Events/Trails 200's in Breckenridge - Summer 2017 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am back in the definite status +3 and my pack of Boston Terriers. It looks like we will be hitting the PNW the week before, @kreiten I may need to drag you out for some Cascades/Mt. Raineer touring! See you Mofos in Breck!
Great! I know Isabella will love to hang with the girls and the pups.

Great! I know Isabella will love to hang with the girls and the pups.
I am thinking about picking up a HAM for this trip, may need to pick your brain in a few months before pulling the trigger. I want to replicate your multi-communication HAM/CB design ;)

I am back in the definite status +3 and my pack of Boston Terriers. It looks like we will be hitting the PNW the week before, @kreiten I may need to drag you out for some Cascades/Mt. Raineer touring! See you Mofos in Breck!
sounds like a plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that the dates are set, I'm out. I could have made the trip if it had been a week earlier in late July, but the first week of August is not doable. Bummer.

I agree 100%. I'm new to the 200, and it seems an outsider the platform already has a lot to prove to the rest of the LC community for it to be considered as a worthy wheeler - just like every new LC generation does. Adding "vacation club" to an event makes it sound like an elitist hangout that's more about fine dining, wine drinking and going to the spa than using the trucks. I like the designs of the stickers though so with a slight tweak to the abbreviation it would be great.
How about LCAC...Land Crusier Adventure club

Now that the dates are set, I'm out. I could have made the trip if it had been a week earlier in late July, but the first week of August is not doable. Bummer.

I hope you can go somehow... :-/

Just the opposite here, though...

If a week earlier in July, I'd be forced out...

When I saw it was Aug 2-6?
...Almost jumped out o my wheelchair to do a happy-dance...

Like last year, I'll be at a week-long air show in Oshkosh, Wisconsin with my uncle through August 30... with my Truck left at Slee for mods & pickup on the 1st.

Last edited:
1st week of August may not work for me. Business trip. The same quarterly meeting occurs the first week of May so that knocks me out of Cruise Moab. But that's my problem. There is certainly no way to find a week, in the Summer, that works for everyone.

Cody,

I know where Breck is, but I'm not at all familiar & I'm already thinking about where to stay...

Is there a pre-trail meeting point we'd most likely use like we did in Ouray? If so...any idea what that might be? Maybe it doesn't matter and I should just find a place...but eventually this will come up. Any advice on that...or does it even matter? Ouray is tiny, but I'm assuming Breck lodging is more spread out?

1st week of August may not work for me. Business trip. The same quarterly meeting occurs the first week of May so that knocks me out of Cruise Moab. But that's my problem. There is certainly no way to find a week, in the Summer, that works for everyone.

:(

Cody,

I know where Breck is, but I'm not at all familiar & I'm already thinking about where to stay...

Is there a pre-trail meeting point we'd most likely use like we did in Ouray? If so...any idea what that might be? Maybe it doesn't matter and I should just find a place...but eventually this will come up. Any advice on that...or does it even matter? Ouray is tiny, but I'm assuming Breck lodging is more spread out?
Good question! Breck is still a small town and anywhere is fine. If you want to save a few bucks you can even stay in Frisco which is about 15 min from Breck.

Since we will have multiple groups I don't know of meeting spots yet for pre-trails.

Good question! Breck is still a small town and anywhere is fine. If you want to save a few bucks you can even stay in Frisco which is about 15 min from Breck.

Since we will have multiple groups I don't know of meeting spots yet for pre-trails.

Thx for the quick info.
I'll have a look with a bit less worry over distance now.

Thank you Cody.

@Canyonero We chatted about Red Cone Before. Webster pass because of the shelf road is a pain. This past summer we did Red Cone and Tremek joined us in his stock 200. Had no issues doing the trail. Instead of webster pass, we took the road out to Montezuma which goes by Keystone and drops you off on I-70 at Lake Dillon. It is a forest road with a few small water crossings and a couple of stone areas that are like small low incline hills as the worst obstacle

Red Cone is one of my favorites and I do it every year with my daughters. This year I was not looking forward to the shelf road and we decided to head out the way I mentioned.

Nice thing about Colorado is it isnt much more than an hour to Breckenridge. I should be able to join you at least one day. If I have more time I will bring my Kimberley Karavan, just would need to find a place to park it

Edit: I should mention the problem with doing Redcone is its one way so you would have to go through Webster pass and that shelf road that sucks, because it is way to narrow.

There are some passes that are fun from Leadville to fairplay, Mosquito pass is fun and not all that hard. If you get down to Buena Vista there is Chinamans, but that has some hard spots

Last edited:
@Canyonero We chatted about Red Cone Before. Webster pass because of the shelf road is a pain. This past summer we did Red Cone and Tremek joined us in his stock 200. Had no issues doing the trail. Instead of webster pass, we took the road out to Montezuma which goes by Keystone and drops you off on I-70 at Lake Dillon. It is a forest road with a few small water crossings and a couple of stone areas that are like small low incline hills as the worst obstacle

Red Cone is one of my favorites and I do it every year with my daughters. This year I was not looking forward to the shelf road and we decided to head out the way I mentioned.

Nice thing about Colorado is it isnt much more than an hour to Breckenridge. I should be able to join you at least one day. If I have more time I will bring my Kimberley Karavan, just would need to find a place to park it

Edit: I should mention the problem with doing Redcone is its one way so you would have to go through Webster pass and that shelf road that sucks, because it is way to narrow.

There are some passes that are fun from Leadville to fairplay, Mosquito pass is fun and not all that hard. If you get down to Buena Vista there is Chinamans, but that has some hard spots

Hey Romer,

Could you give a bit of definition to your use of "hard" trails?
(This could apply to all of our descriptions, I guess)

It's always interesting trying to gauge descriptions, since one person might call something tricky that others might consider easy. For example... I haven't done much of Moab. Barely any. But since I did Top of the World alone, I can compare its "difficulty ratings" in a book, and get at least a bit of a feel for how that book rates trails I haven't seen.

So... I'm curious.
-Since nearly all the drivers who did Ouray did Black Bear...and many have done Moab highlights...any chance you could compare difficulty of the trails you are referring to to some of these other trails many here have done? Just thinking it might allow people to better gauge descriptions like yours.

Would be great if you joined us. As you know better than me...this forum really comes alive after wheeling with folks here and it would be great to meet you. Looking forward to this trip--even 6 months out!

M

If I have more time I will bring my Kimberley Karavan, just would need to find a place to park it

I could bring my KK also- but a long haul- probably will hotel it- remember- it used to be called Vacation Club..

Glad to see water crossings- my snorkel just stiffened up a bit...

Hey Romer,

Could you give a bit of definition to your use of "hard" trails?
(This could apply to all of our descriptions, I guess)

It's always interesting trying to gauge descriptions, since one person might call something tricky that others might consider easy. For example... I haven't done much of Moab. Barely any. But since I did Top of the World alone, I can compare its "difficulty ratings" in a book, and get at least a bit of a feel for how that book rates trails I haven't seen.

So... I'm curious.
-Since nearly all the drivers who did Ouray did Black Bear...and many have done Moab highlights...any chance you could compare difficulty of the trails you are referring to to some of these other trails many here have done? Just thinking it might allow people to better gauge descriptions like yours.

Would be great if you joined us. As you know better than me...this forum really comes alive after wheeling with folks here and it would be great to meet you. Looking forward to this trip--even 6 months out!

M

Blackbear isn't really difficult in any spots IMOP. If Heights bother you it could be. As long as you go slow and careful down the part where you see Telluride, there really isnt anything to worry about. I have never done Top of the World, just added this year to Cruise Moab and will be doing it this year on Thursdays run

Holy Cross near Chinamans is a really hard trail. I have done it but not really my cup of tea anymore. Chinams, has a tricky part at the beginning you just have to drive off camper along a curved area to miss hitting a big rock.

I typically bypass the rockgarden. Those with 37" tires love it. Whale rock if you line up right is pretty easy. There are a couple spots if you dont pay attention there are big dips. Going with a group familiar and getting a spot here and there makes this doable. 200's could do this trail, but its one of those if you don't pay attention you could get some damage. I haven't really wheeled around Breckenridge so this should be fun.

We sometimes camp at Camp Hale, which is between the Minturn Exit on I-70 and Leadville. There are several fun wheeling spots there. Thats farther west from Breckenridge. I haven't wheeled around there yet.

I could bring my KK also- but a long haul- probably will hotel it- remember- it used to be called Vacation Club..

Glad to see water crossings- my snorkel just stiffened up a bit...

Understand the hotel. If you do decide to come to Cruise Moab. Cdan and I will be at Slickrock in spots 175 and 176 with both our Kimberleys. We call it camp Oz

Understand the hotel. If you do decide to come to Cruise Moab. Cdan and I will be at Slickrock in spots 175 and 176 with both our Kimberleys. We call it camp Oz
I was planning on coming this year to Cruise Moab- but we did Moab last August before Ouray and now we have this little shindig. So won't make it this year to Cruise Moab. Someone may talk some of us in doing a Pre-Breckenridge trip to Moab...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom