpg

PXL_20210504_015624832.jpg

PXL_20210504_023709080.jpg

Last edited:
Best of luck, and looking forward to what you do with your 200. I have a fairly modified black 2013 (love that gray), that I’ve done most of the work myself (and most of it twice, because I messed it up the first time).

Best of luck, and looking forward to what you do with your 200. I have a fairly modified black 2013 (love that gray), that I’ve done most of the work myself (and most of it twice, because I messed it up the first time).
An honest and wiser man!

So first round of a few easy mods. Picked up a little cool box insert tray for some more storage, the BH3D cup holder inserts, of course for my vanity the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum license plate frame. I added some command strips to the bottom of the BH3D cup holder inserts to prevent the from moving but still need to figure out a rubber pad for the bottoms. My cups still rattle around in there which can be pretty annoying but it's at least better than the OE cup holders.

PXL_20210512_194503497.jpg
PXL_20210603_031704683.jpg

PXL_20210603_014543871.jpg

Last edited:
I also added the Kaon Roof Shelf. I had a Raingler net in my 4Runner that I would put jackets, blankets and light items up there. However it did sag with some weight and inevitably a sleeve would hang or items would fall out of it. So instead of a Raingler net or BROG attic I picked up the Kaon shelf. The price is actually not that bad given the shipping cost and it's a stand alone unit without requiring other side molle panels to attach to.

I like the shelf since it's a rigid structure, can handle more weight, and doesn't impact rear visibility. The front barrier also helps with items falling out of it as well. It took about 5 days to get to my house which is ridiculous considering it comes all the way from AU. Install was easy and the hardest thing was removing the OEM handle clips. One of the tpu retainers was a little tricky to fit in as well but the rest went in easily. I followed the instructions from their online Youtube video. The one thing I did add was blue lock tight to the bolts that go into the nutplates. Overall it took about 45 minutes to install and actually having the 3rd row helped with the installation as you can rest it on the seats folded up. I've used it a few times already and it's nice to have a gear loft and an extra place for storage.

PXL_20210603_002244674.jpg

Last edited:
When I purchased the truck it had some fairly worn Yokohama Geolander G015's on there. Great tire but the previous owner obviously did not rotate them very often as there was uneven wear on the outer edge on all of the tires. They still had 7/32nd depth left so I had some time to run them before I needed tires but knew I'd need some soon. Saw a local listing on CL for some brand new TRD Pro Tundra take-offs and got them for $1,900. Wheels and tires had less than 10 miles on them. Given that I'd need new tires anyways I jumped on them immediately and I love the look of the wheels even though I prefer 17's. These are gonna do for now but I'm actually enjoying the look and performance so far. They did great on some easy forest service roads and from what I hear the LTX AT2's have great winter and rain performance. The BBS wheels do really transform the look of the truck. The LTX AT2's aren't all that aggressive appearing but I don't need that just yet. Once I get a larger lift and go up in size on tires then I'll get something a bit more fitting.

PXL_20210603_013359064.jpg
PXL_20210603_014504601.jpg

Last edited:
Added the Trekboxx padded cover. I love the tailgate but one of the problems is that if you actually want to cook, prep things, or use the tailgate as a step all the dirt, grease and grime will get stuck on the carpet. Now I won't any issues with that and can simply clean the pad off. I like having the oem storage covers for storing items and the pad sits on top of the tailgate preserving the oem storage cubbies. It snaps off with some buttons for easy access. While something like the trail tailor tailgate storage adds more storage space I didn't have any desire to hack up the tailgate and don't really need to store a bunch of things in there. Install was pretty easy, took about 45 mins. It was a little tricky to line up the template and make it equal on both sides and pulling up the plastic oem tailgate and hearing the clips pop is always unnerving.

PXL_20210613_140347323.jpg
PXL_20210613_140358530.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. I'm in a 13 as well. Are you planning on removing the 3rd row seats?
Cheers

Welcome to the club. I'm in a 13 as well. Are you planning on removing the 3rd row seats?
Cheers

Eventually. Once I figure out what drawer system I want I'll remove the 3rd row seats.

Eventually. Once I figure out what drawer system I want I'll remove the 3rd row seats.
Nice. I have one of those on my parts shelf waiting for the day I dont need the 3rd row seat anymore.

So one of the things I struggled with on my previous build was organization. I never figured out a good way to store things that were in the truck on a daily basis vs items that I'd only bring camping. While I had a method to it and had it "dialed" as much as I could, it was like trying to play tetris stacking things and I'd have to dig out items that I wanted to get to. For this build I knew I wanted to start with organization as one of my first mods rather than a trick suspension or bumpers.

There are a lot of options out there such as the Aussie brands which are all kind of the same in that they use roller bearings and galvanized steel. Tried and true but heavy AF. Goose Gear is a great option and Trekboxx is about as premium as it gets for a full time off-road vehicle. Of course custom DIY is always the best option. However there was a few criteria that was looking for in a storage system. It had to be DD friendly, lightweight, modular, versatile, and offer a sleeping platform. Of all the options this lead me the Air Down Gear Up storage system. I was in Denver for a wedding and had an opportunity to meet up with @Kyle Bell and @suprarx7nut at the ADGU shop and have them install it. I'm super impressed with it so far and the guys are a pleasure to deal with. Install probably took around 30 minutes. I went with their single drawer and half sleeper system. With the empty half side this will allow me to put totes and bins under there as needed. The drawer will contain stuff I keep in the truck on a daily basis like my tool roll, recovery gear, car accessories, survival gear and air compressor. So far under the empty side I was able to slide my camp essentials in a Front Runner wolfpack and camp kitchen that's in a Yeti GoBox 30 under there. Behind the seats I'm able to stuff my 10L Scepter water can and Lithium solar generator. The side cubbies are big enough to slide in some extra items as well. The one con is that it is tall and with a flat platform system it raises the height of a fridge if you have one. I'm still deciding what to do with that, if I'll get a drop down fridge slide or if I'll just put it up there and reach my arm in. Not a problem for those that run a cooler though.

The half sleeper side is great for solo trips. If it's me and the two dogs it's fine. If it's two adults and the dogs then I'd rather have a tent. As far as mattress size goes, 72" long mattresses fit better under the supported areas. 77" will require you to slide the front chairs up and there's more overhang under the non-supported areas. Both 25" and 30" wide pads will fit as long as the 2nd row center is down. I thought the height was going to be a bit high with my Exped mattress but it's not bad at all and I don't feel any claustrophobic. I will have to add a hatch switch to open the rear cargo from the inside to get in and out easier.

The ADGU platform is a fantastic and well thought out piece of equipment. It's not perfect for everyone but for those looking for something that's a little less permanent I think it's a great choice. Best of all I can take it in and out by myself and be back to stock in no time if I wanted/needed to. Although I foresee this being an essential part of the rig. The drawers and organization is definitely a plus, key for my sanity and I love the thing so far. Definitely give the ADGU platform a look if you're in the market for a storage system.

PXL_20210721_235640446.jpg
PXL_20210716_181019749.jpg
PXL_20210723_191254946.jpg
PXL_20210723_191318706.jpg

Last edited:
So one of the things I struggled with on my previous build was organization. I never figured out a good way to store things that were in the truck on a daily basis vs items that I'd only bring camping. While I had a method to it and had it "dialed" as much as I could, it was like trying to play tetris stacking things and I'd have to dig out items that I wanted to get to. For this build I knew I wanted to start with organization as one of my first mods rather than a trick suspension or bumpers.

There are a lot of options out there such as the Aussie brands which are all kind of the same in that they use roller bearings and galvanized steel. Tried and true but heavy AF. Goose Gear is a great option and Trekboxx is about as premium as it gets for a full time off-road vehicle. Of course custom DIY is always the best option. However there was a few criteria that was looking for in a storage system. It had to be DD friendly, lightweight, modular, versatile, and offer a sleeping platform. Of all the options this lead me the Air Down Gear Up storage system. I was in Denver for a wedding and had an opportunity to meet up with @Kyle Bell and @suprarx7nut at the ADGU shop and have them install it. I'm super impressed with it so far and the guys are a pleasure to deal with. Install probably took around 30 minutes. I went with their single drawer and half sleeper system. With the empty half side this will allow me to put totes and bins under there as needed. The drawer will contain stuff I keep in the truck on a daily basis like my tool roll, recovery gear, car accessories, survival gear and air compressor. So far under the empty side I was able to slide my camp essentials in a Front Runner wolfpack and camp kitchen that's in a Yeti GoBox 30 under there. Behind the seats I'm able to stuff my 10L Scepter water can and Lithium solar generator. The side cubbies are big enough to slide in some extra items as well. The one con is that it is tall and with a flat platform system it raises the height of a fridge if you have one. I'm still deciding what to do with that, if I'll get a drop down fridge slide or if I'll just put it up there and reach my arm in. Not a problem for those that run a cooler though.

The half sleeper side is great for solo trips. If it's me and the two dogs it's fine. If it's two adults and the dogs then I'd rather have a tent. As far as mattress size goes, 72" long mattresses fit better under the supported areas. 77" will require you to slide the front chairs up and there's more overhang under the non-supported areas. Both 25" and 30" wide pads will fit as long as the 2nd row center is down. I thought the height was going to be a bit high with my Exped mattress but it's not bad at all and I don't feel any claustrophobic. I will have to add a hatch switch to open the rear cargo from the inside to get in and out easier.

The ADGU platform is a fantastic and well thought out piece of equipment. It's not perfect for everyone but for those looking for something that's a little less permanent I think it's a great choice. Best of all I can take it in and out by myself and be back to stock in no time if I wanted/needed to. Although I foresee this being an essential part of the rig. The drawers and organization is definitely a plus, key for my sanity and I love the thing so far. Definitely give the ADGU platform a look if you're in the market for a storage system.

View attachment 2739343View attachment 2739344View attachment 2739345View attachment 2739346
Actually considering the exact same set up. I too have the Kaon basket, and was curious whether or not my Dometic CFX35 would clear the platform on a slide. Would you mind letting me know what the measurement between the ADGU platform and the Kaon basket is if you don’t mind??

Actually considering the exact same set up. I too have the Kaon basket, and was curious whether or not my Dometic CFX35 would clear the platform on a slide. Would you mind letting me know what the measurement between the ADGU platform and the Kaon basket is if you don’t mind??

I think it should absolutely fit. The LC is in the shop right now but hopefully I'll be getting it back in a few days. I'll measure it the height for you. Better yet I actually have a CFX35 and I'll throw it up there and take a few pics.

I think it should absolutely fit. The LC is in the shop right now but hopefully I'll be getting it back in a few days. I'll measure it the height for you. Better yet I actually have a CFX35 and I'll throw it up there and take a few pics.
Thank you!!

View attachment 2739343View attachment 2739344View attachment 2739345View attachment 2739346
Nice, I'm doing a quick homebuild of a similar setup right now minus the drawer for a trip I'm leaving for next week. Would love to eventually get the one from these guys as it is much more refined than mine will be.

Fits with PLENTY of room to spare. Distance from the top of the platform to the kaon shelf is about 21.5". I believe the CFX35 is about 15-16" tall. You'd definitely be able to fit a slide and the CFX35 between that space. I'd probably get one of those Alu-cab tilting fridge slides.

PXL_20210829_044043601.jpg
PXL_20210829_044202983.jpg
PXL_20210829_044153703.jpg

So I haven't updated this thread in a while. Not much has happened to the Land Cruiser this fall and winter. We've been using it mostly as a ski touring/resort rig so I just haven't wrenched on it much. We've also had family over and needed the 3rd row on a few occasions so I actually took the ADGU platform out but will be putting it back in shortly.

I recently had six days off of work and thought it may be good to take advantage of my time off and head to southern Utah. My initial plan was to go to St. George area, swing on over to Page and then head up to Moab. A little ambitious but but doable. However @mcgaskins posted his sliders and ARB rear bumper non-swing out version up for sale so I thought it may be a good opportunity to swing over to Denver and pick those up. I've been eyeing the the slee sliders for a while and since this a DD I didn't want to bother with a rear bumper with swing outs (been there done that). Plus I honestly can't say I've needed to use a spare or jerry cans on my previous trips, I guess I don't wheel hard enough...? Anyways I changed my plans a bit and instead spent two nights in Moab then headed to Denver to pick up the sliders and bumpers.

Note I did not take my Land Cruiser this trip and instead took my 2006 Toyota Tundra double cab since I needed the truck bed space for the bumpers and sliders. I've had it for about 6 months and haven't really driven it much since I want to do some baseline maintenance on it first. Fluids have been flushed and I wanted to have the TB/WP and ball joints changed prior to any major trips but due to timing I needed the truck this time around. It has the venerable 2UZ-FE 4.7L V8. The truck handled the winds of I-84 west/central Idaho well and was able to slog it's way up Vail Pass slowly but surely. It's no 3UR that's for sure. I kept the camping simple and slept out of the truck bed. The temperatures in Moab are perfect this time of year, around 70-80's in the day and 30-40's at night. I camped north of Moab around Bartlett Wash and Hidden Canyon. It's great to get away from the city of Moab and nearby campsites since the town is super busy right now. The first night I got in pretty late and it was dark by the time I arrived so I took any spot I could get. My camp spot on Day 2 was nearly perfect and no other campsites within hundreds of yards from me. I didn't do any hard trails since the Tundra has some 4Runner take-offs with Dun(flops) on them but it was nice to put it into 4-lo in some sections. I can tell that with a small lift, larger and proper AT's that the Tundra with it's LSD would be able to tackle a lot of the trails in Moab.

PXL_20220324_144445381.jpg

PXL_20220324_154431838.jpg
PXL_20220324_182452442.jpg
PXL_20220324_185631541.jpg
PXL_20220325_030437133.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom