2012 Christmas tree cutting patrol (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So that will be one vehicle, right?

I'll be there on Dec. 2nd and 8th. I can be a coordinator if you need another one.

If I don't make it on Saturday, the first thing that needs to be brought to attention is 300v. There is a giant ice slick covering the trail on an off camber section. I believe that it is not passable without ending up in the 3 foot deep gully next to it. Probably should close that trail for the event.

Same spot David Molter slid off a couple years ago and required winching, shortly after getting him free, I slid off and broke a mirror and dented my door.

There is also a lot of ice on hotel gulch, FS 346 that is dangerous. I drove over it heading up to rampart, coming down would be spooky.

Last minute thrashes to get your junk together are the best :)

image-3533656078.jpg

image-1993335972.jpg

Looks like I can make it up on the 1st, noonish-thirty or so, but maybe earlier. Have a breakfast thing I've been roped into going to. Linda may be coming along too, since the wx will be good, or is rumoured to be. Since the rest of you will already be working, is there a call frequency used? 52 simplex?

And all this after I finally found all the chains, looks like it will be another dusty tree run.

We generally use 146.460. Sometimes in that area we will hear other traffic and switch to 146.580. Looks like you may be using CB's ch 4 with that group. You may want to ask Chuck to monitor a repeater, MARC or Pikes Peak maybe.

I'll be up for most of the day on 146.460. There is a lot of traffic, but its fun because there's a couple folks I've talked to in the springs that monitor what we're up to :)

I threw the damn CB out the window, ran it over, and buried it on a trail somewhere last time I was out. If you put a CB under a foot of dirt, the conversation quality is almost as good as when its sitting next to you... What? Say again? WHAT?!?

Last edited:
... I threw the damn CB out the window, ran it over, and buried it on a trail somewhere last time I was out. If you put a CB under a foot of dirt, the conversation quality is almost as good as when its sitting next to you... What? Say again? WHAT?!?

^^:lol:

I tried to get a hold of Rick but didn't get a call back regarding the road conditions you posted. Please remember to let them know when you check in. Have fun, I'll be chasing speed goats with my daughter.

Spent Saturday following around Sam. Had some good laughs and helped out a few people who had gotten themselves turned around.

Nothing too exciting until we were headed back and ran across a Jeep with a snapped throttle cable. Sam grabbed a roll of some wire and fashioned him up a new cable.

Sam then went off to save a Bronco with a busted fuel pump.

Good Times. Looking forward to next weekend. Snow in the forecast for Saturday!!!

Sam and I.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good time.

I was in and out quick with the fam. Found a perfect Charlie Brown tree and had to get back to the springs. I'll be up there with ya next weekend, though. Snow would be great!

I rode with Sam and Travis for a while then went to find Luke who was patrolling on his own. Very quiet day until the end when Luke and I helped some guy put his power steering pump belt back on. It came off again later and was replaced the next day.

On the Dusty trail...

I did make it up to the trail Sat afternoon, but didn't connect with any one. I found a lot of vehicles all looking for the best place to get off the main road to get the perfect tree. I turned off on 323, talked to the guy on fire patrol, then made the loop to 324 and back out. The road, 323/324 was oddly smooth, and even with the warning siigns that 4WD was required it was a smooth ride. In a couple places there was actually some snow on the road. I heard some chatter on 146.46, but was not able to get anyone to come back. In all the years since CLC has assisted PPNF in this annual event, this was the dustiest conditions I've ever seen. Hopefully, the forcast for moisture, snow/rain for this next week will pan out. Snow and Christmas trees just work out better. It was good to get out in the '40 though.

Thanks for all the trail reports from everyone. Even thought there was no snow it sounds like our club made a difference in helping people out. Good job everyone.

Maybe in the future when we have someone trying to connect with the group it would be a good idea to monitor repeaters at a regular interval. Simplex will only get you so far in the Mountains. For example, just set a time to tune into Pikes Peak or MARC, say on the hour for 5 minutes of monitoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom