2013 Headlamp assembly replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FIL has a 2013 LC and his headlight assemblies are cloudy and dingy. He doesnt want to rub toothpaste or any other compound to polish the lenses but wants to replace them.

Are there any manufacturers you recommend other than oem? Don’t want black or other color change but looking for an oem appearance.

I’ve looked at some sellers on fleabay who don’t name a manufacturer and are about $500. These lights look great but i’d like to hear if they are something to consider.

Thanks

@DuckLN - I used Depo brand on my 100 series. They are definitely lower quality, but got the job done (I did a HID conversion). If you can stomach the cost, I'd recommend buying original equipment parts. You also might be surprised about how well the headlight polishing kits work though.

In the middle of the same procedure.
Got OEM headlights and started the process but got stuck with removing the bumper/grill. I think I’m afraid to yank hard but it’s not coming out with moderate pull.

Not sure on your year or LC/LX, but on my 2013 Land Cruiser to remove the bumper, you take off the plastic panel over the radiator support (several push fasteners, push the center in to release them), pull it up and off. Take out the three screws left, center and right at the top of the grille, holding it to the radiator support. Disconnect the electrical plug to the camera. Reach down to the bottom of the grille and release the tabs that are all along the bottom. Pull forward to remove the grille.

A detailing shop can clear those headlights right up, then putting a synthetic sealant on them every few months will keep them clear.

If you didn't like how the OEM ones faded, wait til you run aftermarket. A light can look amazing on ebay then go to install it and be a total piece of s***. A couple of my past vehicles had these.. constant wiring problems, adapter harnesses because the manufacturer didn't want to spend the money on bulkhead plugs, etc. Total crap.

And yes, you'll have to disassemble the front of the truck to install them.

Polishing headlight lenses / grille removal if you need to remove the grille and more info on polishing.

In the middle of the same procedure.
Got OEM headlights and started the process but got stuck with removing the bumper/grill. I think I’m afraid to yank hard but it’s not coming out with moderate pull.

Post 2 of this thread has instructions on how to remove bumper / grill (part of the radiator replacement instructions).

Not sure on your year or LC/LX, but on my 2013 Land Cruiser to remove the bumper, you take off the plastic panel over the radiator support (several push fasteners, push the center in to release them), pull it up and off. Take out the three screws left, center and right at the top of the grille, holding it to the radiator support. Disconnect the electrical plug to the camera. Reach down to the bottom of the grille and release the tabs that are all along the bottom. Pull forward to remove the grille.

Yep did all that up until release the tabs. I think I’m releasing them but not sure, nothing clicks. Again I must not be pulling hard enough

I find a 90 degree pick can be helpful to release the tabs.

Yep did all that up until release the tabs. I think I’m releasing them but not sure, nothing clicks. Again I must not be pulling hard enough
Check my thread linked above. Pictures of exactly where to push with a screwdriver and the process to get across. There are two or three on the left you cant get to but releasing the rest will get you far enough to just pull on those.

If you take a small 90 degree pick, insert under the tab with the short leg horizontal then rotate it 90 degrees upward toward vertical, it will push the release tab enough to release the grill.

If you take a small 90 degree pick, insert under the tab with the short leg horizontal then rotate it 90 degrees upward toward vertical, it will push the release tab enough to release the grill.

So where do you press on these over under?

66C017D1-7335-4CA4-823B-AEE68E513E96.jpeg

71C0257E-2ADC-41BB-8099-10A7F0FA459A.jpeg

FAAC38C6-8FF4-4CD4-9526-1A86191C4BF8.jpeg

From underneath.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Don't waste your time with any of the aftermarket options. Took me 3 months to track down all the areas they were leaking and 2 years in and they're chipped and yellowing. The bulb holders are if insufficient length and the bulbs will bounce around over every bump. Bite the bullet and get OEM. I'll be soon doing that when these are completely crap. I have even been using Wulfgang Plastik sealant on them monthly with UV stabilizer and they're still terrible. There are zero reasons to get aftermarket vs OEM.

81170-60D03 (Left), 81130-60D33 (Right)

Last edited:
81170-60D03 (Left), 81130-60D33 (Right)

Those are parts for the 2008-2011 LC - will not fit the OP's 2013 LC.

Correct Part Numbers for a 2013 LC are:

Passenger side:
Headlamp Assembly - Toyota (81145-60F50)

Driver Side:
Headlamp Assembly - Toyota (81185-60F50)

HTH

$500 each! I suppose you can't just replace the 'lens' you need to.replace the entire assembly?

$500 each! I suppose you can't just replace the 'lens' you need to.replace the entire assembly?
Toyota doesn’t make separate parts for that, so anything you find aftermarket will be lesser quality and even more likely to go bad.

But you can replace the lens with an aftermarket (without replacing the entire assembly) should you decide to or is it one piece?

But you can replace the lens with an aftermarket (without replacing the entire assembly) should you decide to or is it one piece?
You’d have a difficult time getting it to seal correctly, and the lower quality plastic would just fade that much more quickly than an OEM lens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom