2011 LC, I'm I Crazy to Consider it? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been a Land Cruiser fan a long time. All totaled up I have owned six of them. Currently still have three (1972, 1988, 2004). All with higher miles. I have always wanted a 200 series, drove a 2011 with 175,000 miles on it in March and it was solid, drove great, but had a little wear and tear on the interior. I decided to pass on it.
Just this weekend I found a 2011 LC with only 28,791 miles on it. Seems crazy , but it is true. I went and checked it out. Drove it, crawled underneath it, took a flashlight to the engine bay, and printed out a carfax report. It all checks out. It's in great shape inside and out.
They are asking $47k. Am I crazy for considering this? Is the asking price too high for a 12 year old car? I am mostly looking to check my sanity. It doesn't seem too out of wack in my brain, but is my brain just desensitized to the cost of these vehicles?
Any input would be welcome.

Pic of my other Land Cruisers for attention.
NTCV3631.JPG

For more miles you can get a next gen for same money. You should check out the feature between the two gen to make sure you are not missing something.

If you’ll realistically keep it for a decade.. totally makes sense. Depending on how it is stored it may need a few things to be “perfect” but in terms of drivetrain and suspension that example is just getting broken in.

If you often tire of your vehicles and move on quickly IMO it wouldn’t justify that cost. Given your collection I don’t think that would be the case here.

Recently purchased a 2013 with just over 50k miles for price close to that, but was looking at earlier model years earlier too. It also had mods I wanted (Gamiviti, sliders, etc), good service history, and in fantastic shape. Yeah, seems a bit nuts to be at that much for a vehicle with that age on it, but we all know the expected life span on these. We also know how scarce the low mileage examples are too (28k!) - so it makes sense to me.

I will say, though, that I appreciate some of those 2013+ facelift features… prices also seem to be correcting to where that type of $ might also get you a decent mileage 2016+, though I like the earlier style

Recently purchased a 2013 with just over 50k miles for price close to that, but was looking at earlier model years earlier too. It also had mods I wanted (Gamiviti, sliders, etc), good service history, and in fantastic shape. Yeah, seems a bit nuts to be at that much for a vehicle with that age on it, but we all know the expected life span on these. We also know how scarce the low mileage examples are too (28k!) - so it makes sense to me.

I will say, though, that I appreciate some of those 2013+ facelift features… prices also seem to be correcting to where that type of $ might also get you a decent mileage 2016+, though I like the earlier style
Thanks for the thoughts.

How important is low mileage to you? If you found the same truck with 50k miles on it for 10k less would you be more or less inclined to buy it? How about a 2013 with 50k miles? 80k miles?

From your photos I'm assuming you don't plan to do a major build with the 200, but it does seem like you keep your cruisers forever. So low mileage might be good in the sense that you'll probably get decades of use out of the truck on OEM components. But if you're not heavily modifying the truck a newer rig with a higher mileage might also be worth considering if you prefer the newer body styles and the extra interior features since there's no need to "maximize the life of the mods" (i.e. I wouldn't put $20-30k in mods into a truck with 300k+ miles unless I intended to drop another $20k in mechanical repairs like an engine and transmission rebuild, but I wouldn't hesitate on a 2011 with 30k miles).

Note that aside from a facelift the 2013+ has seat coolers, a better (though still not stellar) bluetooth/nav system, better ATRAC/MTS, and some other creature comforts. 2016+ was both interior and exterior facelift, again improved nav (though again still not stellar), 8-speed, etc.

Personally if I was spending $47k on a 2011 I'd consider spending $5k more on this 2016 with 80k miles, though if you drive your truck 5k miles per year then 10 years of driving might outweigh the creature comforts or body style changes.

How important is low mileage to you? If you found the same truck with 50k miles on it for 10k less would you be more or less inclined to buy it? How about a 2013 with 50k miles? 80k miles?

From your photos I'm assuming you don't plan to do a major build with the 200, but it does seem like you keep your cruisers forever. So low mileage might be good in the sense that you'll probably get decades of use out of the truck on OEM components. But if you're not heavily modifying the truck a newer rig with a higher mileage might also be worth considering if you prefer the newer body styles and the extra interior features since there's no need to "maximize the life of the mods" (i.e. I wouldn't put $20-30k in mods into a truck with 300k+ miles unless I intended to drop another $20k in mechanical repairs like an engine and transmission rebuild, but I wouldn't hesitate on a 2011 with 30k miles).

Note that aside from a facelift the 2013+ has seat coolers, a better (though still not stellar) bluetooth/nav system, better ATRAC/MTS, and some other creature comforts. 2016+ was both interior and exterior facelift, again improved nav (though again still not stellar), 8-speed, etc.

Personally if I was spending $47k on a 2011 I'd consider spending $5k more on this 2016 with 80k miles, though if you drive your truck 5k miles per year then 10 years of driving might outweigh the creature comforts or body style changes.

Thanks for these questions to consider. You bring up some very good points here.

If you're going to rack up a bunch of miles, the premium for ultra-low miles is not worth it IMO. If you're going to use it occasionally and keep it parked most of the time (i.e. it's going to stay ultra low mileage) then it's worth the $$$ investment in re-sale.

If you plan to keep it, use it or just don't really think of it as an investment, then get a higher mileage truck at a lower price.

It would be the logical addition to the herd, if nothing else, just for the photo-op :D

I’d recommend getting the 200 and financing it by selling the 3 you have now to me.

I’d recommend getting the 200 and financing it by selling the 3 you have now to me.
Haha. I can't do it. The 100 might go to a family member, but the others have to stay.

So, a little update to this 2011. I posted my story in the " For Sale - Most recent 200 Series purchase prices" thread this morning as mentioned by ryanCA.

One of the kind gentlemen mentioned a post about two 200 series that were for sale in Idaho, both having had rodent damage to the wiring. The Carfax on this 2011 shows nothing out of the ordinary so I called the dealership that performed all of the services. They confirmed that their service history shows rodent damage to the wiring harness and that the wiring harness was replaced in 2021, it was towed to the dealer for not starting, and that a battery tender was added in 2022. I am assuming that the LC was stationed at a second home and used minimally. That would explain the low miles and rodent activity, I guess.​

So now, probably a dumb question, would this information scare you off? I think it does me, but now I wonder what you all think.

Given your LC ownerships, you probably know you can get dealer service history by logging into the Toyota Owners web site and entering the VIN. That might give you more clues to the wiring? Rodent damage can be everything from minimal chewing on the knock sensor wiring to major, extensive nesting/chewing/pooping damage. Especially if it was parked for a long time. Given the extent of possible damage, if it was me, I'd pass on it unless I had a lot more detail.

Given your LC ownerships, you probably know you can get dealer service history by logging into the Toyota Owners web site and entering the VIN. That might give you more clues to the wiring? Rodent damage can be everything from minimal chewing on the knock sensor wiring to major, extensive nesting/chewing/pooping damage. Especially if it was parked for a long time. Given the extent of possible damage, if it was me, I'd pass on it unless I had a lot more detail.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did try getting into the Toyota Owners website, but it was being weird. So I just called the dealership and had them read me the list they had.

Any 200 would be a good addition to that pic in your first post 👀

So, a little update to this 2011. I posted my story in the " For Sale - Most recent 200 Series purchase prices" thread this morning as mentioned by ryanCA.

One of the kind gentlemen mentioned a post about two 200 series that were for sale in Idaho, both having had rodent damage to the wiring. The Carfax on this 2011 shows nothing out of the ordinary so I called the dealership that performed all of the services. They confirmed that their service history shows rodent damage to the wiring harness and that the wiring harness was replaced in 2021, it was towed to the dealer for not starting, and that a battery tender was added in 2022. I am assuming that the LC was stationed at a second home and used minimally. That would explain the low miles and rodent activity, I guess.​

So now, probably a dumb question, would this information scare you off? I think it does me, but now I wonder what you all think.
Might not scare me off, but would certainly scare me off from paying a premium price. Can’t say I know the extent of a full wire harness replacement in one of these later model trucks, but can’t be an easy task. All connectors reinstalled to factory levels? Rodents make their way to any other areas? Only time will tell.

I have a farm.

2018 Tacoma,
2021 Tacoma
2022 Tacoma.

All 3 towed into dealer, all 3 rodent damage. Full wiring harness replaced. These cars are driven daily, and used hard. Parked at night. Never sits.

Lots of harnesses these days (some environmental soy stuff) are eaten by rodents. It is more common that I would like.

That is why I keep insurance.

When it happened to our first 2018 Taco at 41K miles in 2019, I freaked out. Didn't even want the the truck, thinking the dealer probably doesn't know how to fix it etc. Truck is at 217K miles now, with 0 issues.

Other 2 Tacomas with new wire harnesses, never any issues.

All fixed at I-10 Toyota in CA. All purchased new by me at Bozeman Toyota.

The low mileage does point to a vehicle that sat at a vacation home a good amount of time. That’s not ideal for a vehicle but it would also explain the need for a battery tender. Or it could be from rodent damage resulting in a short and slow battery drain. But my $ would be in the former.

i had some rodent activity recently (knock sensor wire, in fact), and my truck gets driven regularly, so irregular driving habits aren’t really a given. Fortunately that repair was cheap given they were already fixing a leak in the valley plate. Probably would have been a lot more expensive otherwise. Either way it’s repaired and I’m not too concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom