2008-2013 LC200 & LX570 Halogen Headlight Upgrade H11 to H9 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to pop in and let you guys know about this. I've searched the boards quite a few times and I havent seen any mention of this, the general train of thought when upgrading the original halogen are to go with the Hikari Eye of Megatron LED bulbs or grab some RX350 HID projectors. But then I found this thread on the TacomaWorld forums about headlight bulb testing:

Specifically this post on his expanded headlight testing:

While the results wont be 1:1 on our trucks, it's one of the few places I've found online that have tested headlight upgrades, both LED and halogen with data at a distance: of 18' -42' with a lightmeter vs just pictures of how the headlights look on a wall. He also goes into the reasoning behind why LED's arent the best option for headlights designed for halogen lights. Overall, if you are interested, there is a lot of good info that thread. He will give data on each bulb ranging from lux at 18' - 42' to color temp etc.

I've changed my bulbs from H11 to H9's and the difference is pretty impressive. As long as you dont mind the halogen color and are prize pure performance over color, I think anyone making the change will be satisfied.

Data:
Lux @18'

Stock:
H11: 623
H9 (Made in china, what you find on amazon): 1266

Hikari LED review + comparison to H9:

Lux @42"
H9: 257.9
Hikari LED: 224.4

End of Life H9 vs Hikari:
H9: 948.6
Hikari: 935.2

Also, if you live in a colder temp area, he's done testing on how much heat a LED gives off for snow melting:

Ambient 60 degrees
LED: 61.9 degrees
HID: 77.1 degrees
Stock: 118.3 degrees
H9: 139.6 degrees

How to trim a H9 to fit a H11:

TLDR:

The overall conclusion from is the H9 bulb, which runs at 65 watts vs the H11 55 watts, outperforms almost every other easy to install option that isnt HID. And due to the fact that the headlight was designed for halogen, the beam is naturally perfect. Even at end of life, the H9 still is brighter than a Hikari LED. If you live in a very snowy area, sticking with halogen will be even more preferred as LED snow clearing is minimal at best.

It is kind of sad this thread didn't get any traction.

I believe most LEDs fail to display about 20-30% of colors. Holagen has a perfect 100 CRI. Keep it classy.

Well thats easy, thanks

It is kind of sad this thread didn't get any traction.
Agreed.. This is good tech.

But the LED dogma is strong..

I never saw this post but have been disappointed with my stock headlights lately. Thanks for bringing it to the top, I’llbe giving this a try soon.

Thanks for this. H11 for Low/Fog will give it a try.... Finding the H9 is a challenge.

I'm also curious if anyone is running an external relay harness. Maybe with some high power bulbs?

I'm also curious if anyone is running an external relay harness. Maybe with some high power bulbs?
I'm not, don't even have halogen, but I can say that I've had a lot of toyotas and every one of them suffered from resistance in the headlight wiring, whether due to it being undersized originally or age, oxidation, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if an external relay harness would help out.

Here is a harness I made for for a first gen tundra. It required a resistor in the unused headlight harness to get things working correctly. I have also ordered from these guys and they do excellent work.

1664370159493.png

thanks for details @thought. In the process of researching my 13 lx headlight replacements. Considered led swap but the few times I’m in the snow will definitely lean me towards a more oem option.

Haven’t check the boards for a while but I’m glad I was able to help some of you guys out. The H9’s I’ve been running have been going strong and while I’ve thought about going the rx350 headlight route, the H9 performance is more than enough for my current needs.

Thanks for this. H11 for Low/Fog will give it a try.... Finding the H9 is a challenge.
Not sure if you need this advice anymore but you can easily find h9’s on Amazon. They’re just standard bulbs so they’re really easy to source.

Not sure if you need this advice anymore but you can easily find h9’s on Amazon. They’re just standard bulbs so they’re really easy to source.
Any specific recommendation you got ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom