2009 LX570 Trans European Trail Overland Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Team,

Bear with me as I build out this thread to get all of my info in here. More details and pictures to come, but here's how she sits right now:

20220213_124712.jpg

Current/Upcoming Modifications

Tires​

• 285/70R17 BF Goodrich KO2's
  • Deiwe 17x8.5 2LX Wheels

Suspension​

• Stock AHC System Height
  • LX570 OEM 1" Front Spacers
  • Terrain Tamer Heavy Duty LC100 AHC Rear Springs
  • ARB Twin Compressor on SLEE engine bay mount
  • Airbag Man Heavy Duty Rear Airbag Kit

Brakes​

• Stock

Gearing​

• Stock

Power​

• Two Buttner 120AH AGM (House Batteries)
  • Optima Yellow Top 55AH (Starter/Primary Accessories)
  • National Luna Auxiliary Battery Box
  • SLEE Dual Battery Kit with REDARC BCDC Charger
  • SLEE Battery Upgrade Kit and Multi-mount trays
  • REDARC Battery Isolater Kit
  • TigerExped Distribution Block
  • Ective 2500W Inverter/Charger
  • Cascadia 4x4 LC200 Hood Mounted Solar Panel

Air/Fuel​

• Fabulous Fabrications 4" Snorkle
  • Trail'd 6-Gallon Liquid Carriers (x3) for 18 extra gallons total

Armor / Recovery​

• Gobi-X Rear Bumper with dual tire carrier or single tire & jerry can holder
  • TJM T15 Alloy Bull Bar
  • TJM 5400kg Winch
  • ARB Front Rated Recovery Points
  • TRED Pro Recovery Boards
  • TJM Large Recovery Kit
  • Deadman Offroad Ruggedized Recovery Kit
  • Terrafirma 9m Snatch Rope

Electronics​

• ARB Linx
  • Ultragauge MX14
  • Bluetooth Audio Adapter

Lighting​

• Stedi H3/H11/Fog/Rear/Marker LED bulb upgrades
  • Stedi ST-X E-Mark 21.5" Light Bar
  • Stedi ST-X E-Mark 50" Light Bar
  • Stedi Rock Lights for Wheel Wells
  • Stedi Rock Lights for Roof Rack

Roof Rack​

• Rhino Rack LC200/LX570 Backbone System
  • Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform for original Defender 110 modified for my application
  • Rhino Rack Hi-Lift/Shovel Mount
  • Victory 4x4 Roof Rack Side Panels
  • TRED Recovery Board Mount
  • Two Givi Dolomiti 30 Side Panniers with internal bags
  • Two Givi Trekker 110L Fix Mounted Cases
  • Two American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. Spare Tire Platform

Interior​

• Ququq Kombi v2 Camping Box
  • Victory 4x4 Molle Panels
  • 3D Printed Cupholder
  • Rightline Gear Storage Bags

Camping​

• James Baroud Grand Raid M RTT with two tunnels and the insulation kit
  • James Baroud Falcon 270 Awning with awning walls and mosquito net
  • James Baroud Shower Awning
  • Advanced Shelter Systems Shiftpod Mini (Pending)
  • Two Front Runner Dual Jerry Can holders
  • Sea to Summit Watercell X water bladders
  • Autoclima U-Go 12v AC/Heater

Last edited:
Is your tent on backwards?

Is your tent on backwards?
Yes, we mounted it backwards for a few reasons:

1. Requirement from my wife that if we bought a RTT, that we still be able to communicate and go between the car and the tent without going outside the vehicle. We bought a second tunnel and some additional panels so that the sunroof can still be covered while open with the tent.
2. Since we got the 270 awning the rear door on the RTT immediately becomes useless as soon as you put the awning out as well as the storage tray becomes inaccessible.
3. Having it reversed makes it easier to open and close IMHO. Bottom line, it means I only have to go around the vehicle once in order to open and close it instead of at least 1.5 times since I can reach both tent locks on the front (my rear) at the same time now.
4. Our larger Defender 110 pioneer platform was chosen specifically to allow for access to the sunroof while still having the ability to hold cargo which will be the tent ladder, all of our James Baroud tent accessories, as well as our Shiftpod Mini. Once all that cargo is removed from the front, it allows that cargo area to be used as a semi front porch with the window open.

I still haven't finished installing everything, will make more sense once I get it completely set-up. I have also been informed about the potential warranty issues with running it backwards, but I am committed now.

20220130_171819.jpg

Last edited:
Take a few pics of the tent open, I'd love to see this all in action!

Back in January we had our James Baroud Grand Raid M (Explorer) hard shell roof top tent installed. I've since remounted the tent as the original spacing of the crossbars was too far apart which meant that both of the rear tent mounts were not completely in the mounting rail (pics included) and that the tent was bowing ever so slightly in the middle. The install was substandard in my opinion, but since I asked for something custom, it's easier for me to just fix it then go through the hassle of making an issue of it in Germany.

Yes, the tent is mounted backwards for reasons that I mentioned in a previous post, but as you can see now from the completed pictures with the second tunnel over the sunroof, hopefully will make a bit more sense now.

20220125_104750.jpg

20220125_110317.jpg
20220208_141425.jpg
20220213_162031.jpg
20220213_162040.jpg

Last edited:
I recently had a conversation with Tim at Gamiviti - he sees a lot of people that run tents on his racks - and he recommended 3 crossbars for the longer rooftop tents to eliminate any potential bowing issues and better support the tent. Makes sense to me. Might be something worth looking into?

I recently had a conversation with Tim at Gamiviti - he sees a lot of people that run tents on his racks - and he recommended 3 crossbars for the longer rooftop tents to eliminate any potential bowing issues and better support the tent. Makes sense to me. Might be something worth looking into?

I completely agree. When I remounted the tent, I moved the front crossbar back about 8" so it's better now, but ideally I will add a third crossbar in the future. The biggest issue with that for me is actually the rhinorack backbone rails. They have the highest load limit of any aftermarket roof rack kit (to my knowledge) which is why I choose it, but the rails make it really difficult trying to get a wrench all the way to the middle of the rack to try tighten another set of tent mounts up. It's high on my to-do list, just have to get a few more things sorted out first.

I completely agree. When I remounted the tent, I moved the front crossbar back about 8" so it's better now, but ideally I will add a third crossbar in the future. The biggest issue with that for me is actually the rhinorack backbone rails. They have the highest load limit of any aftermarket roof rack kit (to my knowledge) which is why I choose it, but the rails make it really difficult trying to get a wrench all the way to the middle of the rack to try tighten another set of tent mounts up. It's high on my to-do list, just have to get a few more things sorted out first.

You may not need to use a securing bracket for the the middle rail. Just the two end rails. And leave the middle rail floating for support. You can probably add slight rubberized shim or gasket to that rail so it maintains some contact pressure.

That's how I run my RTT with the middle rail floating. It works great and there's no issue even over washboards or vibration off-roading.

You may not need to use a securing bracket for the the middle rail. Just the two end rails. And leave the middle rail floating for support. You can probably add slight rubberized shim or gasket to that rail so it maintains some contact pressure.

That's how I run my RTT with the middle rail floating. It works great and there's no issue even over washboards or vibration off-roading.
That's great feedback, thank you. I'll see about getting another 2cm crossbar underneath the tent before really taking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom