Christmas Tree Cutting Support 2023 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just received an email from Josh VonLoh the Forest Service Representative that organizes the annual Christmas Tree cutting event.

This is a thread to notify the members of CLC of the request that we received from the Forest Service. The dates are about the same as last year (4 weekends).

-November 25th & 26th
-December 2nd & 3rd, 9th& 10th, 16th & 17th

To inform those members that are not aware of the event. Each year we volunteer to support the Forest Service by patrolling the area that is used for Christmas Tree cutting to help participants have a positive experience. Many of the people that are out to cut a Christmas tree are not prepared to deal with snowy and icy roads. Most of the participant that we need to help are eager to be out in the forest. In the past we have pulled vehicles out of ditches, towed broken down vehicles to an area where a regular tow truck will access, find lost people, find lost cars, pull vehicles back to the main road, asked shooters to move to a less populated area, guided people to the best tree areas, helped people that got turned around and lost.

A typical day is: We meet as a group at the Philips 66 gas station in Divide at 8:00 am. After a top up of gas, food and coffee we leave about 8:30 and reconvene at the Rule Ridge parking lot where we sign in with the Forest Service and get issued FS radios, signs and get a briefing on the latest conditions etc. At 9:00 we move out to the various patrol area and look for adequate signage, road condition problems, participant problems. Around noon we get together in a central location for lunch, then back to the patrol areas with a wrap up debrief to the FS representative about 4:00.

A separate post will be made for each day for CLC members to sign up. Please sign up for as many days as you can. Bring your family along as you will be driving new roads and be able to spot that perfect tree or camping spot. Bring your friends and neighbors in their 4WD (even Jeeps are welcome) to help out. The FS will allow each volunteer to cut a tree with no permit required for participating, just let them know at the briefing.

Basic equipment needed: 4WD vehicle, tow strap with way to attach to vehicle, tire chains that fit (at least 1 axle), GMRS radio, blanket, lunch, personal cold weather gear.
Nice to have equipment: winch, traction boards, GPS map, 2 axle tire chains, T hook cluster, Chile and stove.

We report the hours worked to the FS so they can get credit for volunteer hours. This is the main volunteer effort that the club provides. We do report hours on trail rides as patrol time.

DM

I'll be participating - just need to determine when.

Reactions: SAS
I'm sending an email to the "contacts list" that includes members, former members, and guests we've had on past trail ride events.

Damn Tracy that hurts. I, personally, would have called you a friend. We turned wrenches together on Land Cruisers and that means nothing?!?! Didn't even make the email distro list even.

starr495@gmail.com

Well my buddy at work wants in on this. They will bring 2 Heeps (they at least survived moab 2 weeks ago). So make sure to shoot me that email so I can give it to them. He asked what weekends I plan on doing it. I said I plan on doing 1 day every weekend for the first 3. He said they join the days I do it. Because friends do things to help each other Tracy. Tell him @wonderlc

Monthly meeting?

@raisinhell2 don't know if they got you in the group yet. So here is the news.

Damn Tracy that hurts. I, personally, would have called you a friend. We turned wrenches together on Land Cruisers and that means nothing?!?! Didn't even make the email distro list even.

starr495@gmail.com

Well my buddy at work wants in on this. They will bring 2 Heeps (they at least survived moab 2 weeks ago). So make sure to shoot me that email so I can give it to them. He asked what weekends I plan on doing it. I said I plan on doing 1 day every weekend for the first 3. He said they join the days I do it. Because friends do things to help each other Tracy. Tell him @wonderlc

Monthly meeting?

@raisinhell2 don't know if they got you in the group yet. So here is the news.
Jarrod

Thank you I am not in anything as of yet heres my email Rholmes10396@gmail.com I would love to join in

Talked to my buddy. He said he down to come with me. I should be able to do Sundays.

I may be out for this one . I have never done any winter wheeling since Ive been here I don't own chains or boards or a radio haha. Everyone hates when I lead trails and send out the pigeons. I don't want to turn into the one being rescued. I am triple locked on 35s with a winch and straps with a ton of offroad and recovery experience. snow wheeling is not in my skill set if just my rig is enough I am game for this sunday.

Please come out and see how it works. Everyone that has come out has been rescued by buddies. Last year was my latest time when I got pulled out of a creek crossing. I have a radio that you can borrow. I have 35 in tire chains you can borrow. There, I got rid of all of your excuses, so come on out. Just sign up on the individual day threads (there is one for each of the 8 days). I hope you change your mind and do come out.

Well Randy, looks like Dave has got you taken care of.

This is the only thread I am linked too. I will see you guys on Sunday!!!! Thanks Dave I have been looking forward to snow wheeling

@LCPilot I forgot to give you your radio back . Ill prob come out 1 day next weekend if you need it sooner let me know we can meet somewhere

Hi - general Christmas tree permit question.

The odds have been against me this year, and I haven't made it up with the club yet and haven't gotten our own tree either. And I won't be able to get there this weekend.

The recreation.gov site shows permits are good through 12/31 everywhere except Pikes Peak Ranger District, which shows them ending on 12/17. So I can't go up on a weekday next week??

The recreation.gov site shows permits are good through 12/31 everywhere except Pikes Peak Ranger District, which shows them ending on 12/17. So I can't go up on a weekday next week??
I've always understood that the tree-cutting is permitted in the area every day from start date to end date; The Ranger District invites us to volunteer on weekends because that is the "high volume" period, but cutting in the designated area with a valid tag is open on weekdays, too.

I've always understood that the tree-cutting is permitted in the area every day from start date to end date; The Ranger District invites us to volunteer on weekends because that is the "high volume" period, but cutting in the designated area with a valid tag is open on weekdays, too.
Right, but according to recreation.gov, the end date is this Sunday. But only for Pikes Peak - the other 4 ranger districts are open until the 31st

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom