2007 Specific Timing Belt Change Issue Belt removal and reassembly. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing the timing belt presently on my 2007 lx470. This is it's second belt change now at 189K (first done by a Toyota Specialty shop). Fortunately the teardown went well but presently I'm a little confused. The 2007 has a slightly different procedure for timing belt removal according to the Autodata instructions that came with my ASISN kit. From what I understand the crankshaft is to be turned COUNTERclockwise 50 degrees which brings the notch on the sprocket guide to the 12 o clock position. This in turn brings the camshaft hash mark about 25 degrees COUNERclockwise from the corresponding hash mark at 12 o clock (not the T mark but the hash mark).

I got the belt in the correct position (from what I understand) before belt removal but when the belt tension was released the passenger side cam rotated ON IT'S OWN CLOCKwise back to nearly where the TDC hash marks are back lined up. You can see were I used a black marker to record where the cam was before tension released. Now on the driver side the cam rotated in the OPPOSITE direction COUNTERclockwise and is now about 50 degrees from the TDC hash marks.

Now my question. Does any of this matter at this point? Is it normal for the cams to move that much? Was any damage done? I know they are supposed to be in particular positions to prevent damage on belt removal but I didn't think they would move on their own!?!? At this point I just need to put the belt back on with all the has marks lined up and all is well right?

for the VVTI models, for removal, rotate counterclockwise 45-50 degrees before top dead center prior to removal of the belt. Then you have to rotate the cams and the crank individually to TDC prior to replacement of the new belt…that’s according the 2006 FSM that I have. I can take picture tomorrow

Basically, you need to retime. Rotate the passenger side and driver side cams clockwise to the hash. Then rotate crank clockwise to TDC. Then put on belt. If the crankshaft was at 45-50 degrees before TDC, when everything moved, you should be fine. Even if it was not, everything is likely still fine

someone else can chime in

for the VVTI models, for removal, rotate counterclockwise 45-50 degrees before top dead center prior to removal of the belt. Then you have to rotate the cams and the crank individually to TDC prior to replacement of the new belt…that’s according your the 2006 FSM that I have. I can take picture tomorrow

Basically, you need to retime. Rotate the passenger side and driver side cams clockwise to the hash. Then rotate crank clockwise to TDC. Then put on belt. If the crankshaft was at 45-50 degrees before TDC, when everything moved, you should be fine. Even if it was not, everything is likely still fine

someone else can chime in
Yes, the crankshaft was at 50 before tdc.

On the cam gear you would see two markers one is straight line the other is "T". The "T" marker indicates the least tension section of the timing belt, which means at this location you would have less chance that the gears jump on you when you release the belt. I saw a lot of people just ignore this T mark all together and had no issue with that.

When you assemble the timing belt back on, the only thing matters is the alignment from marker on the timing belt to the gears. you don't need to align them with engine marker and you can adjust little bit gears to align. Do not rotate to much angle of any gears and rotate slowly you should be fine.

For VVTi engine there could be angle differences. However last time I changed my timing belt (06LX) just from T mark and the gears didn't jump on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom