Events/Trails 200's in Breckenridge - Summer 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Add me to the YES list. The event sign up; not the new dad list. Myself, wife, and two kids will be spending two weeks in the area. I'm going to start training, so I don't pass out at 14,000ft.

That is actually one of my concerns. The last time I was in Denver, I drove up to a 14,000' pass and it was not fun. I started getting light-headed pretty quick. I'm not sure what to do about that.

That is actually one of my concerns. The last time I was in Denver, I drove up to a 14,000' pass and it was not fun. I started getting light-headed pretty quick. I'm not sure what to do about that.

It's true that some people are particularly sensitive.

I was a human lab rat in a study of HAPE (High Altitude Pulmonary Edema), and it was not particularly fun.
Lots of interesting things happen at high altitudes and I got to experience that first hand by riding a stationary bike to the point of exhaustion/failure at right around 14k feet--with wires and tubes through my heart and lungs...all while in a tiny laboratory atop a mountain in California--not too far from Whitney.

On a happy note, I didn't hear of any complaints or altitude issues in Ouray, even though several passes top 13k.

The best way to get acclimated is to show up a couple days before and stay in the Denver area or somewhere in the 4-6k elevation for a night or two, move up to 8-10k feet for a day or two, and keep drinking LOTS of water and limit alcohol consumption or anything else that is dehydrating. Even if you're not thirsty keep chugging the water. Even though I have lived at elevation for over 2/3 of my life, I've gotten altitude sickness from not following my own advice and it's absolutely terrible.

The best way to get acclimated is to show up a couple days before and stay in the Denver area or somewhere in the 4-6k elevation for a night or two, move up to 8-10k feet for a day or two, and keep drinking LOTS of water and limit alcohol consumption or anything else that is dehydrating. Even if you're not thirsty keep chugging the water. Even though I have lived at elevation for over 2/3 of my life, I've gotten altitude sickness from not following my own advice and it's absolutely terrible.

Great advice.

On the other hand, a lot of people are far less sensitive.
What's interesting is that for some people, being in great shape is not the deciding factor, either. If you are sensitive to it, it tends to remain a sensitivity. That was one of teh interesting aspects when I was the lab rat. I was in great shape at the time, and I'm not sensitive. Meanwhile, there was at least one marathon runner who was VERY sensitive to altitude. Weird.

I am pretty sure they run shuttles from DEN up to Breck, at least they do in the winter. Might want to check that out as well
It's CME (happens to be owned by Vail Resorts, which owns Breck) if you need a shuttle to Breckenridge.

Arrive a few days early and drink a LOT of water...

I just pound Gatorade that whole drive out and then being in MOab for a few days prior (@6000ft) was the magic ticket

I had been in Denver for a few days prior to going up into the mountains, unfortunately. I didn't try drinking lots of water, however.

I had been in Denver for a few days prior to going up into the mountains, unfortunately. I didn't try drinking lots of water, however.

Water is definitely key...I find it easiest to fill up my Osprey hydration pack (3 liters/100oz) all the way and drink it constantly when I'm in the mountains. If I have to rely on water bottles I end up not drinking nearly enough. The time I ended up getting altitude sickness I forgot my pack and went up to nearly 12,000 feet after a long week at work, and I didn't get there until late at night. I was probably close to dehydrated by the time I set up camp, but then we of course drank a bunch of wine instead of water which made it worse. The next day I was out dirt biking most of the day in the heat, and again didn't bring any water. I got within about 100 feet of camp and had to pull over because I felt so nauseated and had such a bad headache. I vomited, went another 20 feet and vomited again.

When I got back to camp, my buddy who was an Eagle Scout was worried and gave me about 2 hours to feel better before he made us all pack up and head out. I chugged water, tried to eat some food, but literally nothing would stay down for longer than about 2 minutes, and my headache got worse and worse. He made the group pack up camp and we headed back to Denver around 11pm (I felt really guilty), and I literally felt better and better as we declined in elevation. We got into Denver a little after midnight, and I was feeling 100x better. I slept about 9 hours and woke feeling amazing the next day. Who knows what could have happened if we didn't listen to my buddy and stayed another night at ~12k feet, but he (and my nurse sister) felt it could have been really bad. I'll say that it's close to the worst I've ever felt, and I don't wish that on anyone so drink lots and lots of water :)

I just pound Gatorade that whole drive out and then being in MOab for a few days prior (@6000ft) was the magic ticket

If flat-lander Beamin can do it...you hill-folk can! :hillbilly:

Too late, Cody!

I was planning on coming this year to Cruise Moab- but we did Moab last August before Ouray and now we have this little shindig. So won't make it this year to Cruise Moab. Someone may talk some of us in doing a Pre-Breckenridge trip to Moab...
Btu, I'm here. 10 hubcaps. I've still got them. Where are you located? I can figure out a shipping quote

Louis

PM sent.

Stay tuned for more details, will have patches and stickers available prior to the event.

Patches just came in this week.

IMG_0315.JPG

I would like one of those patches please

I've got a perfect spot on my havoc 30 that's going to look great on. Way to go Matt.

Those look amazing!
Can we order 2?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom